Subaru head gasket failures

Status
Not open for further replies.
The head gaskets aren't issues anymore, now they blow ringlands
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
A 2008 or newer model EJ25 has an updated hg design and if the owner follows the maintenance schedule and flushes coolant every 30,000 miles, puts in the genuine Subaru coolant additive, and does proper oil changes they will likely not experience a hg failure with normal operation.

The FA and FB engines in the current Subarus can't have a head gasket failure in the same way as the old engines, because coolant no longer goes through the head gasket. It could leak between cylinders, but you can't get coolant in the oil and oil in the coolant any more.

And, yeah, the old issue was all down to them saving a couple of bucks by using a cheap head-gasket on the non-turbo engines. The turbos didn't have the same problem because they had a more sophisticated gasket.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
This hasn't been an issue for at least 10 years, if not longer. Let it die, quit perpetuating the myth. Buy a Subaru with confidence.

My 2008 Forester had the typical head gasket failure at 100k miles. In hindsight, if I could go back in time, I would have just left it and not had the work done. It would have hummed along happily for another 100k miles I'm sure
grin.gif

Subarus have their issues. So many people I know speak highly of them and when I prompt with "never had any issues?" then the truth slowly starts to escape as I probe. Solid AWD system, IMO. Everything else...eh. I'd buy another for my wife even though they're far from defect free.

Here is my understanding of the issue;

The models that have this failed gasket problem are non turbo:

Impreza (from 1999 to 2011)
Forester (from 1999 to 2010)
Legacy (from 2000 to 2009)
Outback (from 2000 to 2009)
Baja (from 2003 to 2006)

Subaru followed up with major oil consumptions issues from 2011-2014

The 2011-2014 Forester, 2013 Legacy and 2013 Outback and the 2.0-liter engines in the 2012-2013 Impreza and 2013 XV Crosstrek.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Hmm, Max... artbuc talks about a 2007. Last time I checked, we are in the waning months of 2018, so again more than 10 years. There's no fanboyism, or anyone asking to forget the issue. There was a problem, and a solution, and the remaining vehicles are still extremely viable today. It's not uncommon at all to pass 250k on one of the vehicles you're obviously bashing. We're talking ancient history for the HG issues in the automotive world; discussed with real facts on when it was fixed and even "non-fanboys" only able to provide data which lines up with the official story.

A much more recent scab to pick off is the one of your VW... especially considering there are acres of TDIs still parked in North America, former executives in prison for quite some time to come, and a corporate jerk move that has significantly impacted consumer diesels in a negative way enough to make snowflakes want to outlaw diesel altogether... who is the real fanboy?

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by supton
I recall that thread. Not sure it tips me over into being pro-Subaru but it makes me wonder if I should write them off as much as I have been. At some point I'm going to need yet another vehicle, and it's likely to be a cheap one. Ease of work is always a plus!
I feel the same way. They are cheap and have that mystique of costly repairs that make people prematurely dump them.
You should get your eyes checked, boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back