Stihl vs. Husqvarna

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the tale of my Stihl FS-56 Trimmer vs. Husqvarna 125B blower. I bought the blower new, 10 years ago. The trimmer I acquired from my father. It is at least 30 years old. They both have always used the same fuel -- which up until this year has been e10 89 octane mixed. The only thing done to the Stihl, has been new plugs every now and then. It's still on original fuel filter, line, carb has never been touched, etc. The Husqvarna has eaten through it's fuel line twice -- currently on it's 3rd. It's not a real fun job to replace. What gives? If I bought fuel line from Stihl, would it last? Or, is this simply a case of "they don't make things like the used to"? This year I switched to pre-mixed fuel -- since both only go through about 1 tank/season.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why your blower has eaten through multiple fuel lines. I've had the exact same blower for the past 5 years and after I tuned the carb it hasn't had any issues. I've run pre-mixed TruFuel 50:1 since day 1. I've also had similar good luck with my Husqvarna 128CD trimmer.

Makes no sense at all. If anything, the 30 year old Stihl would likely seem more vulnerable to the ethanol. Is there any chance that the replacement hose you are using is not genuine Husky, but is some cheap Chinese stuff?? Dealers often stock items like this in bulk aftermarket rolls.

FYI, I have not had any issues with e10 fuel/Stihl 2 stroke oil in my workplace Stihl equipment that is 5 to 20 years old.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Makes no sense at all. If anything, the 30 year old Stihl would likely seem more vulnerable to the ethanol..

I can't explain it either, but my Stihl 028Super AV (1980's?) kept its original fuel line up until 3 years ago.

I used to always run AvGas in it... started E10 about 5 years ago.

WHAT REALLY MAKES me mad, is I bought some new Tygon fuel line for my trimmers and blowers,
and the (Chinese) stuff I bought 5 years ago (still on the roll!) is now hard & brittle?!?!?!!?

I used to run a Rancher saw; light, turbo fast and powerful. Loved it.
Stilh saws were just as good; their equals.

I got a Husky blower years ago; it was supposed to be a quality tool.
Never ran right. Ate the fuel line. After replacing the line, used the store bought fuel, which is better than CA wannbe gas.

Only Stihl for me going forward.

Slight nod to the Stihl, though the Husquvarna was a fine unit. Tree choppin with the chain saws was easier with the larger Stihl, branches and such with the Husquvarna. You're talking about blowers so transfer testimonials of quality as you will.

On Late Model little 2-stroke Motors on the engine sticker is a EPA compliance hour rating. That's my barometer for Quality cheap box store stuff may only be 50 or a hundred hours compliance and the good stuff will have at least 300 hours of compliance. The Husky Rancher saw I bought a couple years ago has a 300 hour rating. But yes I had to replace the in tank fuel line. And it only has been run on synthetic oil and non ethanol pump gas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by repairman54
On Late Model little 2-stroke Motors on the engine sticker is a EPA compliance hour rating. That's my barometer for Quality cheap box store stuff may only be 50 or a hundred hours compliance and the good stuff will have at least 300 hours of compliance..

YET - - - amazingly, I have been abusing my poor 38cc 14 or 16 inch bar Ryobi saws for over 200 hrs each now and no signs of slowing down.

I give the little Bight Green plastic Chinese wonder an A+ in my book - - and I am quite picky.

I keep hearing from my pals and reading online about these types of problems, but have yet to experience them. I have two Echo chainsaws, a Husqvarna weedeater, a Mantis also another 2 cycle small tiller and an Echo blower. I do use a lot of TruFuel, but have also used a lot of mix gas, usually with Echo Power Blend oil, and never a hitch. I just got rid of the third Echo saw, a Stilh 024 I built into a supersaw, and none of them had issues. I use pump gas, a lot of 87-89 octane, but will occasionally use 93 octane. I dunno, I buy gas almost anywhere, never thinking one is any better than the other. :Yet, my best buddy complains constantly about problems. I've never looked over his equipment, but I know how anal he is about care of equipment, so I can't imagine that to be an issue.
The only thing that makes sense is that in WV we have decent gas, but even that doesn't explain others here having problems. My Husqvarna weedeater is the oldest, and I had two Husy saws when I got it, and I know for a fact all are still running on the same parts and line, as I my neighbor has them. My weedeater is on the original fuel line that is probably over 15 years old at least.

The first replacement line was a complete kit -- because the primer was shot as well. I may have purchased a generic kit from ebay (my bad). This year, only the line in the tank was bad. I bought a genuine Husqvarnva kit from Lowes (was for a trimmer, but the line fit). I also bought the 95 oct pre-mix Husqvarna fuel this year. I'll probably use TruFuel once it's gone.

Both units are a little temperamental. The Stihl does not like to start/run when temp is over 85. Both are stored in an outdoor shed -- which gets very hot during the summer.

Brand alone means almost nothing. Each brand has their consumer and more commercial grade products. Like stated above, many dealers often sell Chinese fuel line. How the machine is used/stored can also play a part in how long the fuel lines last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back