State Landfill Oil Filter Ban To Start Soon (WI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Spazdog
The filters have not been an issue. I can dispose of those properly in several places.
But the paper towels? Are they going to go through your trash and find a Shop-Towel on a Roll with a smidge of motor oil on it and fine you? Better keep track of that paper towel when you check your oil!

fight_club-0-500x281.jpg

Is that sign for real?

It's from Project Mayhem....

....and I'm not supposed to talk about it.

sign respectfully stolen from Fight Club

Some of the nicest grass I've seen is where Grandad killed blackberries with old sump oil and fire.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
It's from Project Mayhem....

....and I'm not supposed to talk about it.

sign respectfully stolen from Fight Club
LOL!

Originally Posted By: e40
A new state law banning car engine oil filters or any other oil absorbent materials in landfills will go into effect on January. That includes granular absorbents, rags and paper towels. Violators will face fines ranging from $50 to $2,000.

The state Department of Natural Resources said Wisconsin residents throw away an estimated 187,000 gallons of oil in used filters and 1.6 million gallons of oil in absorbents.

I don't see any way that this can be enforced. Will the State of Wisconsin hire people to go through trash bags looking for rags, towels, and oil dry/kitty litter, then try to identify who discarded the bags?

BTW, motor oil is mostly biodegradable. It takes a while, several years perhaps, but much quicker than most plastics.

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
Originally Posted By: e40
A new state law banning car engine oil filters or any other oil absorbent materials in landfills will go into effect on January. That includes granular absorbents, rags and paper towels. Violators will face fines ranging from $50 to $2,000.

The state Department of Natural Resources said Wisconsin residents throw away an estimated 187,000 gallons of oil in used filters and 1.6 million gallons of oil in absorbents.

I don't see any way that this can be enforced. Will the State of Wisconsin hire people to go through trash bags looking for rags, towels, and oil dry/kitty litter, then try to identify who discarded the bags?

BTW, motor oil is mostly biodegradable. It takes a while, several years perhaps, but much quicker than most plastics.

Much more oil is absorbants? Can someone please explain. This seems all wrong. Misquote?

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Incinerate -- problem solved!

fyi.......

Quote:
The EPA has a proposal to list all off-spec used oil as a hazardous waste, which could make burning it for heat/energy or recycling it a much more expensive proposition for lube shops. You can see a copy of the proposal here, but it sounds like something lube operators might want to call their congressmen about.

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
Originally Posted By: Kestas
Incinerate -- problem solved!

fyi.......

Quote:
The EPA has a proposal to list all off-spec used oil as a hazardous waste, which could make burning it for heat/energy or recycling it a much more expensive proposition for lube shops. You can see a copy of the proposal here, but it sounds like something lube operators might want to call their congressmen about.

Interesting.

There's a lube/carwash place in my area that boasts about using waste oil to heat the building and water used in the car wash. If something like this hits Illinois, that could cause "issues".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back