STP oil treatment

Just another oil additive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STP_(motor_oil_company)
In 1976, STP faced a consumer protection order that required it to have scientific backing for certain statements and prohibited making false claims. In 1978, it paid a $500,000 civil penalty over claims. In 1995, STP paid $888,000 to settle Federal Trade Commission charges of false advertising.[6][7]

[censored] yeah! I remember those pull top cans. Looks like it's nearly worthless.

Sorry, but yes, it is worthless crap. At least they could have bumped up the zinc and phosphorus and sold it as something that could replenish viscosity half way through a change. What are their marketers smoking? Thanks Project Farm and the OP.

Last edited:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by madeej11
I still like the badge and"the racers edge" motto though.

Dropping the plural possessive apostrophe in racers was enough for me to eschew STP. And don't get me started on Tim Hortons.

Hurrumph.

Originally Posted by Uphill_Both_Ways
Originally Posted by madeej11
I still like the badge and"the racers edge" motto though.

Dropping the plural possessive apostrophe in racers was enough for me to eschew STP. And don't get me started on Tim Hortons.

Hurrumph.

You are assuming too much of the target demographic and their punctuation skill.....'s?

Originally Posted by Chris142
It is a good assembly lube and good in a new oil pump. Makes it suck up oil quickly.

Yeah, but is it a better assembly lube than Lucas?
grin2.gif

I remember using STP when I first started driving , really didn't know if it did any good or not but was told I should use it...so I did...I haven't really noticed and STP in the stores or auto parts places but then again I wasn't looking for it...I do remember having a lot of the STP stickers though ...lol

Last edited:
In the mid- to late '70s, STP marketed an oil they claimed could go 50,000 miles between changes. Really. It was 10W-50, though I'm not sure about that. I used to see it at K-Mart, but never tried it -- even as a new driver, I didn't think any oil could go even 10k miles, let alone 50K.

In the mid- to late '70s, STP marketed an oil they claimed could go 50,000 miles between changes. Really. It was 10W-50, though I'm not sure about that. I used to see it at K-Mart, but never tried it -- even as a new driver, I didn't think any oil could go even 10k miles, let alone 50K.
I don’t remember this but somewhere around that time they had a 15,000 mile oil that l remember.

Back