Starter Tool set - hand tools for professional work?

Originally Posted by btanchors
My son (26) has a new part-time opportunity to perform small-engine repair for a professional shop, but he must furnish his own tools. He currently does not own any tools, so he is starting from the ground up. He also may be doing light repair work/maintenance on pickup trucks as well, with the same tools.

You mean he hasn't worked on or repaired engines before? Don't you need to go a technical school and get trained beforehand?

Originally Posted by atikovi
My son (26) has a new part-time opportunity to perform small-engine repair for a professional shop, but he must furnish his own tools. He currently does not own any tools, so he is starting from the ground up. He also may be doing light repair work/maintenance on pickup trucks as well, with the same tools.

You mean he hasn't worked on or repaired engines before? Don't you need to go a technical school and get trained beforehand?

On small engines?

You don't "need" a technical school to be a mechanic on anything.

What's the size of the engine have to do with it? Don't think you would last long at a VW dealer without any previous training, unless maybe you just do oil changes.

When you are starting out and need a lot of tools fast, cheap tools will get the job done. As he gets a feel for what he is using all of the time or if he has tools that he is constantly breaking he can replace them with better tools. Thats what I did when I started out. For a mid range option I would look at Gearwrench. Occasionally I wear out one of their tools but no major issues

Unfortunately, he only has $500 - $600 max to spend on acquiring basic hand tools. So, high-end professional hand tools like Snap-On are way beyond his budget.
I would buy a high quality 3/8 ratchet set and fill the rest in with whatever box store tools you like best. I bought a SK 3/8 set shortly after I got a car to fix and then a job so I could buy tools. I've bought a lot of tools since then but I still get excited when I use it, top 10 favorite purchases easily.

SK 3/8 set, Williams hard handle screwdriver set and a 10" Knipex Cobra is how I would spend that. He could probably get cheap screwdrivers, but a good 3/8 set is something he will use for his entire life, and Knipex Cobras are mandatory once they save your [censored] a few times.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

On small engines?

You don't "need" a technical school to be a mechanic on anything.

No, just common sense and a desire to learn.

Where I work we give new employees a tool allowance so they can buy around $200 worth of basic tools.

bdcardinal,
I didn't know SnapOn would repo tools. I thought only a bad credit report and a guy named Sal asking about back due payments.

btanchors,
What ever tools you don't need, maybe you can give to him. I have my dad's Crasftsman tools from the 1960's and they are very high quality when he stared with PanAm.

Icon at Harbor Freight look really nice. Help him get the tools he needs and hopefully he will use them till they are just plain wore out. It's really hard to know if he will stick with it and make a real career out of wrenching. I'm 56 and still trying to figure out what to do when I grow up. Tools are a great investment. I bought my sons their first Craftsman set for Christmas years ago. It really makes me feel good when we work on a project together and I see them, probably 15 years later, still break out the set I bought them + all of their additions. One of my best investments, talking both tools and Kids.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
With a budget of $5-600, I'd look on Craigslist and pawn shops for craftsman US-made stuff. Yes you can get a ton of HF stuff for dirt cheap, and some is OK, but I'll bet you can do better buying used. !

This👆.. both CL & pawnshops ALWAYS have quality tools that people sell when they're in financial bind.

OP...
If you trust your son, loan him your tools. Have him ask his employer what are the "must have tools" for day 1. Everything else he can acquire as he goes along. There's no need to show up on day 1 rocking a fully stocked roll away. And fwiw OP...I have tools that are probably older than some of the people on this board. They don't expire... they just keep working so long as I don't neglect/abuse them....

Last edited:
What's the size of the engine have to do with it? Don't think you would last long at a VW dealer without any previous training, unless maybe you just do oil changes.

Plenty of professional technicians start on the lube rack and work their way up. No formal training required. OJT is better than anything you'll get in the classroom. My dealer even has a set of tools for the lube rack, and doesn't require lube techs to have their own tools to start.

Honesty, the willingness to learn and work hard, and a bit of mechanical inclination will go farther than any tech school.

I've never been to any "tech" school.

Plenty of professional technicians start on the lube rack and work their way up. No formal training required. OJT is better than anything you'll get in the classroom. My dealer even has a set of tools for the lube rack, and doesn't require lube techs to have their own tools to start.

Honesty, the willingness to learn and work hard, and a bit of mechanical inclination will go farther than any tech school.

Schools are for standardization, everyone does things a little differently than the next guy in every trade. Learning theory first makes things easier to learn, particularly advanced concepts.

