Strut mount, Moog vs KYB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear a popping sound when turning the steering and I'm pretty sure the strut mounts are shot.

Now, on RockAuto, there is a Moog K160313 for 47.32$ cad and a KYB SM5664 for 49.96$.

I do not care for the price difference, I just want what is the best for my car.

What do you guys think?

Originally Posted by jbutch
I hear a popping sound when turning the steering and I'm pretty sure the strut mounts are shot.

Now, on RockAuto, there is a Moog K160313 for 47.32$ cad and a KYB SM5664 for 49.96$.

I do not care for the price difference, I just want what is the best for my car.

What do you guys think?

Then forget RockAuto and get OEM units from the dealer.

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder

What do you guys think?

Agreed!
You mentioned wanting the best. Or did you mean, the best between those two brands(MOOG, KYB).

Originally Posted by Char Baby

What do you guys think?

Agreed!
You mentioned wanting the best. Or did you mean, the best between those two brands(MOOG, KYB).

I meant between the two, OEM is more than twice the price and they only lasted 100k kms.

Are you sure it is not the stabiliser bar links or rubber pads? I have had 2 vehicles in the last months have their pop/clunk sounds repaired because of these items.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
Are you sure it is not the stabiliser bar links or rubber pads? I have had 2 vehicles in the last months have their pop/clunk sounds repaired because of these items.

Could be, a mechanic will check it friday. But since the OEM mounts have a TSB, I'm betting they're the culprit.

What do you guys think?

Don't know what car you have, that would help, however Moog took a nose dive in quality several years ago so no contest with KYB

KYB will be releasing quick struts for your 2015 Forester. They should be available early next year
smile.gif

If you can't wait, consider Sachs mounts.

Normally, I would recommend KYB over Moog or most other brands (because of Japanese quality)….BUT....years back, I had new KYB struts installed in my 2002 Buick Century...the struts were fine but the strut bearings made noise. I replaced them with Monroe strut bearings and my problem was solved.
IIRC, the KYB's were made in Thailand...and the Monroe's were made in Taiwan...

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
KYB will be releasing quick struts for your 2015 Forester. They should be available early next year
smile.gif

There are sachs mounts as well! I didn't include it because I never heard of them, any good?

smile.gif

There are sachs mounts as well! I didn't include it because I never heard of them, any good?

Sachs makes good stuff. They are the OE for many stock Touring suspension parts in Mopar-land.

Better than Moog or KYB? IDK, but I'd have no problem going with them over those two, personally.

Originally Posted by spk2000
Both KYB and Moog are excellent aftermarket. Can't go wrong with either one.

This 👆.. splitting hairs between the two IMO...but I guess if I haaaad to choose, it'd be Moog.

Since KYB is OEM on a lot of cars, why TF would he do that and just pay dealer mark-up? Ignorant advice.

On a 2015 Subaru, IDK what is OE. Unless it is Moog's "Problem Solver" line, don't use it and get KYB.

Moog has two product lines "Problem Solver" is supposed to be OEM. Anything else is China-sourced "best effort." KYB has one product line, and it works.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Oro_O

Since KYB is OEM on a lot of cars, why TF would he do that and just pay dealer mark-up? Ignorant advice.

On a 2015 Subaru, IDK what is OE. Unless it is Moog's "Problem Solver" line, don't use it and get KYB.

Moog has two product lines "Problem Solver" is supposed to be OEM. Anything else is China-sourced "best effort." KYB has one product line, and it works.

31.gif

KYB aftermarket strut mounts, like all aftermarket strut mounts, are not as good as OEM. They are made cheaper and in third world countries. For example, the OEM mount might be made in the US or Japan, while the aftermarket will be from India or Thailand
cry.gif

The only reason to use aftermarket strut mounts is when they are part of a quick strut because the lifetime warranty covers all components of the quick strut, and quick struts are easier to install. Monroe's quick struts have a lifetime warranty for their quick strut, but no warranty for their mounts. KYB gives their quick struts a lifetime warranty, but only a year for mounts purchased separately. There are no quick struts available for the OP's Forester (KYB's won't be out until next year).

Otherwise, get OEM mounts and Bilstein shocks.

KYB aftermarket strut mounts, like all aftermarket strut mounts, are not as good as OEM. They are made cheaper and in third world countries.

That's just nonsense. Even OE installed units of KYB can be made offshore ("shore" being Japan). Look at the codes on the struts.

I haven't ever seen a KYB branded strut/assembly that was demonstrably different than one that came off OEM. There are Thai made, China made, US made KYB components that go onto vehicles OE. There are Japanese made ones that end up boxed and branded - the needs of the modern marketplace are not so simple or uni-channeled. A company that inflexible wouldn't (or won't) last long.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Oro_O

KYB aftermarket strut mounts, like all aftermarket strut mounts, are not as good as OEM. They are made cheaper and in third world countries.

That's just nonsense. Even OE installed units of KYB can be made offshore ("shore" being Japan). Look at the codes on the struts.

I haven't ever seen a KYB branded strut/assembly that was demonstrably different than one that came off OEM. There are Thai made, China made, US made KYB components that go onto vehicles OE. There are Japanese made ones that end up boxed and branded - the needs of the modern marketplace are not so simple or uni-channeled. A company that inflexible wouldn't (or won't) last long.

I've warrantied 1/2 of the KYB's that I installed in the last two years. All of them were seeping or leaking oil within 30K. The KYB strut mounts were made in india and the bearings sounded like dry sand from the box.

The ride quality is often different as well.

There are very few parts sold in the aftermarket that are 100% identical to the part being supplied to an OEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back