Strange lighting issue in house...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basement laundry room recessed can lighting. 6 total cans all on 1 switch. I recently noticed that only 1 can light works out of the 6. All cans show power when using a tester stick. I can't get any of them to work except the 1 light?

What gives?!?!?!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by double vanos
They all show power? Is it 110 volts? If so the lights should work. We have electricians here so maybe they'll chime in with an answer.

They ALL show power as in the hot leg makes the tester stick beep. I checked the swith and it's a single pole, working as it should.

Originally Posted by edwardh1
what size bulbs - maybe an overheat switch tripped and did not reset?

The cans all have LED lights that plug into the bulb socket. I tried the working LED light in other cans as well as a working light blub. No luck.

I have had this issue with LED's. The large base won't let them contact the center button. They won't go in deep enough.

Originally Posted by vwmaniaman
I have had this issue with LED's. The large base won't let them contact the center button. They won't go in deep enough.

I was going to say this too.

All cans show 124 volt. The can base closest to the working light has the middle contact pushed in, which maybe not allowing it to contact the LED screw in. I'm going to investigate further, I gotta lay my daughter down to nap. I still feel like the other lights should work though?

Last edited:
Assuming you're using your multimeter correctly, if the contacts inside the socket have power, then the issue is with the bulbs. Try a standard bulb and see what happens.

Originally Posted by billt460
LED's.... They save so much energy, they don't work.

Been using them throughout the entire house (inside and outside) and garage for a few years now (116 bulbs total) without a single issue. They work for most of us just fine.

I have seen a lot of cans where the center contact gets pushed to far in.
With the power off, you can find something to hook it with and pull it down.

This is assuming you are checking power from the center contact to the shell.
If not, try checking it that way.

Could be the common is not there.
Loose wire at the fixture that works or the first non working fixture could be the issue.

Wierd electrical stuff usually means a partial or loose connection, so perhaps redo the connection starting with the light that works. Had one that worked enough to show a solid ground on a multimeter but still not light up.

If you're using the typical "Not for Totally Enclosed Fixtures" type of LED bulbs in your totally enclosed fixtures, you're going to have a bad time.

Sounds like a "Partial Connection" or weak connection.

Voltage means nothing except potential existing.... you still need amps for work.

Investigate the wiring between the first and second can for a poorly twisted wire nut connection.

Originally Posted by dja4260
Originally Posted by edwardh1
what size bulbs - maybe an overheat switch tripped and did not reset?

The cans all have LED lights that plug into the bulb socket. I tried the working LED light in other cans as well as a working light blub. No luck.

The easiest test is to screw in an incandescent bulb into each no-working socket to see if it is an LED bulb configuration issue. As others have stated, the stubby shoulder of many LED bulbs will not allow the bulb to seat deep enough to contact the center (hot) terminal in the socket. On certain bulb socket designs, you may be able to de-energize the circuit and use a non-conducting screwdriver to pry the center terminal higher. Do not attempt to do so with the circuit energized!

I took the can that I felt was the next in line to the working can light. I bent the tab out but pulled on the wiring to see how much slack I had to work with.

Everything started working! So I know that I have a lose wire in that can....

Originally Posted by dja4260
I took the can that I felt was the next in line to the working can light. I bent the tab out but pulled on the wiring to see how much slack I had to work with.

Everything started working! So I know that I have a lose wire in that can....

Wooo Hoooo!!!!!!

I am the winner.... do you need my address to send the check to?

Very common problem. Turn power offf and check circuit dead. Sorry to say but the best tool is your index finger finger nail. Just reach into the center of the socket and lift the brass tab up a little. Very common problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back