Stepping it up a grade for high mileage

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by wdn
Originally Posted by Silk
The fact that it is in Imperial measures with litres in brackets would suggest this chart is intended for the US market, not the rest of the word which wouldn't have Imperial as an alternative.

I gave the link to the Subaru Canada website where you too can download that same manual yourself. It is the Canadian owners manual. Imperial quarts are used in Canada. Maybe not in New Zealand, but they are in Canada. Likewise, gasoline is sold in imperial gallons in Canada.

Canada has used Metric since the 1980's. Our gas is sold in litres, oil is sold in litres, nobody uses gallons or quarts. Back before the metrification of things, we did, but that was a long, LONG time ago now.

Fascinating. I accept what you say, and stand corrected on Canadian politics thanks. US however never at any time used Imperial gallons. When you based in Canada download same page of the Subaru Canada 2020 Impreza owners manual from Subaru Canada site, that I pasted here, what does it say about oil requirement for the Canadian car? It says 0W-20 right?

However that does not explain why Subaru Australia also requires 0W20.

Originally Posted by wdn
Originally Posted by wdn
Originally Posted by Silk
The fact that it is in Imperial measures with litres in brackets would suggest this chart is intended for the US market, not the rest of the word which wouldn't have Imperial as an alternative.

I gave the link to the Subaru Canada website where you too can download that same manual yourself. It is the Canadian owners manual. Imperial quarts are used in Canada. Maybe not in New Zealand, but they are in Canada. Likewise, gasoline is sold in imperial gallons in Canada.

Canada has used Metric since the 1980's. Our gas is sold in litres, oil is sold in litres, nobody uses gallons or quarts. Back before the metrification of things, we did, but that was a long, LONG time ago now.

Fascinating. I accept what you say, and stand corrected on Canadian politics thanks. US however never at any time used Imperial gallons. When you based in Canada download same page of the Subaru Canada 2020 Impreza owners manual from Subaru Canada site, that I pasted here, what does it say about oil requirement for the Canadian car? It says 0W-20 right?

There are other markets that were settled by the British Empire that continue to use Imperial as their form of measure, Canada simply isn't one of them. I'm not super up on my world history, but South Africa, Australia...etc all for a significant period used Imperial, but I believe most of us eventually shifted to metric. For the sake of simplicity, my takeaway is that Subaru has simply used the same manual for all English-speaking markets and thus have decided to use all three major forms of measure.

On the oil spec, it is exceedingly rare that Canada differs from the US. Almost universally, whatever is spec'd for the USA is carried over for Canada. About the only exception I can think of is that when the E39 M5 post 03/00 was spec'd for LL-01 in Europe, that change was also made in the Canadian market, whilst the US market continued to spec 10w-60. Canadian manuals got an extra page stuck in them with the updated information on it.

We tried that in the 60's when I was in 6th grade. Our teacher said by the time we graduated high school, the world would be metric. It didn't take hold here. I liked the metric system. Base 10 and easy on the math!

Originally Posted by ka9mnx

We tried that in the 60's when I was in 6th grade. Our teacher said by the time we graduated high school, the world would be metric. It didn't take hold here. I liked the metric system. Base 10 and easy on the math!

Off the top of my head I'm not exactly sure when the transition started here, though I'm sure I could easily look it up. My grandmother's 1972 Caddy had gauges in miles, as did my 1974 Cutlass Supreme. By the time we got our 1986 Olds Wagon, it was in metric. I don't recall the Imperial road speed signs, so they had all been changed by the early 1980's AFAIK. By the time I started school we were using metric for everything. I think the only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head is that a lot of us still like to measure weight in lbs, prefer to use MPG for fuel economy and PSI for pressure. I'm lucky that my SRT lets me mix units in that respect.

Originally Posted by wdn
You do realize that most of these engines requiring 0W-20 grade engine oil are "world spec" engine oils not "CAFE oils", right? The California state legislature has nothing to do with it.

CAFE is a federal EPA standard, not a California standard.

Originally Posted by wdn

NO

Mazda Canada also specifies 0W-20. Canada is not "US only". Here is the page from the Mazda Canada, 2019 Mazda3 owners manual (February 2020 printing) from here:
https://www.mazda.ca/en/owners/manuals/

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

I think this is what the kids today call a "self-own"... you just posted the Mazda manual that shows that everywhere but US and Canada, the engine is supposed to have 5w30. So much for "same 0W-20 for all of them"...!

Originally Posted by wdn

This has been shown again and again repeatedly, by someone actually looking at the owners manual for Japan, Europe, Asia, Oz etc. for the same make/model of car and posting it. Same 0W-20 for all of them.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by harry j
I use a 0W-30 oil in my civic, now with 572,000 miles / 920,544 km

^^^^^^^↑^^^^^^^^^^^^

And his car looks is in very good shape too. And the engine compartment is in great condition too...

Thank you bbhero, I have been using Amsoil 0W-30 since 118,000 miles. The Civic engine calls for a 5W-30 oil. 0W-30 was not available at the time of manufacture (1993)
0W-30 is far superior to the 5W-30 oil mentioned in the owners manual. I totally recommend it for anyone who uses a x-30 oil, even for 0W-20 oil users.

Originally Posted by harry j
I use a 0W-30 oil in my civic, now with 572,000 miles / 920,544 km

WOW that is some serious mileage!!!

Back