Stihl 2-cycle Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having no experience with either snow throwers or 2-cycle engines, last month I purchased a Toro 726 with the 7 hp R-Tek engine. When I asked what 2-cycle oil I should use (50:1 mix), the salesman gave me a bottle of Stihl Hi-Performance (the orange bottle, pre-mix size), one for 2.5 U.S. gallons, 2 bottles for 5 gallons. I didn't pay enough attention to see if this was the only oil he sold, or the only one he had in stock. I don't want to start yet another debate about synthetics
versus dino oil, and for the amount of use this machine will see, the price doesn't concern me (in case you care it was 2 for $5, or 6 for $10).
All I really want to know is that the quality of this product is sufficiently good that it will do no harm to the machine, but if there is something significantly better that I should use instead of this Stihl, I want to know what it is and what are the benefits of using it. I'm not worried about a little smoke or the smell, only that the enigine does it's job and gets proper lubrication. Also, the bottle says it already has a fuel stabilizer in it. Can I rely on that to keep this mix for 6-12 months, or should I add Sta-Bil anyway? Thanks for any input.
GrtArtiste

The Stihl oil should be fine.

Personally I like Torco gp-7 2 stroke oil. I have ran it for many years in dirt bikes, chainsaws etc.

I like it because once the engine is warmed up there is no smoke. No smoke = no carbon to plug up the spark arrester or ports.

I purchased a Stihl 021 chainsaw in March 2001 right after we had a doozie of an ice storm here in the Midwest. I also picked up a six-pack of the 50:1 Stihl oil. As I never use the saw (well, not as much as I would like to, I enjoy it) just a week ago I decided to dump out the remaining gas/oil mix that I didn't use up since 2001. It was still good enough to start up easily and cut limbs up a month ago that I trimmed off some trees. So I would say based on my experience that the stabalizing quality of the oil is quite good.

Tim

There are products available that cost less than the Stihl oil yet are much better in quality. I run mobil MX2T in the same blower with great results. I having been doing this for sever al years. I havent so much as replaced a plug in this time and I am in big snow country where it gets plenty of use.

I have to mention that with the exception of Redline racing oil, I have never found an oil that will result in shorter engine life. In my SeaDoo racing days, we went through engines with regularity. Using oils such as Golden Specto resulted in long engine life, as did SeaDoo oils and the various others that we tried. I remain convinced that 2 stroke engines are not difficult to lubricate and each engine has a specific lifespan. However I am currently using Mobil 1 MX2t in every 2 stroke I own with stellar results. MX2t seems to be the ideal oil for my uses, as it does not carbon up the powervalves in my bike, my sparkplugs last forever and the engines maintain compression very well over time. Which is everything I am looking for.

So with that in mind, your choice of oil should be just fine.

Chris

I run the Amsoil 100:1, premix oil in my Stihl FS-72 trimmer and Farmboss chain saw, mixed @ 100:1. Both engines run perfectly and there is no smoke or plug fouling.

The service manager (Darryl Browne), where I bought both these Stihls (Hill Lawnmower in Huntsville, Al), recommends using Amsoil in them after break in with the Stihl oil for 5-10 tanks.

Tooslick

I checked the Mobil 1 web site and couldn't find any place within 50 miles of my location that sold MX2T. Personal preference..would much rather walk into a store and buy it than order it by mail. Guess I will content myself with the Stihl for now, unless someone wants to suggest an alternative that is likely to be sold by a major retailer (Home Depot-Lowes-WAL MART). Thanks

GrtArtiste

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back