Super tech euro 5w40 - Canada

Hi everyone, first post here. I was just at my local walmart today and saw the walmart brand super tech 5w40 5L jug for 14.97 plus tax... checked the back and it says it meets the requirements of (in my case) vw 502/505 (but is it actually vw approved?).

From the little bit of searching i've done on BITOG, I know this oil is made by Warren. I haven't been able to find the oil spec sheet to give me flash point, pour point, etc and there doesn't seem to be much user info on it

So essentially i'm trying to gather if anyone has used this oil and what the results were... I was happy to find motomaster 5w40 on sale at canadian tire for 24.99 and thought that was a great deal, considering motomaster is made by shell, but at 15 bucks a 5L jug, you can't get much cheaper (for synthetic in canada)...question is how good, or bad is this oil? I wouldn't hesitate on the motomaster at all, but this i'm having second thoughts, although i'm sure it'll be fine... everything i've read about the other super tech weights has been nothing but good things

20200703_193542.jpg

20200703_193551.jpg

Originally Posted by Johan1
Interesting, never heard of mag 1 until now but that's because i've never seen it in Canada, which would make sense why supertech 5w40 is only sold in Canada

edit: well, i'm sold, the mag 1 is on the approved oil list for vw. Gonna go pick up a bunch more jugs and stock up

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10161673-0001.pdf

Mag 1 is on the list but the Supertech is not. This is not a 502 00 approved oil, in fact it has none of the approvals listed on the container. All are "recommended for."

Originally Posted by kschachn
Interesting, never heard of mag 1 until now but that's because i've never seen it in Canada, which would make sense why supertech 5w40 is only sold in Canada

edit: well, i'm sold, the mag 1 is on the approved oil list for vw. Gonna go pick up a bunch more jugs and stock up

Mag 1 is on the list but the Supertech is not. This is not a 502 00 approved oil, in fact it has none of the approvals listed on the container. All are "recommended for."

I do understand that, I based my comment off supertech being repackaged mag 1. I'm not saying that it is, hence why I'm trying to figure out what exactly supertech oil is.

The motomaster 5w40 is also not on the approved list, but it's made by shell and seems to be similar to pennzoil euro 5w40 and Quaker stake euro 5w40

Approval List that doesn't bear a specific name brand oil name, doesn't mean the oil won't work in that application. It means the oil maker wasn't going to pay the premium price that the Approval List Organization wants in-return.

OVERKILL has a post yesterday discussing this. Click on his name - then click on his recent posts.

Is that $14.97 Canadian?...if so..that's a great deal...I might not use it in a new Porsche but I wouldn't hesitate to
use it in a VW 2.0, 2.5 or even a TSI.

All of which is fine, but approvals don't carry over across brands. The Supertech is what it says it is, API SN and likely ACEA A3/B4 but that's it.

You're welcome to use it as a "recommended for" of course but it does not have the approvals listed.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
OVERKILL has a post yesterday discussing this. Click on his name - then click on his recent posts. It means the oil maker wasn't going to pay the premium price that the Approval List Organization wants in-return.

OVERKILL was discussing an oil with a certification not an approval, and the reason was political.

The old "they don't want to pay the price for the approval" argument is getting a bit tiresome. Bottom line is that this oil is not VW approved, plain and simple.

Well technically I suspect the oil is approved. But I would call WPP to confirm VW has approved the container. Wouldn't want issues over an unapproved container.

Both the Mag1 PDS and SuperTech pictured bottle in this post say "Meets Requirements". So they both do or don't meet requirements.

Johan1 said:
edit:

I do understand that, I based my comment off supertech being repackaged mag 1. I'm not saying that it is, hence why I'm trying to figure out what exactly supertech
---------------------------------------------------
SuperTech oils aren't repackaged MAG1, they're typically made/formulated by the same companies/blenders that MAG1 is made by. Here in the States, SuperTech is blended by 2-3 different blenders. IDK about the MAGSTER.
wink.gif

Last edited:
well, i'm sure it's a decent oil either way, was just hoping someone had more info or maybe a spec sheet

I have ask for, and received, many PDF's (spec sheets) from warren distribution and the Mag1 and SuperTech were identical.
Go to the "Contact" page and ask for the PDF for the SuperTech oil you are interested in. They are very responsive.

http://www.wd-wpp.com/

That is half the price of the next best deal we normally get at Walmart and Canadian Tire (around $30 regular $60ish).
Best deal I've seen. I'd go for it.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
I have ask for, and received, many PDF's (spec sheets) from warren distribution and the Mag1 and SuperTech were identical.
Go to the "Contact" page and ask for the PDF for the SuperTech oil you are interested in. They are very responsive.

http://www.wd-wpp.com/

Thanks for the link, I've sent them an email re spec sheet for both supertech and mag 1 5w40. I will report back when I get a reply.

Cheers

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
That is half the price of the next best deal we normally get at Walmart and Canadian Tire (around $30 regular $60ish).
Best deal I've seen. I'd go for it.

Check your local wally world, might be full of stock!

Thanks for the link, I've sent them an email re spec sheet for both supertech and mag 1 5w40. I will report back when I get a reply.

I predict that they say the Supertech oil does not have any of the approvals listed (in accordance with the label) but they recommend it for those applications requiring those approvalS (in accordance with the label).

If they are honest which I also predict they will be.

Back