Strategies for saving my W7 partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In April I bought a used LT from a reseller which came with W7 Home and a valid key (stuck on the LT); I have no use for Windows, but don't want to lose it completely (like i might want to reinstall someday); I installed Ubuntu in a partition also on the LT and now I've decided I want the whole computer to be Ubuntu (why you ask?)

I'm going to start using the LT as my primary machine and 'side by side' installs of W7 and ubuntu do not support encrypted LVM, which is necessary for me; I need to exorcise windows from my machine.

What is the best strategy for capturing the install should I want to restore it later on? Does the 'make a recovery
DVD' allow for a clean install? It appears the DVD drive is broken. I don't really trust DVD's for long term storage so if there is a more betterer way I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Using Windows, perhaps you could use the function to create a backup or restore DVD to create a DVD *image* (a .iso file, for example). That image could be burned to a disc repeatedly when needed to install; and the .iso could be kept on a HDD or the cloud somewhere.

Using Ubuntu, you could image the drive (Ubuntu, for example, has Gnome's "Disks" application that could create a disk image easily enough) and store that image somewhere. If you needed to restore the image, Disks does that as easily as creating it in the first place.

Using the command line in Linux, the dd command is extremely powerful and can make a bit-for-bit replication of your partition. Not for the faint of heart, though.

Personally I would use Disks in Ubuntu and just image your partition somewhere.

Caveat: Making an image (And possibly a restore image from within Windows as well? I don't know...) and then restoring it into a system different from the one the restore image was created from might leave you with some headaches upon first boot of the restored image; due to Windows suspecting the install is not legit. Might.

How about just replacing the drive? Leave it as it is and then install a new one, possibly bigger and faster, and then install Ubuntu on it. Save the old one in case you ever need it.

On my Lenovo, I had the option of creating restore disks. It brings the computer back to what it looked like on day 1.

Is that an option for you?

Quote:

How about just replacing the drive?

LOL; i didn't even think of that.

Thanks to all that responded; i think i have enough options to proceed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back