Square stern canoes?

JHZR2

Staff member
Anyone have a square stern canoe? Anyone have one with a small engine?

Thinking to get a 15-17 ft canoe for one adult and 1-2 kids. Thinking also that a little 2.3hp tiller drive motor (Honda BF2.3 or similar) could also be fun in some circumstances.

Years ago Island Beach State Park in NJ have sedge island nature tours by canoe in Barnegat Bay. They were absolutely spectacular. We would canoe for miles in old town fiberglass canoes.

I’m thinking of a Grumman aluminum but don’t know much. What do I need to know?

Thanks!

I had one years ago. They can be very unstable with a small outboard. Any sudden steering inputs under power can upset the canoe.
Good to know. I’ve seen some with tiny electric motors, probably weaker than the 2.3hp smallest fueled motors.

I have no reason to need a motor on a canoe then novelty. I might get a jon boat of some kind as well for fun…

Are there intrinsic downsides to square stern canoes given that the L/d is slightly less?

My suggestion… Get a wide body John boat … The can be a LOT more stable and I’d want that if I were taking my young children out on a lake. Then if you want to use a motor… Get a Minnekota 72 pound thrust electric motor. Get 2 large REAL deep cycle TPPL batteries like a group 27.

You have the chargers and are extremely smart to know how to take care of those good batteries.

A wide body John boat would be my thought for stability and safety if you plan on taking 5-10 year old children in it.

Especially in an area where the water can be and stay quite cold well into the late spring up your way,

My suggestion… Get a wide body John boat … The can be a LOT more stable and I’d want that if I were taking my young children out on a lake. Then if you want to use a motor… Get a Minnekota 72 pound thrust electric motor. Get 2 large REAL deep cycle TPPL batteries like a group 27.

You have the chargers and are extremely smart to know how to take care of those good batteries.
The kids I’m taking are 6 and 10 and make league championships on swim team… and we wouldn’t go when there’s risk of rapid hypothermia. I know not to be cocky about swim skills though… The water we’d go in within our town isn’t huge so you’re not ever more than 100ft from the shore. But point taken.

And a flat bottom green aluminum jon boat would also be in the cards if we wanted to do much else.

I can tip a canoe just looking at it. I’m a Jon boat fan for that reason. Don’t have anything to add otherwise.

The kids I’m taking are 6 and 10 and make league championships on swim team… and we wouldn’t go when there’s risk of rapid hypothermia. I know not to be cocky about swim skills though… The water we’d go in within our town isn’t huge so you’re not ever more than 100ft from the shore. But point taken.

And a flat bottom green aluminum jon boat would also be in the cards if we wanted to do much else.

I understand. I know you are very, very smart and know about outdoor circumstances .

I will share with you that I never considered cold water and being in a boat until I was in my early 30s.

I went out in a John boat when it was in the middle of winter in 1996. The blizzard of 1996 had taken place a week before and we had to break ice to get to open water. I never thought about flipping a boat and what could happen. That same winter I went freshwater fishing with my friends Danny and David… Ice forming on your fishing line as you reeled it in… Stupid cold. Water probably 35 degrees.

It is a real consideration and having kids in a boat is a different matter all together.

Seriously though they do make wider John boats that are really awesome. If I were looking at a boat that’s what I would want to have. Then it gives you the ability to go on larger lakes and know it will be safer.

I’d save a canoe for like small creek or small river trips aka less then 200 feet across . Like the Dragon Run which is 20-40 feet across near where I lived in Gloucester County. People did that there all the time. I did a canoe trip with my step father down the Rivanna River to the James River in 1991. That was a lot of fun.

