Suggestions for next purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the idea of a 357 lever gun--good all around fun gun. But I think we need to define "long distance tack driver", as there is a difference between 100 yards (what I'd call long with iron sights) and 1,000 yards (what I'd call long under any circumstance).

I think you've got your bases covered (although I'm not quite sure what the 308 is, if it's a tack driver or more tactical than that). Only thing I can see really missing is a tactical 22 handgun. Cheaper trigger practice than your 40 cal.

Originally Posted By: supton
I like the idea of a 357 lever gun--good all around fun gun. But I think we need to define "long distance tack driver", as there is a difference between 100 yards (what I'd call long with iron sights) and 1,000 yards (what I'd call long under any circumstance).

I think you've got your bases covered (although I'm not quite sure what the 308 is, if it's a tack driver or more tactical than that). Only thing I can see really missing is a tactical 22 handgun. Cheaper trigger practice than your 40 cal.

500-800 yards is really what I'd be looking at if I go with a rifle. 500 yards would be my max I'd feel comfortable for killing coyotes. I would probably still be afraid to take the shot at that distance, but I'd want something I know if I had to I could reach out and touch them. I tend to use even my fun guns for more than just shooting paper.
The Saiga was just one of those guns I got brand new, secondhand at a good price. It started out as a truck gun but it's gone back to the safe and the shotgun has been doing more of the heavy lifting.

The 22-250 Remington is used to long range prairie dog shooters and I have heard of people taking Coyotes at 400 to 500 yards with hot loads.

Last edited:
Lever guns are much fun! Depends on what you like and what you'd like in your collection.

@ JHZR2- I don't know what you can hunt with in Pa since I don't hunt....I just collect and shoot....a lot! A lot of hunters have asked me about hunting here but, nah, we don't shoot 'em, we name 'em! Yeah, a .38/357 could easily be used at an indoor range. We have our own range so we shoot what we want....when it's cold (or like when I was recovering from heart surgery) we shoot from our heated garage or dining room doors (my wifes idea since it was difficult to make it to the garage during recooperation, Man, I LOVE this woman!). I have a Puma lever (the only one that's not a Marlin) and it shoots great!

To the OP, once things get back to normal, check out different firearms and pick out what catches your eye.....22LR pistols are a LOT of fun but .458 Lotts are even more of a good thing....Practical? Nope, but they're also not something everyone else on the block is going to have either. We have everything from .177 BB/pellet guns (they get used more than anything) to .50BMG.

Originally Posted By: msmoke00
Currently own:
12 ga Benelli Nova pump
Glock 23 Gen 4 .40 cal
Saiga .308
Marlin 795 .22LR

I feel like I've got the bases covered for my purposes, so now comes for enjoyment. What gun would compliment my current ones as a for fun gun? I've been thinking of more of a tack driver for long range fun but looking for anything that will peak my interest.

You need a lever action rifle. They are lots of fun. The 357 rifles are very good, but they cost more than a 44 and are hard to find. Supply and demand set the price for the 357 Lever gun.

After looking your list over again, my choices if I were in your shoes would be a .22LR pistol as I posted before OR a lever action .357 lever rifle....the .45-70 levers are fun but as JHZR2 and Loobed said, the .357's are more fun and .38's are a hoot....perfect for the ladies and kids too!

Originally Posted By: msmoke00
Currently own:
12 ga Benelli Nova pump
Glock 23 Gen 4 .40 cal
Saiga .308
Marlin 795 .22LR

I feel like I've got the bases covered for my purposes, so now comes for enjoyment. What gun would compliment my current ones as a for fun gun? I've been thinking of more of a tack driver for long range fun but looking for anything that will peak my interest.

You need a revolver!

I really like shooting my Marlin 1894C in .357magnum. You can shoot it all day and not get beat up. Some folks shoot .38spl. in it, but I don't because of the crud ring the shorter cartridge leaves in the chamber. Out of an 18 inch barrel, the .357 almost doubles the muzzle energy vs. out of a pistol. Makes a practical SD gun for the house, excellent plinker, and depending on the bullet, good up to deer out to 100 yards. I reload jacketed bullets for about $0.26 per round, so it's cheap to get good.
The Marlin design is very easy to field strip and clean from the breech, goes about 6lbs. loaded. A scope isn't necessary, but I recommend the factory sight be replaced with an XS peep sight. It appears that Remington finally has the lever-action figured out. My latest purchase, a 336 in 30-30 is well put together and tight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back