sprinter oil change - not low SAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by angryorc
mb recommendation on this one is 5w30, but 10w40 is thick oil and i was told that using thinner oil like 5w30 after thick oil is not a good idea, it will eat up that oil because engine is already formed to work on thick oil

Who in gods name is telling you or told you this? I'll wait for a honest answer from you. I dont want your "opinion or story" either

mb recommendation on this one is 5w30, but 10w40 is thick oil and i was told that using thinner oil like 5w30 after thick oil is not a good idea, it will eat up that oil because engine is already formed to work on thick oil

Seriously?

Most you guys have missed the boat on this from the very beginning. How many 2009 Sprinter 310 CDI 2.2's do you think there are in the State of Georgia? If there is 1, it's probably someone visiting from Mexico or S. America. So most this "advice" is worth no more than angryorc paid for it...assuming he found free internet. But this is a forum for oil "experts" not necessarily for anyone who passed Geography class in high school. Or, heck, maybe it was a trick question from the start.

What if he just bought it used, with no owners manual, and it had been abused for the last 10 years? What if it burns a liter (similar to a quart, for those of you who never understood the metric system) every 2000km? He said it has 170,000 miles (did he convert the km's to miles for our benefit???)

But, now trying to be serious: here is more Mercedes info: https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.51_en.html

On that chart, You can change the 229.51 to another spec once you determine which spec is actually needed (from my earlier link above). It's possible 229.31 and/or 228.51 are also approved, if he has the OM646 motor (just a guess), though I don't see why they would be preferable, except price or availability in a pinch.

By the way, if a thicker oil does make sense (like that never happens in USA), there are 5w40's in the 229.51 spec. And if 228.51 meets spec, there are 10w40 and even 15w40 that meet that spec.

Last edited:
here everyone believe it works like this, if its wrong then ill use 5w30 next time and see how it goes

With the proper approval? That's key, not the grade.

Angryorc, I was trying to stick up for you, And provide a way to get best answer, since obviously no one on this forum (except maybe EdiVW) really understood your situation.

By the way, you might look at other fluids to see how healthy they are: transmission fluid, engine coolant, brake fluid, rear differential fluid.

Does your van have an automatic transmission, or a manual shift?

Are you using the van for business, or "pleasure," like for instance, for travel ("camper-van")?

By the way, I still like the idea of a 5w40 oil that meets the 229.51 spec.

Last edited:
its manual, for heavy duty, i carry some heavy stuff for business, regarding other fluids i checked their level and they are fine, i was told other fluid does not need replacement just need to check levels, regarding my question i am just worried that current oil might harm dpf, i dont believe it will harm
engine, on another forum they told me it would be fine, just dont run it more than 5k miles on it. so you think next time i should go for 5w40 229.51?

its manual, for heavy duty, i carry some heavy stuff for business, regarding other fluids i checked their level and they are fine, i was told other fluid does not need replacement just need to check levels, regarding my question i am just worried that current oil might harm dpf, i dont believe it will harm
engine, on another forum they told me it would be fine, just dont run it more than 5k miles on it. so you think next time i should go for 5w40 229.51?

Well, all fluids age. I don't know to what extent your antifreeze coolant or brake fluid would be a concern, but if "original" they would be getting very "tired" by now. Even manual transmission and differential oil could need changing out after 170,000 miles.

Regarding your engine oil, since I know almost NOTHING about DPF systems, I don't know how long you can push things with "high ash" oil. All I know is Mercedes, VW, BMW, and a few other European brands began getting real fussy about oils going into their vehicles. I was interested in buying a Sprinter 5 yrs ago, so I tried to learn a little about why Sprinter oil changes were so expensive, and came across their tables like the ones I shared. I've had 5 yrs to forget what I read, since I bought the Transit (with gasoline motor) instead, but since then, I've seen more and more manufacturers get fussy about oil. That said, in both my vehicles, I am running oils that do NOT conform to manufacturer specs; supposedly the oils I am using are BETTER than what the specs call for. I paid for advice with the Ford, and followed-the-Internet-crowd for my Subaru oil. In both cases I have paid for used-oil analyses. The Subaru results have been quite good, and the Ford results have shown vexing issues, hence paying a cranky old oil expert named Terry for remediation advice. But I'm more the student, not the teacher.

Last edited:

I have Sprinters in business I co-own in Bosnia. They run regularly on Repsol 5W30 MB 229.51.

To the OP....

No you should get rid of that Full-saps oil you have in your car...it will slowly ploug your DPF...especially in a 10yrs old vehicle....I am sure that it burns some oil...

You need oil wich is DPF friendly...

In general any low saps specification from the "holly trinity" will work... MB 229.51/52...BMW LL-04... Vw 504/507... Or ACEA C3/C4....

Or you can go HDEO way with MB 228.51/228.31...

Etc....whatever it is easier to find in "Gruzija"
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back