Super Tech Box-O-Oil Experience

the Havoline 6 quart box is perhaps the easiest change I have done. But I have vehicles with a 6 .2-6.4 qt capacity.
pour the entire contents of oil into the engine, and the box holds the entire contents of the drained sump. it was as easy to pour into the boxedcotained as a jug. Now you get to those bigger jugs the logistics get more difficult.

Purchased a 3 gallon/12 quart box of synthetic 5W-30 some months ago for $20 during a rollback/clearance. Last weekend I changed the oil in 3 vehicles that use 5W-30. Bottom line is dealing with that box, for me, was a PITA coming and going and certainly extended the time it takes for an oil change. Primarily decanting and measuring the oil into an already empty 5 quart oil jug (thank goodness for the clear view quart markings on the side) and then the tortured process for getting the used oil back into the bag. Buying a SN Plus/dexos1 GEN2 oil for $1.67/qt. is nice but I'm a jug man for now on.

View attachment 29734

I like the idea of the box thing. It's just my 2019 Sorento takes 5 qrts. on the nose so it's much easier to buy a 5 qrt. jug of PP or Castrol Mag and be done with it.

I am not racing to do a 15 minute quickie oil change like the lube places. So the extra time in dealing with a box measuring out or having to transfer to another container to pour does not bother me.

My only concern is buying boxed/bagged oil and having it on hand for long term storage stash. Not sold on the idea yet of keeping it on the shelf long and not leaking.

Reactions: JTK
do the bags all use the same cap size? if they do, it seems pretty easy to buy a spout and lay the thing on a rack and dispense the oil into another container. even maybe dispense it into a old 1 quart bottle.

from what I understand is the 12 quart boxes of Supertech have a spigot already on it so no spout is required.

my plan when i eventually use the Supertech box oil that I have, I'm simply going to drain it into a 5 quart jug from a previous oil change to measure it etc. not really that hard to figure out.

All my waste oil goes into 2.5 gallon jugs that I reuse, or a 5 gallon bucket that still has the lid on it which i reuse as well just for drain oil.

the 6 quarts Havoline boxes have just a plain cap

Maybe someone already mentioned this: why not get 3 regular 5-qt oil jugs and fill them up with the 3-gallon box? Should be pretty quick & easy, and an obvious solution. Are you giving away all your jugs when recycling the used oil?

The only way I see it working well is if you set the box on a rack, and pour it into a measured oil pouring device, then pour that into the car.

Waste oil would need to go into a cat litter bucket, there would be no way I would get it back in that bag.

Exactly what I did. No big deal to me.

I've never used the boxed oil but for disposing used oil, I use an empty kitty litter pail to store used oil. When full the lid snaps tight and I take it to Walmart for disposal.

Y'all have never had cheap wine that comes in a box?

I buy boxed wine all the time...'Black Box', 'Bota Box' etc....very good quality to value proposition.

PS: I think trying to pour used oil back into the bag in the box would be like trying to pee into the bag in the wine box after drinking it......I'd use a gallon milk jug or two instead...

I'll stick with jugs. I don't care for the box, and the oil I am currently using isn't offered in a box.

I like the idea of the box thing. It's just my 2019 Sorento takes 5 qrts. on the nose so it's much easier to buy a 5 qrt. jug of PP or Castrol Mag and be done with it.
My truck takes EXACTLY six quarts. Boxes would be perfectly fine with me.

Dunno, the 5 quart jugs are so easy....
If I ran a shop, buying 10 at a time might make sense.

What I don't like is single quart containers.

I guess I'm a weirdo. I've always preferred quart bottles out of a 12 quart case. I wash my bottles so they can be recycled.

Back