Canoes get faster and more stable the longer they are. I can't say I've ever been in a square back one, but seen a few out on the lakes. If you are never portaging the canoe and don't mind a trailer, then maybe just a boat is better to putter around in those ocean bays. I would be pretty comfortable staying along the mainland shore and going up some the rivers and streams, but heading across to the sand bar and islands, wouldn't be fun if much of a west wind came up... If you want all 4 of you to go into some fresh water lakes a 17.5-18' kevlar canoe can still be 50-55lbs and carry 2 adults, 2 kids with a week or two of camping stuff, and you can put it on top of any car.
If you get into some rough water the two paddlers should have their knees on the bottom and the kids sitting on the bottom, keep your paddles in the water and you can handle pretty big waves, if they aren't breaking over the sides. A canoe course is good to take too, as there's a few techniques and habits that make it pretty easy and tipping isn't a worry. We've been in pretty rough water a few times and it was water coming over the sides was the potentially scary part, not tipping.
Stuff like the J stroke too, it makes paddling on a bigger lake even in a bit of wind, not a big deal once you get some experience.

Last edited:
I have been in a 17 foot Grumman square stern. It’s been years. It was a friends and he used it for fishing With a small electric motor. Both of us canoed regularly. It was pretty much a normal canoe for stability but it was extremely inefficient to actually paddle. The electric motor moved it along fine however.

I agree it was the worst of all worlds. It was unstable like a canoe but inefficient for paddle power. It’s amazing how much that rear wake sucks you backwards. I was shocked. It was also pretty heavy.

I would either get a Jon boat if you want to motorize or get a lightweight canoe if you want to paddle. If it were me. I switched to Kayaks instead.

Screenshot_20230728-195908_Chrome.jpg

I've no idea how well these work, but it would be nice to power upwind.

About 90$ without the drill, and battery.

I understand. I know you are very, very smart and know about outdoor circumstances .

I will share with you that I never considered cold water and being in a boat until I was in my early 30s.

I went out in a John boat when it was in the middle of winter in 1996. The blizzard of 1996 had taken place a week before and we had to break ice to get to open water. I never thought about flipping a boat and what could happen. That same winter I went freshwater fishing with my friends Danny and David… Ice forming on your fishing line as you reeled it in… Stupid cold. Water probably 35 degrees.

It is a real consideration and having kids in a boat is a different matter all together.

Seriously though they do make wider John boats that are really awesome. If I were looking at a boat that’s what I would want to have. Then it gives you the ability to go on larger lakes and know it will be safer.

I’d save a canoe for like small creek or small river trips aka less then 200 feet across . Like the Dragon Run which is 20-40 feet across near where I lived in Gloucester County. People did that there all the time. I did a canoe trip with my step father down the Rivanna River to the James River in 1991. That was a lot of fun.
Just to be clear, I’d never take the kids, or go myself if the water was that cold. This would probably be a May-June, and sept-October thing primarily, simply because being out in direct sun at any time of the day that’s practical (I did crew in college and afterwards, so been there done that with rowing too early and too late) and cool doesn’t exist otherwise, and in the heat of the summer, we go to our beautiful, town pool from after work until close.

Also, I’m talking town lakes and ponds. Not canoeing on the Delaware or Hudson River. And I’m not sure Id even go on a job oat on those because of the issues with smaller Jon boats and wakes….

I have been in a 17 foot Grumman square stern. It’s been years. It was a friends and he used it for fishing With a small electric motor. Both of us canoed regularly. It was pretty much a normal canoe for stability but it was extremely inefficient to actually paddle. The electric motor moved it along fine however.

I agree it was the worst of all worlds. It was unstable like a canoe but inefficient for paddle power. It’s amazing how much that rear wake sucks you backwards. I was shocked. It was also pretty heavy.

I would either get a Jon boat if you want to motorize or get a lightweight canoe if you want to paddle. If it were me. I switched to Kayaks instead.

Thats exactlynwhat I was interested in/concerned about, The Grumman sport boat is different from a square stern canoe, but looks much similar. Are you sure you weren’t in one of those? I have read that the sport boat hull design isn’t efficient for paddling. My prior experience paddling canoes hasn’t been bad, including in open water in Barnegat Bay.