You are correct though, education is no substitute for experience. Schools are also full of idiots and teachers are more than likely mediocre pros who can't or won't hack it. Elite professionals can make more money actually wrenching or running a business.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
With a budget of $5-600, I'd look on Craigslist and pawn shops for craftsman US-made stuff. Yes you can get a ton of HF stuff for dirt cheap, and some is OK, but I'll bet you can do better buying used.

Some stuff that counts then I'd look at SK, for quality, American made hand tools at a better price than the trucks. Support American manufacturing where you can!

+1

That what i would do. Ebay as older usa craftsman for not much more than HF.
Here is a USA set 5.5 to 18mm for under $50.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Cr...ch-Set-18MM-5-5MM-VV-VA-USA/264528811557

or
$37
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-Metric-Combination-Wrench-Set-12-Pieces-8mm-19mm-USA/143441322593

10 sae set for $34

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CRAFTSMAN-...tion-Wrench-Set-1-4-3-4-USA/143446832378

USA craftsman screw driver set 23piece $45

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-...Fast-Free-Priority-Shipping/383275597046

USA craftsman Adjustable wrench set 6"8"10" $39 or best offer $7.50 shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Cr...3-44604-USA/223555498191?epid=1423108559

you can buy all this for around $160.

Metric and sae socket set 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 drive for $179 or best offer $24.99 shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Cr...2-3-8-1-4-Drive-Made-in-USA/264540134421

Search around , you can probably find better deals than i found in 10 minutes. but all the above can be bought for just under $300! All USA.

Edit:

Channellock pliers 8 inch $13
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Channelloc...ty-Plier-with-Wire-Cutter-S/283664398922

Channellock adjustable 10& 12 pliers $28.95

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Channelloc...ning-GL-12-and-GL-10-Pliers/293341915829

Last edited:

You may have heard me mention this before, the best mechanic i know is a HS classmate who got his start as a lube tech. Some 25+yrs later he's a master tech w/certs and such... He just worked his way up the ladder and went to school, investing in himself... and he does quite well for himself. I'd take my car to him in a heartbeat if he were closer but he's in CA and I'm in WA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by maxdustington
10" Knipex Cobra is how I would spend that. Knipex Cobras are mandatory once they save your [censored] a few times.

+1
If he can afford them, they are fantastic, I have them, they are not cheap but amazing!

IMG_20191122_222246118.jpg

Last edited:
If you have a Meijer around, they should have a Black Friday BOGO on Tekton tools, which IMO are very close to Gearwrench and don't skip sizes like HF. Ratchets from either Tekton or HF will be decent as well as the Tekton wrenches.. once again, no skipped sizes.

I'd spend the money on wrenches personally, but I'm not sure on a brand that's within the budget. Maybe some used US Craftsman from eBay?

Can't offer much advice on screwdrivers either aside from the professional Craftsman black and red handle. Mine have been decent and I've had them for about 10 years of DIY use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
Check out the ICON sockets @ HF. Also get the plastic coated ratchets as they are great. I use mine every day. See if you can find the Taiwan made Kobalt wrenches @ Home depo.

Kobalt is Lowe's.

I agree with starting out at Harbor Freight. But buy their best socket or best wrench. I would avoid the "tool sets" (wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers).

Wright tools are also high quality. A little below Snap-On but higher than anything from big box stores.

Used Snap-On at pawn shops.

I personally concentrate on 1/4" and 1/2" sockets and forget about 3/8".

You going to have to get SAE and metric.

Do they have air available? A HF Earthquake impact wrench might be useful.

For $99, the 200 pc Husky socket set at Home Depot is a fairly complete selection of 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive sockets. Might need to add 24mm to the 1/2 drive, but this set has good coverage. The sockets are made in China, but their quality is fine.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1...e-Socket-Set-200-Piece-H200MSS/207186810

You'll need to add more tools (extensions, ratchets, wrenches, pliers, etc) but this will handle the most of the non-impact socket needs.

HF works ok for the hobbyest/weekend warrior. When you're using tools for a living, a broken tool means you no longer have the use of the tool until you take it back for replacement and the reason you broke it was that you needed it!
Craftsman works just fine. I used their tools for over 30 years and only broke a handful of sockets. SnapOn, Mac and MATCO do have specialty tools you can't find at retailers. SnapOn has a line of industrial tools that are a lot cheaper than the truck. Check them out as well.

Tekton or gearwrench for sockets and 1/4 and 3/8 drive stuff. 6 point only. More metric than inch. Do not over buy.
A few screwdrivers and torx and hex on sockets. A few pliers big and small. A few pin punches. A small flashlight.
Dont buy much half inch stuff at all. Harbor freight ratchet and break bar and a couple extensions.

Back