Subaru Outback with 6 speed manual - which years of 2.5L had the HG issue resolved?

You might be better served with a Forester. It was the first Subaru to get the FB engine, starting in 2011.
The Legacy and Outback didn't get the FB until 2013.

This is very helpful. I thought about the Forester. Don't really understand what the nuances are vs. Outback. Other than it's shorter, seats 1" higher, taller roof, has similar cargo space.
The forester is taller shorter and narrower, IMO they ride a bit rougher too, atleast my parents 2015 Forester does, but my 2018 Outback has 80's Buick springs and shocks, with some decent stiffness sway bars. I still don't mind hustling it a little on winding cottage country highways, YMMW.
The 2015 Outback had much stiffer suspension and with a manual might be a better canyon carver? I've never been in one though. If you don't need AWD I would say don't get AWD, but I guess for even a 2wd largish wagon, of the mid 2010's with a manual transmission, there isn't much choice.
A 2.5 VW wagon might get the same mileage as an AWD Outback? The TDI wagons are a bit of a risk. Atleast here the 1.8T sportwagens are overpriced used IMO. We actually got manual Kia Rondo's up here, the US may not of. The Focus hatch has got some cargo space, and is a simple solid platform. 2010+ Volvos or MINI's aren't for me, but the largest MINI's atleast came with manuals. I think they are about as big inside as the Focus hatch.

Opinion on this 2012 Forester AWD with manual?

I would find out and ask the right questions to find out if it has had a short block replacement and if the previous owners have been good about keeping oil topped off as the 2011-2013 Forester version of the FB25 does not have a low oil level light and only has a low pressure light.

Nope

🛑

FB is the newer engine series that Subaru is using.

The old engine is called EJ.

Besides better head gaskets, the FB has a timing chain rather than a stupid timing belt.
The above 2012 Subaru guy wrote back to me when I inquired about if any HG work has been done.
is this true?

There is no oil leak from the head gasket.
Only time you replace the head gasket if there is an oil leak.
If you are interested let me know. Thanks

The above 2012 Subaru guy wrote back to me when I inquired about if any HG work has been done.
is this true?

There is no oil leak from the head gasket.
Only time you replace the head gasket if there is an oil leak.
If you are interested let me know. Thanks
That is incorrect. Especially for the 2010-2012 outback and legacy where they usually leak internally combustion gases to coolant without leaking externally oil or coolant.

Just a single data point - our 2010 Forester had a head gasket fail at about 90,000 miles.

The 2010 Forester still had the EJ. The following year (2011) is when it got the FB.

That is incorrect. Especially for the 2010-2012 outback and legacy where they usually leak internally combustion gases to coolant without leaking externally oil or coolant.

I thought only the DOHC EJ25D leaked internally, while the SOHC leaked externally :unsure:

I thought only the DOHC EJ25D leaked internally, while the SOHC leaked externally :unsure:
The sohc ej253 in the 2010-2012 outback and legacy uses different MLS head gaskets, has a redesigned cylinder head and when the gaskets leak it is usually internal combustion to coolant. Not to be confused with the other versions of sohc ej25 which usually leak oil and coolant externally followed usually by combustion to coolant internally.

Why? That looks about as exciting to drive as an F150 V6 with a stick. Most people buy a stick in a fun sporty car. Seems like driving would be a chore in that.
Driving a slow car fast is not bad with a manual? I can't say I've ever wished for an automatic in a slow car either? On the a gravel road, or in the snow, a manual Outback would be fun to slide around a bit without worrying about getting bit by 400hp...

2014 Subaru Impreza bought new now with 90,000 miles. Never burned any oil the CVT has been trouble free and the fluid has never been changed. Other than tires and brakes and a tail light bulb it has been trouble free but it is just starting to weep oil from the timing chain cover. I don't keep cars forever if it would start to have trouble I'd replace it.

My daughter wants a Subaru so bad but between the head gaskets and the CVT issues it sure seems like a risk for any year/model.
Does she live near you? You should stop into a local transmission shop and ask how the 2015's and up are doing? The transmissions should be getting good workout in the mountains at that altitude, lots of shifting, and load, compared to us flat landers.

Does she live near you? You should stop into a local transmission shop and ask how the 2015's and up are doing? The transmissions should be getting good workout in the mountains at that altitude, lots of shifting, and load, compared to us flat landers.
Great point. I found a 2015 with a dead motor in otherwise great shape but got scared to buy it without knowing if it had transmission issues too.

Back