Stop The Shooting..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
I'm tired of reading the statistics. The city of Chicago paid $500 million the past 10 years in Chicago police law suits. Can't they use tasers or maze?? I know the "bobbies" in London don't even carry firearms. Maybe the U.S. big city police need to be retrained? England has about 5 police shootings a year compared to 1,000 in the U.S. What's the answer?

Been 10 years since I've been to London, but when I was there I saw a number of officers carrying... submachine guns. At least at the airport. That was actually kinda disturbing.

I thought the population difference was 10x, but someone here said 5x. So, it seems reasonable to assume, all things the same (and they are not), that the US would have... 5x more police shootings. Bigger population, thus more police shootings. Simple statistics on that one. That won't explain the full difference but I think you have to compare percentages (relative to population) rather than counts.

How did this thread derail from "cops shooting people" to "guns are evil"?

I'm tired of reading the statistics. The city of Chicago paid $500 million the past 10 years in Chicago police law suits. Can't they use tasers or maze??

It's spelled "maize" but I'm not sure what value corn will have in this.
wink.gif

Seriously, mace and OC spray and tasers are not replacements for firearms. As for firearms deaths by police, the US isn't the UK. I'm a gun lover, and am pretty jealous of US gun rights. But, everything in life has consequences. Regardless of the rules or lack of rules, there are a lot of guns in the States. That will lead to a higher probability of gun related violence, end of story. Take a look at some of South Africa's historical gun crimes, even as stronger and stronger measures were implemented.

Additionally, the bobbies aren't unarmed. Also, take a look at stats in the UK in the time of the Troubles. There were an awful lot of bombings, which were absolutely unheard of in the US.

I always say, if you don't want to be shot by the police, don't wave a weapon of any sort at them or anyone else. And I won't be baited into a political argument, but remember that the world outside of the US isn't a homogeneous place. I suspect that in North Korea, there are few shootouts with the police, yet stop and frisk wouldn't cause anyone to bat an eye there.

We in North America continually forget how good we have things.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
I will say that....drugs in your major cities are the main problem...

Exactly. And it's more than just the black market aspect, that Olas indicated. You could legalize everything out there, but you don't want a person who is high, or desperate for another fix that he can't afford (happens to alcoholics, after all) wielding a firearm.

Olas, my English friend! Why can't the community help raise inner city youths?? I place most of the blame on inner city police mentality. The U.S. Department Of Justice is investigating Chicago. That includes the politics and the police department.

I am responsible to raise my children and not the 'community's children'.
Am I responsible to raise the children of illegals?
Am I responsible to raise the children of refugees?

Where does this NONENSE stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back