Suggest pads for a mk7 GTI

FMSI fitments D1633 front; D1108 rear. This is for the "performance pack" brake system with 340/310mm rotors.

I'm looking for a low dust formulation with at least OEM bite/feel. No track days or mountainous driving (I live in Florida and the only time our rotors glow red is when Floridaman is running from the popo). I believe the factory fronts are GG and the rears might be GF or FG.

Element3 has been my go-to but I'm slightly worried about recent reports of QC issues. Anything else GG-rated I might want to try?

There will be no aftermarket pads with "low dust formulation with at least OEM bite/feel".

If you want OEM bite/feel, then you need the OE parts. I owned a 2017 GTI for a couple of years, and the factory brakes were impressive and worth the dusty wheels that needed cleaning at least once a week!

Textar and ATE have ceramic options that tend to be above average and should have lower dust. The initial bite and feel won't be as good, but might be good enough? FCP touts their TRW Ultra Ceramic pads as an option as well, although I have no experience with them. The quality of the above options should be far better than the Raybestos EHT pads.

EBC Redstuff. Aramid fiber and ceramic granules compound. At least equal to OE pads on my 328. Low dust, good bite without waiting for the pads to heat up. Suitable for spirited road driving and mild tracking. Happy with Textar OE pads on the Mini and sticking with them.

Last edited:
I have tried various aftermarket pads when I had my 2016 GTI PP. NOTHING low dust compared to OE pads and only a couple "dustier" pads came close. My Favorite out of all of them were the Porterfield R4-S compounds. They are dusty, but not quite OE level. Great bite dead cold, super pedal feel with easy modulation and very linear. Those and the OE Pagids were the best, just got used to washing wheels more often as the tradeoff for superior braking. Heard Redstuffs were a good "low dust" alternative though, but never used them.

Ugh. Not what I wanted to hear. I was hoping someone would tell me they put Element3 on their GTI and they fit/work great. I used them my Mustang circa 2018 and was really happy with them. That said, the OEM Ford pad they replaced was very mild-mannered.

The OEM pads on my GTI not only throw off a crapton of dust, they even sound abrasive as you roll to a stop, kinda like the Raybestos Brutestop from 20 years ago. They're not all that rotor-friendly either (again like the Brutestop). I drive gently but my rotors are lightly scored after only 13k miles.

EBC Redstuff is interesting. I wonder if it lives up to EBC's promises.

Ugh. Not what I wanted to hear. I was hoping someone would tell me they put Element3 on their GTI and they fit/work great. I used them my Mustang circa 2018 and was really happy with them. That said, the OEM Ford pad they replaced was very mild-mannered.

The OEM pads on my GTI not only throw off a crapton of dust, they even sound abrasive as you roll to a stop, kinda like the Raybestos Brutestop from 20 years ago. They're not all that rotor-friendly either (again like the Brutestop). I drive gently but my rotors are lightly scored after only 13k miles.

You'll see EBC Redstuff on every Shopdap and HumbleMechanic build and that's a pretty strong endorsement.

Try Zimmermann pads.

You'll see EBC Redstuff on every Shopdap and HumbleMechanic build and that's a pretty strong endorsement.
Both collaborate with one another and take sponsorships. Not really a great reason.

I like both guys and what they are doing for the VAG community but end of the day, they are getting paid to push some products.

My default has always been element 3 on asian daily drivers. But Textar/zimmerman/akebono for the euro cars.

RedSTuff is good! I would say bit less dust, but also bit less of bite.
On my BMW Jurid had pretty low dust and was still biting like crazy.

Back