Subaru Quality Strikes Again!!!

I'm an oddball, but I wish they made their vehicles available with just front wheel drive. Why do they ignore this part of the market?

Basically, Subaru adopted all-wheel-drive as a standard feature to differentiate themselves from the competition. In the 1990s the company was doing poorly in the U.S. and they even considered pulling out. (Although Subaru had offered 4WD since the early 1970s it was an optional, manually-operated, part-time system not available on all models.)

It used to be that one of Subaru's biggest selling points was front drive, which in their early days here was an unusual, almost exotic feature. However by the 1990s it was just "me too". Having standard all-wheel-drive across the board gave them a feature the others in their class didn't have. It proved to be a very successful strategy so they have stuck with it, the BRZ excepted.

Basically, Subaru adopted all-wheel-drive as a standard feature to differentiate themselves from the competition. In the 1990s the company was doing poorly in the U.S. and they even considered pulling out. (Although Subaru had offered 4WD since the early 1970s it was an optional, manually-operated, part-time system not available on all models.)

It used to be that one of Subaru's biggest selling points was front drive, which in their early days here was an unusual, almost exotic feature. However by the 1990s it was just "me too". Having standard all-wheel-drive across the board gave them a feature the others in their class didn't have. It proved to be a very successful strategy so they have stuck with it, the BRZ excepted.

Their front wheel drive system, IMO, would still be far superior to a transverse setup. I do not like any transverse applications unless it's something like a Geo Metro or Mirage with a tiny engine. It would still be a very easy to service engine, equal length CV shafts so no torque steer. The packaging of Subaru's horizontally opposed engines and longitudinal layout are just excellent.

If you bought the car NEW and had it serviced three times for the same problem then file a federal lemon law claim. They have to take back your car and refund your money or give you a new car, your choice. It is a federal law that includes the manufacturer pays your attorney fees too.

You said the car was purchased at 150 miles. If you bought it as anything other than a new car you have no recourse under the lemon law but you might in your own state. Like if it was a manufacturer car, demo or any words like that.

I asked my son the other day how is the A/C on his 2020 Impreza Premium hatchback and he says it is ice cold.
ice cold on our 20' forester as well......much colder than our 19' crv...

Reactions: wdn
Their front wheel drive system, IMO, would still be far superior to a transverse setup. I do not like any transverse applications unless it's something like a Geo Metro or Mirage with a tiny engine. It would still be a very easy to service engine, equal length CV shafts so no torque steer. The packaging of Subaru's horizontally opposed engines and longitudinal layout are just excellent.
Perhaps, but I always thought part of the gain of traverse was to avoid hypoid gears. Less friction in that final drive.

Dropped it off this morning for the next AC failure! I noticed oil leaking on the lines going to the firewall. Sure enough, they were bad and got replaced.

Now if I could only get an evaporator core replacement ...

Sorry to hear about the a/c. My coworker has a 2016 forester, I asked him if he has any problems with his ac, which he does not. He is aware of the problem from forums.

My 98 STi wagon I got from Japan still had cold ac when i got it 6 years ago. I had to refill it 2 summers ago. Although its winter in winnipeg for 8 months so ac hvac is not stressed.

And my ej20 does seem to retard the timing a bit when the ac is on.

I did look into lemon law a few times. Unfortunately, this car did not qualify for a lemon law when it was under warranty.

How many days a year do you really need AC in Central NY? I never had it once when I was growing up in Oregon and we really only suffered about 10-15 days a year.

Down here in Texas I use the AC 12 months of the year. There's always some humid days in the wintertime even.

How many days a year do you really need AC in Central NY? I never had it once when I was growing up in Oregon and we really only suffered about 10-15 days a year.

Down here in Texas I use the AC 12 months of the year. There's always some humid days in the wintertime even.
Gets pretty humid in NY. I recall it being plenty sticky when I lived there (been 30 years but I doubt it's changed). Even NH can get real humid and warm.

I read on a different forum that 2014 thru 2018 Foresters are known for AC problems . The problem appears to have been corrected .

3 weeks a year. If I had bought the car with an AC delete kit and received a credit for not having AC, I wouldn't mind not having AC. My other two vehicles do not have AC.

With that said, my German Shepherd needs the AC a lot more than I do.

Here in Miami Beach A/C is needed 12 months a year. Even in the winter it is a burning hot sun and jungle humidity the bulk of the time. Winters used to be very low humidity but now it is even humid in the winter months unfortunately. It is impossible to sell a vehicle without ice cold air here in Miami.

Back