Canoes get faster and more stable the longer they are. I can't say I've ever been in a square back one, but seen a few out on the lakes. If you are never portaging the canoe and don't mind a trailer, then maybe just a boat is better to putter around in those ocean bays. I would be pretty comfortable staying along the mainland shore and going up some the rivers and streams, but heading across to the sand bar and islands, wouldn't be fun if much of a west wind came up... If you want all 4 of you to go into some fresh water lakes a 17.5-18' kevlar canoe can still be 50-55lbs and carry 2 adults, 2 kids with a week or two of camping stuff, and you can put it on top of any car.
If you get into some rough water the two paddlers should have their knees on the bottom and the kids sitting on the bottom, keep your paddles in the water and you can handle pretty big waves, if they aren't breaking over the sides. A canoe course is good to take too, as there's a few techniques and habits that make it pretty easy and tipping isn't a worry. We've been in pretty rough water a few times and it was water coming over the sides was the potentially scary part, not tipping.
Stuff like the J stroke too, it makes paddling on a bigger lake even in a bit of wind, not a big deal once you get some experience.
Good feedback. Never thought about canoe courses, that’s a great idea.
I can tip a canoe just looking at it. I’m a Jon boat fan for that reason. Don’t have anything to add otherwise.
Except that jonboats that are too narrow can also be somewhat tippy, they would be almost impossible to flip back once over and you’re in the water, and the low sides make them easier to swamp. Dont get me wrong, I have tons of miles going up rivers and back down when I was coaching crew… I like them. But if I was going anyplace where tipping was an issue, say, the Delaware River up in the Poconos, or south If Philadelphia and into the Delaware bay, I don’t know that I’d run a jonboat there… a 14ft v-hull maybe… but if I was going to go to actual Rivers, I’d probably go for a 13ft tiller drive whaler.

The Grumman sport boat is different from a square stern canoe, but looks much similar.
I am not sure of anything - it was years ago. We got in and my friend was going to start the motor. We were avid canoers so I said let’s paddle for a while. We went nowhere - literally. I think two guys paddling a 16 foot v hull would be as fast. So I guess my suggestion is to try before you buy however, now being a kayaker and understanding hull design a little bit it makes sense.

Last edited:
I can't get back in a canoe once it tips. The sharks, gators or crocks will get me if I can't swim to shore in time. The idea that a canoe is somehow safe, is utterly incorrect. One has to be fit AND experienced to empty a swamped canoe and get back in.

I can't get back in a canoe once it tips. The sharks, gators or crocks will get me if I can't swim to shore in time. The idea that a canoe is somehow safe, is utterly incorrect. One has to be fit AND experienced to empty a swamped canoe and get back in.

Yes but the OP lives in New Jersey, so his concern is being able to get back in before the lake freezes over in the fall :)

But yes, I had canoes and sit in Kayaks when I lived inland, but when we moved to the coast I upgraded to sit on top's for a variety of reasons, getting on and off being one of them.

Well, its not really unsafe, if you know what you are doing. But yes its not as idiot proof as other watercraft for sure... The only time my wife and I've tipped is goofing around throwing mud at each, in 3" of water... But we took a good flatwater canoe course and made sure we know what we are doing. That said I might pick other watercraft for travelling through water thick with large predators, but in Canada its just water temperature you have to take into account.

Small boats are often designed to float when flipped but they just have enough flotation so they barely float. Usually you can push them back under the water completely with the effort you can exert with one finger. So you take a small boat like that and you add a metal weight to it like a motor or even worse an electric motor with a couple of lead acid batteries and if you flip it or swamp it it's going to the bottom and it's not coming back up. So, if you're going to add weight to a small boat be sure that the amount of flotation that you add has the ability to easily hold up that excess weight.

By the way there's nothing wrong with paddling a canoe. It's good exercise . Learn what the J stroke and the sweep are and how to use them when you're in the back of the canoe. The boy scout canoe merit badge book it's cheap and teaches you a lot about how to use a canoe.

Back