Subaru Oil Filter Housing Drain?

The drain hole on the side of the oil filter bowl. Where does this oil actually flow down to? I’ve just been wiping the bowl clean every OCI. On our ‘22 Crosstrek.
IMG_8823.jpeg
IMG_5735.jpeg

It’s just a little depression AFAIK. I’ve never noticed any real volume of oil going down that spot. I hose off the housing with brake cleaner before and after changing the oil filter on the ‘18 Forester I service.
That’s what I was thinking. I couldn’t imagine it just flowing back into the engine just open like that with dirt/debris flying around in the engine compartment.

That’s actually a good question. Never thought about it. I hope that it doesn’t go to the sump.

I was just thinking about this today -- although I think there was another thread where a member was concerned about the mess the filter leaves, but I couldn't find it.

I just changed the oil in a '15 Forester 2.5 with a cheap Champ PH2867 and a "noticeable" amount of oil came out of the filter. I wiped the bowl clean of course or it would have been a real dirt attractant.

Then today I did an '11 Forester 2.5 with a Wix 57712 and virtually zero oil came out of the filter.

If anything the latter had less elapsed time before filter removal than the former.

While I realize this not exactly contemplating the meaning of life, I wonder why this is? ADBV differences? Completely random? Barometric pressure? Cycles of the moon?

Back