"Sport Mode" all the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by IndyIan
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
You'll have to change the ATF sooner than otherwise and there will be increased wear on the transmission. How much wear is basically impossible to quantify.

I don't even think you could assume that, the trans may actually shift much less since its not going through the upper gears every time you let off the throttle, and then downshifting 3 times next time you touch the gas... Also the crisper shifts may have all the clutches and belts slipping less trying to smooth out the shifts too.

Perhaps, on the other hand driving in sport mode would easily fall under "offensive, sporty driving" which some OE's (ZF specifically) state a shorter ATF change interval.

I use it sometimes in moderately heavy city traffic, when I need to make quick speed changes.
It keeps the engine 2000-2500 rpm for more throttle response.
Only for a few minutes at a time, until traffic loosens up and I revert to my normal, gentle driving style.

Our 2.3 EB 2017 Explorer is much more pleasurable to drive in the 35-50 mph range in Sport mode. In Drive at those speeds it always feels and looks like you ALMOST are lugging the engine, very low rpms on the tach. In Sport mode it raises the rpm's up ~200-300 rpm at the same speed as when in Drive. It doesn't feel like it on the verge of lugging. That has to be better for the engine, especially with LSPI potential, I would think.

Whimsey

I would think that most who purchase these cars (that are performance orientated) with that option would use it all the time.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
I would think that most who purchase these cars (that are performance orientated) with that option would use it all the time.
My wife's 1.5L Ecoboost Ford Fusion has a "sport" mode. My Mom's '18 CR-V has a "sport" mode as well. I don't think having this mode has anything to do with the vehicle (or the driver) being performance oriented.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
How can it tighten up the steering? Honestly curious how a button can change steering response.

Pushing these buttons can change the suspension settings on some cars as well. My wife's Fusion absolutely feels like the suspension tightens up when in Sport mode but in this vehicle, there's no indication that sport does anything beyond increasing the throttle level (when I switch from D to S and do not move the throttle pedal position, it will increase 200-300 rpm) and transmission shift points. Those are the only two (major) adjustments that I'm aware of it.

Reason I think it does change the suspension is we've driven on a particular road that has dips and small hills ("humps" ?) and in normal mode, it kind of floats up and down as you go through these. I've had it in sport mode over the same parts and after cresting a hump, instead of floating like a boat, it pulls down very quickly. You will feel it in your stomach, it's so strong.

The TC-SST trans in the Evo X MRs were recommended to stay in Sport+ in order to reduce the clutch wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back