Sports fan talking to you about your baseball cap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wear a couple of different sports team baseball caps (Florida Marlins, Detroit Lions, Red Sox, Gators, FSU Seminoles, etc... but i really don't follow sports or really give a [censored] if they are having a terrible season.

If I go to supermarket or gas station, some stranger will start a conversation about Bubba Hank's (made up athlete) winning TD, stolen base, slam dunk, interception, etc... and I just nod my head in agreement not knowing what the person is talking about. Usually I like a black or dark colored blue cap.
confused2.gif
21.gif
33.gif
21.gif

Has this ever happened to you and you don't want to be rude cause a stranger is pestering you ?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I wear a couple of different sports team baseball caps (Florida Marlins, Detroit Lions, Red Sox, Gators, FSU Seminoles, etc... but i really don't follow sports or really give a [censored] if they are having a terrible season.

If I go to supermarket or gas station, some stranger will start a conversation about Bubba Hank's (made up athlete) winning TD, stolen base, slam dunk, interception, etc... and I just nod my head in agreement not knowing what the person is talking about. Usually I like a black or dark colored blue cap.
confused2.gif
21.gif
33.gif
21.gif

Has this ever happened to you and you don't want to be rude cause a stranger is pestering you ?

A friend of my wears a Montreal Expos hat. No talk about any Expos recent activity since they are history. (Move to DC, IIRC, but I reserve the right to be wrong.)

Just wear something that isn't common.

I don't mind and usually keep up with how the teams on my head are doing.

I don't keep up with transactions. So if someone starts talking about trades and similar, I just say I keep up with the games, not the deals.

I don't like wearing hats, I find them uncomfortable. But my brother loves wearing hats, he has pretty long hair too. He usually wears those bucket hats and one is black and white and has flowers on it
crackmeup2.gif
he doesn't care.

As the Tribe goes on to yet another World Series.
I grew up in Rocky River, so I still favor the Indians.
I remember me and our Pyrenees puppy watching in 1995 with Ted Turner and his current bimbo rooting for their Braves. Didn't go well for the Indians although IIRC it was some epic extra innings game that got them there.
Hope they win this time.

I nearly always wear ball caps, but like the OP, could care less about sports.

these days i stick to either plain, unlogo-ed hats, or brands that i use/am a fan of, etc.(ex:WIX, cooper tires, Bad Obsession Motorsport, Autobots, etc...), or ones family member have picked up on vacations(it's nigh-on improbable to find 3x T-shirts in most tourist-y shops)

the only sporting team logos i've worn in my adult life are 2 Colleges,1) Ohio University (Most of my HS friends went there), and University of Texas (My Brother until the this past May worked for UT)...

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
As the Tribe goes on to yet another World Series.
I grew up in Rocky River, so I still favor the Indians.

And they deserved to win. The Indians totally outplayed the Blue Jays.
And that Andrew Miller...WOW. I know the Yankees are building for the future, but giving up Miller was either really smart or really dumb.

As for hats, I have a Yankees hat I bought in NYC a couple of years ago.
Not once in two years has anybody ever tried to talk to me about it.

The only thing anyone has ever tried to talk to me about is... a T-shirt.
The shirt is from Sno-To-Go in Williamsburg VA. A guy I met at Disney World in Florida happened to be from Williamsburg, and asked me if I lived there as well.
He was disappointed that we had simply purchased the shirt while at Sno-To-Go.

I'm hoping the Indians will play the Cubs in the World Series. Nice feeling to sit back and wait to see who it will be.

Because some people have strong opinions on certain subjects I'd never wear clothing that displayed a logo or anything else like that. That includes stickers for my car, too. There's little enough privacy, even in one's own home to invite someone's unwanted attention.

You would think you could buy plain baseball caps on the 'Net for dirt cheap, but I guess not. I haven't seen any. Seems easy enough to mumble something about "I just found the hat"

If you are in NYC in the summertime the street vendors are a good bet. Cheap, and trademark enforcement is just enough to keep things vague and people off balance. I had an "NY" hat in sorta Yankees script, but not, and in Carolina blue. No one quite knew what to say.

I have nice T shirt which says "Hard GLOCK Cafe"," Quanitico", and a depiction of a target with a couple of holes in the ten ring. Gets the occasional double take.

My best friend is high school found out it was a bad idea to wear a SF Giants hat and jersey to a Dodger game. I had a Yankee hat on but did not receive any ridicule.

If I wear a hat it is usually one of my Tony Stewart ones. Most people have no idea who he is, and some gave me grief when the kid in NY was high and ran in front of his car in a black driving suit on an unlit backstretch.

My Canadian coworker wears a "Make America Great Again" hat around Nova Scotia simply for reaction on folks faces and interactions.

I wear my DUKE cap a lot. Being from college basketball crazy NC, it's almost a requirement to wear a Duke, UNC, NC state or Wake Forest cap. It generates a lot of friendly banter from many people.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
My Canadian coworker wears a "Make America Great Again" hat around Nova Scotia simply for reaction on folks faces and interactions.

That would be an attention getter for sure...
People here are sporting new Jays caps here but I find its like its part of some trendy social uniform. I had no interest in baseball until my kid started playing, so I wear his teams cap.
I have my old Stihl cap that I got for free at the plowing match years ago, but the only guy who cared was my husqvarna/tractor dealer who gave me a husqvarna one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back