Streaming device recommendations

Android box - 50$

I installed a few apps years ago and can watch anything that is available for you on cable TV.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Thanks all. I ended up ordering another ROKU. The fast processing is what led me to this model. The only gripe I have with my current ROKU, besides its obsolescense is it is slow in the search mode. We will see how it works. Shows up tomorrow.

Given that your current Roku doesn't support Hulu anymore, it must be one of the really old models (2, LT, or original Stick). Processing power has been much improved on newer Roku players, so I think you'll be very happy with what you ordered.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by sloinker
Thanks all. I ended up ordering another ROKU. The fast processing is what led me to this model. The only gripe I have with my current ROKU, besides its obsolescense is it is slow in the search mode. We will see how it works. Shows up tomorrow.

Given that your current Roku doesn't support Hulu anymore, it must be one of the really old models (2, LT, or original Stick). Processing power has been much improved on newer Roku players, so I think you'll be very happy with what you ordered.

We have five players of various generations. It was one of the first generations as I recall some time ago, like a year ? I forgot. We were notified along with upgrade options.
With each new version, just like any computer, they got faster and faster, we loved the speed improvements of each new version.
With that said, just like a computer, if you have issues with your wifi or internet, a new computer or streaming device isnt going to fix that.

Since the OP is already a fan of the Roku I think he will be thrilled with the new.

Last edited:
Roku is still King. I still have a couple original little boxes from at least 15 years ago, somewhere in the basement.

It remains at the forefront of stream-services, where attachment-plug-in TV services are offered. Best part of Roku..... it's now offered inside that new TV set, more-so than any other brand on the market today. My Sony 60" has it built-in.

If the Japanese TV Builders prefer it, it has to be dependable / good / wanted by consumers.

I have a Firestick(low end) that's a couple of years old, but I'm about ready to ditch it. On one hand, at least Amazon keeps the OS reasonably current so that it works with with all the new streaming service(unlike my dad's Smart TV that won't work with the current version of any streaming apps beyond Netflix). On the other hand, though, I find navigation on it really slow, clunky, and sometimes frustrating.

The Firestick is really amazing non-intrusive. As it is now, I have mine dangling out of one of the HDMI ports on the back of my TV, and power it via a USB port also on the TV. It works with the HDMI control protocol(HDMI-CES?) so I can control it with the TV remote rather than the small and easy to lose dedicated remote. It's also small enough that I often toss it in my suitcase when traveling-if I want to stream in the evenings or whenever, it beats the heck out of a couple of people crowding around a laptop or iPad for that. I just toss it in the ziplock bag with my phone charger, computer charger, and raiser charger.

I've been halfway shopping, and an Apple TV would be my current choice given how much I'm integrated with everything else Apple. For one thing, though, it's really easy to talk yourself up from the ~$140 starting price to $170 and then $200, and at any of those prices I don't want one badly ENOUGH when I have something that's at least functional now.

You could get a Roku player that plugs into your HDMI if an HDMI player is your choice of a product, and it contains Apple TV.

Not related to a TV but I am LOVING my move to the Apple world with the Mac mini and iPhone XR. Love the flawless integration of everything. Im really not a "brand" septic person but for me, I cant put into words how happy I am that I made the move. The reason I do have Apple TV right now is simply came free with either my iPhone or Mac desktop, forgot which one.

25 Years of Windows and Android phones since its start, Im done with them. Apple is like a clean sheet of paper to me.

Last edited:
My Samsung smart TV gets all the streaming services.
When I press home on the remote the bottom of the screen has a bunch of services.
I have active Netflix,Prime,Hulu and Disney.
I thought newer set all can do this.
So why the need for firestick and Roku?
I dont understand.

I forgot to mention yesterday that our Sony 4K has a multitude of streaming places built in too.

But I want my regular Network TV Shows back .... NOW. I want new Movies at area Big Screen Shows also. I want professional live sports back.... MLB, NFL especially. Not a fan of today's NBA and NHL.
Most of all.....Sick & tired of thumbnail TV programming. Take all those Squares and shove them-all away, forever.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by marine65
When I press home on the remote the bottom of the screen has a bunch of services.
I dont understand.

Historically, the smart TVs had underpowered hardware, making the whole UI/experience laggy and clunky. On top of that, system updates were rare to none, so after a year or two, you were behind on latest functionality or some streaming apps would stop functioning altogether. I don't know if that is still the case with the latest TV models produced now.

With Roku, you get fast hardware, nice and responsive UI, plus frequent updates when needed. Plus access to a lot more streaming services than you do via your smart TV.

https://mashable.com/article/smart-tv-vs-fire-stick-roku-apple-tv/

I dont understand.

Because not all TVs are created equal, and Roku and Firesticks seem to be ones that push updates to keep them working, whereas on a smart TV with built in streaming capability that won't stream everything, or stops streaming down the line due to the need for a software update, you're most likely never going to see that needed update.

I dont understand.

I personally prefer choosing my own streaming device and having the same streaming standard across all 5 TVs in the home. They cost as little as $30 to as much as $100, which is pennies to me.

I purchase the TV for its quality with no regard to the built in streaming services, lets face it, it would be silly to choose a TV on that basis as the devices are less then $100 to stream.
I also get all 4 major network local channels plus 21 more though an antenna. Not only that but I get a TV schedule and recording options EXACTLY the same as a pay TV system works for the other the air free stations..

I use the TV as a display and plug the devices into the TV which includes Blu-ray, over the air antenna, channel master DVR, Roku and sound system.
I never used the built in Android streaming system even on our $1600. Sony I just plugged in a new 4K Roku, its a fantastic device and as technology improves, I can upgrade it.

Its early, trying to explain ... *LOL* more or less at less then $100 I can have the latest streaming solution hardware and upgrade at anytime. I dont choose a TV for a device that cost as little as $30.
Also this way I can have every. TV in the house work exactly the same way and not be held back by the TV makers plus you can stay current on the streaming hardware as others have posted above.
This is what works for me, Im sure many people are happy with the built in stuff, Im just answering your question. :eek:)

Last edited:
Having now spent a day with Amazon Firestick 4K, I'd say Roku's UI is superior, but it may just be a matter of what I am used to, having been a Roku user for 5+ years. My initial impression is that Firestick's UI is just very "Amazonized" and more cluttered as opposed to a more clean Roku UI. The main focus of Firestick seems to be Prime Video, so if you're not a Prime member, I think your entire Firestick experience will be seriously crippled.

One other benefit that Firestick has over Roku is bluetooth connectivity, so if you have BT headphones or keyboard, you can easily use them with your Firestick. Using headphones with Roku is a bit more cumbersome - you either have to use an app on your phone/tablet and plug the headphones into it, or plug your headphones into the Roku remote, but sound quality through the remote isn't that great, IME.

So, the main appeal of Firestick seems to be the ability to side load apps, and there are plenty out there given that it's basically running Android OS. If you don't need that, I'd say go with Roku instead.

Thanks for your posts on the Firestick. ^^^
Yeah, its another problem I have with other devices, Roku is independent from the companies themselves, even if those companies pay a premium for "placement to Roku I always tend to stay away from any of those devices from companies that provide major programming . Plus I hate Google and Amazon ... so I am defiantly biased to remain free of any of their devices, even though I will watch Amazon programming (that I dont pay for) on my independent Roku. :eek:)

Last edited:
FYI, last night I was able to install Android TV Launcher on my Firestick, which cleaned up the interface right up and got rid of Amazon bloated menus and ads. Much better.

Back