Super Hot Fish at local fish monger restaurant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I go to "Cod and Capers" restaurant regularly. It's in Juno Beach, FL (on the East coast, near Jupiter) . They are a fish monger kind of place, with a nice eatery attached.

In any case, when I order a dolphin sandwich, it's so hot it just about burns me when I bite into it, and it's heavenly. I love my food piping hot, near the boiling point. So I find it absolutely delicious. I've never been anywhere else where fish is so moist and so hot.

However, try as I might, whether I grill, pan fry or bake, I can't get my home cooked fish that hot. I just grilled Mahi tonight over charcoal on the Weber with every attempt at getting it hot. While it was really tasty and fully cooked, it was not anywhere near the stupidly hot fish from Cod and Capers.

My question is: How do they get it so hot? Microwave after grilling?

Originally Posted by Cujet
In any case, when I order a dolphin sandwich, it's so hot it just about burns me when I bite into it, and it's heavenly.

I thought eating Flipper wasn't PC anymore, that is, if the mercury doesn't kill you first.

Originally Posted by atikovi
In any case, when I order a dolphin sandwich, it's so hot it just about burns me when I bite into it, and it's heavenly.

I thought eating Flipper wasn't PC anymore, that is, if the mercury doesn't kill you first.

Dolphin=mahi-mahi

Dolphin like Flipper is a mammal, Dolphin fish is like Mahi mahi and really good to eat.

Originally Posted by CT8

Dolphin like Flipper is a mammal, Dolphin fish is like Mahi mahi and really good to eat.

OK but then why do they make it a big deal when marketing tuna that it was caught by dolphin safe fishing?

Dolphin fish: (not the same as the mammal)

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Seconds off a piping hot restaurant quality grill? Like how pizza at home just cant be the same...

I will put this place in my phone...

Try the Fish House in Bonita Springs if you are even om the West Coast... Best grouper bites i've had.

Originally Posted by CT8

OK but then why do they make it a big deal when marketing tuna that it was caught by dolphin safe fishing?

Sometimes the dolphin mammals get caught in the fishing nets and drown. They do something to minimize that.

Originally Posted by CT8

Weird but some websites described him as a Porpoise. Probably a Dolphin. They're both mammals.

Last edited:
Maccas "fillet of fish" down here used to burn you with the fish when I was a teen.

I think that it was the flakiness of the fish, which could expose a half square inch of hot fish meat to the lip or mouth that made it seem so ridiculously hot...a good piece of fish does that too

Funny how the OP's question regarding the heating of food got set aside while many went on about good fish recipes and restaurants.

There's a restaurant tool called a "salamander" (I think). It's a red hot heater and you set your food in it.
I believe the unit is height adjustable.

"Be careful, the plate is hot".

ANECDOTE:
There's an annual fund raiser here which is held at a big hall called Seasons in Washington Township, NJ.
The entree is always a choice among beef prime rib, a sauced chicken and salmon with garlic potatoes and spinach.
The heat of the salmon dish AMAZED ME. On 18 Nov. we're attending our 3rd such fund raiser and I'll be selecting the salmon for the 3rd time.

This year I will time how long it takes to deliver 360 plates of food.

Funny. When I was dating my wife, we were out to eat and I ordered dolphin knowing full well it was Mahi Mahi. She about had a fit and broke up with me right there because she thought I was having Flipper. All I could think was is this chick serious?

I'm amazed ANY restaurant still calls it dolphin. I caught a bunch of Mahi Mahi in Puerto Rico once. Fun to catch and we ate like kings that night.

I'll ask my chef friend about the temperature thing. I bet they might finish it in a Salamander. Those things put a lot of heat into food very quickly.

OK.. I asked my friend. He basically said what was posted in other posts. The restaurant stuff is hotter, anything that can be hot is hot, like the roll and the plate. One thing I learned from him is to not put hot food on cold bread or a cold plate. I heat up everything.

Originally Posted by NYEngineer
OK.. I asked my friend. He basically said what was posted in other posts. The restaurant stuff is hotter, anything that can be hot is hot, like the roll and the plate. One thing I learned from him is to not put hot food on cold bread or a cold plate. I heat up everything.

The sandwich has lettuce and onions on it. They are clearly not hot, and the bun is room temp too. I'm thinking they put the fish in the microwave for a bit before serving it.

Plus, a hot serving plate won't help this particular situation. And, the plates clearly are not hot.

Try as I might, I can't get my fish that hot at home.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back