Super Tech Synthetic 10w-30 - 9,303mi -08' KIA Sportage

Originally Posted by SR5
Excellent report, less than 1ppm Iron wear per 1,000 miles is great.
At KV100 = 10.8 cSt the oil is still in grade, and zinc at 830 ppm is nicely at the top of what the ILSAC limit allows.
The retained TBN is 1.3 after 9,300 miles, which is fine, but it says this is a 10,000 mile oil and I wouldn't go beyond that.
Great job that ST 10W30 synthetic! You could easily pay more and get less. Stick with this winner.

- Thanks! I agree.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Looks good, and what should be expected of most any oil on a well worn IN engine that is not wearing OUT.
I would say 10W30 is a good choice for AZ.
I was just out there in November for my niece's wedding in Scottsdale. I've never been west of the Mississippi. Folks told me that was a good time of year for tolerable weather.
In town is pretty badly over-built and intolerable, but 15 miles out of the center things were looking a bit more normal.
I would keep on keepin' on
smile.gif

- Thank you! Yes, the city and larger metropolitan areas are questionable… but do yourself a favor and take a drive outside the Phoenix area and head north. Absolutely beautiful part of the country.

9,300 miles over the winter months. Looks good.
This oil performs very well if you don't overextend it.
10,000 mi is it's limit in this application.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
How does an oil thought to be substandard by a lot of people here on BITOG pump out such a great UOA?

I don't feel WPp is thought of as "substandard" by many - M1 is the one that gets nailed for "high Iron" in many UOA threads

Like I said a few post earlier, a well worn-IN engine that is not wearing OUT will give good results, regardless.

Next, having OIL between parts is Job-1. Then you can talk and argue percentages of overbased detergents, FM, EP, VM and the like necessary for long service and low varnishing. Finally you change the oil now and then.

But I would still use a stunningly good oil for my car - like Valvoline Advanced - for a mere 10 bucks more an oil change.

Those of use with new engines can feel the difference - at least I can. Valvoline even Improved the rackety NIssan 2.5 with 58K on it.

Last edited:
I’m thinking that Costco’s Kirkland oil would produce similar results for you. If you're a member there you can save a few shekels 💰 on what is likely the same oil.

I’m thinking that Costco’s Kirkland oil would produce similar results for you. If you're a member there you can save a few shekels 💰 on what is likely the same oil.

Yes, I am a member and am using the Kirkland oil in my GF's Santa Fe right now. I would have used the Kirkland Oil but I prefer the 10W-30 weight vs. Kirkland's 5w-30. I would imagine these two are interchangable at this point. It just seems the 10w-30 is a better fit for our 110 deg temps.

I would exclusively buy it from Costco but I'm a sucker for the supertech hi-mi full syn only available at WM. Amazon Basics and Kirkland only do plain Full Synthetic. Their Hi-Mi formula's are only blends I believe.

Very nice, its not economy oil even though others consider it that.
Its "low markup oil" with the same exact API rating of the "name" brands.

I can't think of another oil to use in my application. The choices from Mobil or Chevron don't seem worth the extra few $$. Why? API ratings are there for a reason. This oil gets a bad rap.

JGmazda: yeah, ST oil is fine as is Harvest King oil made by Warren Oil out of Dunn NC.

API Certified is all that I look for🇺🇸🍻👍

I try to stay away from Warren Oil of Dunn NC. They got caught with some pretty shady Coastal (Straight 30 in multi labeled containers and 5W-30 in 5W-20 Containers) a good number of years back. I've always avoided them since.

WPP on the other hands products have always been exactly what they said they were. At $2.40 - 3.00 a quart when bought in 5 qt containers they make an excellent quality value oil in their synthetic.

