Subaru Japan now only recommends two oil grades 0W30 and 10W50

Some of us just believe that the improvements in fuel efficiency are so marginal that we'd rather weight our decision more towards the longevity considerations.

And that is a unanswered question. How much if any longevity is someone giving up by using a lower grade of oil? Engines are not wearing out in droves.

And that is a unanswered question. How much if any longevity is someone giving up by using a lower grade of oil? Engines are not wearing out in droves.

For the average driver - probably not enough to matter. But I also know (roughly) how much fuel efficiency you're gaining and I just don't see the point.

If you're not the average driver because you're driving a performance car hard or you're the sort to keep a vehicle 2 - 3 times longer than most people, the difference might be enough to matter to you.

I guess at the end of the day, I'm just not very enthused about having a bunch of politicians have a lot of say over what oil I use.

For the average driver - probably not enough to matter. But I also know (roughly) how much fuel efficiency you're gaining and I just don't see the point.

If you're not the average driver because you're driving a performance car hard or you're the sort to keep a vehicle 2 - 3 times longer than most people, the difference might be enough to matter to you.

I guess at the end of the day, I'm just not very enthused about having a bunch of politicians have a lot of say over what oil I use.

After 46 years I would let it go. I appreciate every mpg I can get. That’s real money in my pocket and gasoline prices are not getting cheaper.

After 46 years I would let it go. I appreciate every mpg I can get. That’s real money in my pocket and gasoline prices are not getting cheaper.

Meh, it's an irrelevant amount of money in my pocket. Just doesn't rise to my level of interest.

Now, the inflationary patch we're currently in ..... that will do real damage to my wallet. Curiously caused by the same people that think I should use 0w-20. :unsure:

I’m told Subaru is the Japanese word for Pleiades, don’t know if that is true.
Subaru is the seventh star. The car is the seventh star.

And it is the Taurus galaxy. According to Greek mythology, Atlas' daughters turned into this group of stars. Subaru means "unite"

subaru-logos.jpg

No, actually car companies spec. different oils where emissions are calculated differently.
Edit: quick search:
Subaru WRX STI: ILSAC GF6 5W30 in US.
Subaru WRX STI: ACEA C3 or A3 in EU.
Their new engines could use it too.
Except the example you give is an EJ series engine.... literally the only one still used in any of their vehicles.

Not sure if that is true, they have an FA24 now for MY2021 ? and some variations of such. https://www.torquenews.com/1084/new-subaru-wrx-24l-engine-reliable-why-its-best-yet-tuners
2021 wrx sti is still EJ
and
the linked documents said "Excludes FA and FB series

The article you links states the wrx sti will get FA series engine in 2023.

WRX STI is not WRX.

And again my main point was subaru japan isnt recommending this at all.

This is oil that is produced by TOTAL for old ej series and is not applicable to FA or FB series engines..
which means the thread title is garbage.

Subaru Japan now only recommends two oil grades 0W30 and 10W50​

Last edited:
2021 wrx sti is still EJ
and
the linked documents said "Excludes FA and FB series

The article you links states the wrx sti will get FA series engine in 2023.

WRX STI is not WRX.

And again my main point was subaru japan isnt recommending this at all.

This is oil that is produced by TOTAL for old ej series and is not applicable to FA or FB series engines..
which means the thread title is garbage.

Considering fuel dilution in new engine, they might go 5W50 in EU.

Nonsense. 0w-20 offers equal protection and better fuel efficiency and is thus the logical choice for all car companies to spec globally, even where CAFE standards do not apply.

Go back and re-read that. I'm sure you'll find that it actually says 0w-20.
Only things I would put 0-20 past warranty is a 3rd/4th generation Prius or a Fit(or any Honda, really).

Last edited:
Back