Stp S2 oil filter come with silicone ADBV for $4.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at Autozone looking for some interior cleaner . Pass by oil filter section . Stp blue S2 come with silicone ADBV. Cause the ADBv was orange color . While other blue stp still have that black rubber type . Pretty good for $5 . S2 is common filter too same as fl820s

Nice of them to do since Ford likes the modular engines to have a silicone valve.

I happened to notice the STP S7317's are now the EXACT same filter as the S6607's. Kind of shady, why wouldn't they just update the catalog for Honda/Nissan applications to use 6607 instead of slapping 7317 stickers on the 6607's? Won't be buying any fake 7317's for Honda oil changes for sure. I service a couple Honda's regularly, I suppose I'll just use orange 7317's.

I don't have any problem with fram any more . But I do like metal encap over cardboard endcap . I recently change bunch of my family vechiles while I'm visit them over the thanksgiving . They all have orange can . I have 2 mustang that family own running fl820s . I will replace the orange can with the stp s2 since it have silicone .

I was in AZ a few days ago dumping/recycling used oil and thought of this thread but had to think about which application number it was. Went to the ST2 and sure enough, orange-ish silicone adbv. Thought I'd check out some other STP blue applications, those still nitrile.

I tried to think why topic application with silicone and then thought bet primary use is Ford applications. As I skimmed post didn't see xref to 820S. Anyway, that is true. Mid to late 2000s I remember when family member owned 4.6L Explorer, early on in ownership quick lube used jobber filter with nitrile adbv, had a start up rattle. Switched back to 820S with silicone, rattle gone. That was well before the 820S anecdotes with issues posted, and the ones I cut open were ok. OLM light on that vehicle set to go off at 5k miles, so never went much beyond that. Based on that experience, my "speculation" at least 'some' Ford applications sensitive to drain back and thus the use of silicone adbv in ST2. In 4.6L, filter orientation, dome end ~45° down from horizontal.

The topic filter is the new AZ STP blue with China coo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back