I can't think of another oil to use in my application. The choices from Mobil or Chevron don't seem worth the extra few $$. Why? API ratings are there for a reason. This oil gets a bad rap.
I’m not so sure it gets a bad rap anymore, at least I don’t hear it, after countless UOAs have proved it the same as any oil with the same API.
We all buy feel good stuff and what makes us happy for whatever the reason... it’s all good right down to whatever fuel you put in your car

I’m not so sure it gets a bad rap anymore, at least I don’t hear it, after countless UOAs have proved it the same as any oil with the same API.
We all buy feel good stuff and what makes us happy for whatever the reason... it’s all good right down to whatever fuel you put in your car
It gets a bad rap from general purpose automotive forums where guys don't know what they're talking about and because it's Walmart's house brand, it must be crap.

^^ Yes, true, I do feel, some are slowly starting to realize, an oil of the same API is the same as another with the same. I think, maybe, just maybe the Dexos label helped some people see the "light"
Others, again, nothing wrong with choosing a more expensive oil if it makes someone feel better, we buy what makes us happy. But those who trash lower cost same rated API oils are just ignorant.

I would never have considered it in the past until I read so much praise on here. The only reason I haven't bought it is they don't seem to put it on sale at Walmart often (I also don't get there often as I prefer to shop at Canadian Tire). Usually I buy Mobil 1 or Castrol on sale. Not because I think it's a superior oil, but I try to buy the best I can get for a certain price point.

Now that our Costco is carrying Kirkland oil in boxes, the price is considerably less than what I was paying, so I may buy it in the future. Only downside is no high mileage, I'm trying to reduce some leaks.

If I wanted to save a few dollars, the Kirkland oil (Supertech) would be the way to go! 10w-30 seems to be a dying weight but I still prefer it for my 2008. In fact, my Buick LeSabre stamps it right on the oil cap. No reason NOT to use this weight, especially here in 113deg temps. (AZ).

I appreciate everyone's comments!

If I wanted to save a few dollars, the Kirkland oil (Supertech) would be the way to go! 10w-30 seems to be a dying weight but I still prefer it for my 2008. In fact, my Buick LeSabre stamps it right on the oil cap. No reason NOT to use this weight, especially here in 113deg temps. (AZ).

I recall a lot of 3800s calling for 10w30 as the preferred weight. Not sure why. I would prefer it for summer months in my work truck but it's never available on sale so I always have to run 5w30 (or 0w40 Mobil 1 Euro).

I'd jump on 10w30 full synthetic Kirkland if they had it at Costco for the same price as the 5w30.

Right now I would go with the Shell Rotella Gas Truck Synthetic for $10.45 per 5 qt or $2.45 qt at AAP. What will the more expensive Kirkland or SuperTech do that it won't?

Right now I would go with the Shell Rotella Gas Truck Synthetic for $10.45 per 5 qt or $2.45 qt at AAP. What will the more expensive Kirkland or SuperTech do that it won't?

$10.45 for 5-qts? That's a really good deal. Super Tech is under $14 near me. The Kirkland is even a better deal. I wouldn't say any of these oils are expensive at this point.

Thanks for the "thumbs up" guys. What about TBN? Do you think "1.3" is pushing it? Blackstone seems to think 10k is a good limit.

My own personal opinion is that people change their oil (If using Synthetic etc.) far sooner than they need to. I don't think my engine is hurting in this respect. But hey... you guys know waaaayyy more than I do!
grin.gif

TBN depletion is not linear, and (without going into detail) basically slows as the OCI progresses. IMO 10k will work, and after the next UOA, perhaps even further is possible on this oil depending on results.

I would exclusively buy it from Costco but I'm a sucker for the supertech hi-mi full syn only available at WM. Amazon Basics and Kirkland only do plain Full Synthetic. Their Hi-Mi formula's are only blends I believe.
jayjr1105 I’m really looking hard at the Supertech High Mileage Full Synthetic for the next OC in my 2005 Silverado. I just noticed, in the last few weeks, that it’s Dexos approved also, like Valvoline Full Synthetic with MaxLife.

Back