Staffing agencies can be a joke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lost my job at a large paper mill here in west Michigan 3 years ago. Got another good job 2.5 years ago and consider myself to be very blessed. My heart goes out to all of you who are under/un employed.

Theres honestly only so many times you can take the same [censored] repetitive monotonous boring tests over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

The tests gives the agency a ROUGH estimate of your knowledge but not entirely accurate. If they want to judge by a test then so be it. Theres many factors that can affect a persons performance on the tests, like sitting in terrible $5 lawnchairs for 3hrs with horrible warehouse lighting or the typing tests with those horrible typewriter keyboards.

She judged me 100% purely based on my tests, she doesnt know me as a person or what kind of employee I am or what Im capable of. I could have just had an off day for all she knows. I say its her loss cause I know my skills and what im good at. And more importantly as a person what I bring to the table.

Knowledge can be taught, personality cant.

I was very [censored] off at the time because I wasted my entire day there. I dont care anymore cause frankly theyre not worth my time. Other agencies have taken me in and seen who I am and what I offer employers and have found me some really great assignments. At the end of the day, theyre great cause theyre not the stuck up arrogant [censored] at that other agency.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Originally Posted By: Carnoobie

I was like you wouldnt believe. Wasted a trip 45mins across the city, pay for parking, spend 5hrs there, my entire day almost! only to tell her Im not qualified cause of 2%. So I was like her, its her loss. I just walked out.

Im not making fun of you, but how is it there loss at this point ? there are a million just like me, and just like you out there waiting for you to mess up so they can pounce on that job.. you spent your time, energy, money, and patience only to let 2% get to you at the end and walk out.. Other than a small moment of gratification you lost everything on this day.. your going home jobless, with less money in your pocket, all becouse of a small moment that could have been corrected and you could be back in the game.

Im not going to tell you i feel sorry for you, becouse its clear you messed up on this day, but its ok, we all mess up once in awhile, just learn from this mistake and move on.
Best of luck to you with your continued search for gainfull employment.

For the record it took me 6 year's of patience and working up to the job position i have today, i jumped through a Ton of Red Tape and OJT experiences, went and had to get more experience with more departments.. bla,bla,bla, 6 years, but in 6 years i doubled my salary and im still moving up..

patience my friend..

Last edited:
Just put my resume out with a staffing agency, I guess we'll see how this goes. It is one of the largest ones and one of my friends had had success with one of their other divisions.

Sadly as someone else mentioned the future of employment in the USA is nothing more than as a commodity, you are NOT a person (personnel) but a "human resource" to almost all companies today with a few rare exceptions.

I'vw worked for temp agencies that "promise--
temp to hire" and it NEVER ever is a reality for ANYONE they "hire" on at these agencies, it's just a ploy to get you on the job. Most temp agencies are shams and scams.

While I never say to not do an honest days work if we as employees are going to be nothing but cattle to these employers you might as well do the bare minimum and nothing more.
My rule is this: Do an honest days work factoring in the amount of money and benefits you receive. That DOESN'T ALWAYS MEAN OFFERING UP A 100% EFFORT. Usually it means about 80%.

I got a job or two through some staffing agencies and never had to take any aptitude tests like that.
one had me re-write my resume to satisfy the specific requirements of a job description; not lie about my qualifications, just include buzzwords they were looking for.

didn't get that job.

another one I had, after a few months the job wanted to hire me direct, they asked for my resume.
then they let me go, said they couldn't hire any more people for that quarter.

that was fine, I didn't like that job anyway, reopened my unemployment claim since it was still active.

I DID have to take an aptitude test once, tried to get a job at Crayola Crayons (they are local here).
I've never sat in a room with so many morons in my life. people with zero skills, could barely spell their own names.
at break time, I asked the person how long does this take; she said like 5-7 hours!
I did have a job working nights at the time, but I was trying to get into Crayola since they are a good employer, but I said I think I don't belong here, and I left.
they weren't looking for anyone with skills, they just needed bodies who can sort crayons into boxes as fast as possible.

Im glad your getting some assignments, good for you !
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back