Submerging watch in cleaning vinegar

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
Metal watch with metal wristband, water resistant up to 5 ATM (73 psi) supposedly. It has accrued a little grime in the band and around the adjustment dials. I would like to submerge it in cleaning vinegar (6%) for a few hours then scrub with a tooth brush. Is this a safe way of cleaning a watch? I was initially thinking of an ultrasonic cleaner but I wouldn't want to put a watch through ultrasonic vibrations.

How old is it? When was the last time its seals were replaced? It should be safe if those answers are appropriate.
I have a bronze watch that naturally develops a patina of wear, and I have immersed it in vinegar to remove the patina. No problems. But it's rated to 300m / 1000' and has fresh seals. I have immersed other water resistant watches for cleaning, no problems. But then I've also seen supposedly water resistant watches leak because their seals got old, dry, cracked.

How old is it? When was the last time its seals were replaced? It should be safe if those answers are appropriate.
I have a bronze watch that naturally develops a patina of wear, and I have immersed it in vinegar to remove the patina. No problems. But it's rated to 300m / 1000' and has fresh seals. I have immersed other water resistant watches for cleaning, no problems. But then I've also seen supposedly water resistant watches leak because their seals got old, dry, cracked.
Watch is from 2017, original seals, they look intact and soft.

If you were certain your watch's seals were good etc., could you immerse it in an ultrasonic cleaner?

I've carefully suspended metal watch bands in the ultrasonic cleaner and was amazed how much grunge came out.

Wife cleans some of her jewelry with baking soda, warm water and tooth brush. She also has a very old tea serving set that tarnishes really bad over time and that baking soda works really well.

If you were certain your watch's seals were good etc., could you immerse it in an ultrasonic cleaner?

I've carefully suspended metal watch bands in the ultrasonic cleaner and was amazed how much grunge came out.
I can suspending it would be better than letting it touch the bowl of the cleaner. The watch has electronics and mechanicals in it so I don't know how vibration resistant the internals are.

BTW, you can condition the seals with silicone grease. It restores and prevents them from drying out. I use a brand called Trident which is food grade, can also be used in espresso machines, on scuba regulators, etc.

Remove the bracelet from the watch head. Soak the bracelet in soapy water and scrub it with your wife's soft toothbrush.
Clean the watch head with a soft damp cloth. Remove any potential gunk you see with a pointy wooden toothpick. Avoid warm water and surfactants on the watch head because both are detrimental to maintaining a tight seal.

Last edited:
Back