Spectrum cable modem

Cable modem started showing two amber lights about a week ago. No problems with TVs or Computers. Lights are labeled DS and US. Cycling power didn't fix it. Woke up last night a little after midnight and heard a vehicle idling curbside. Looked out and some dude with a flat bed pickup with a big light on top was fiddling around in the cable box. Spectrum has had a contractor installing underground service to a new housing area two blocks east. Guess the guy fixed whatever was bringing the amber lights on because they are green this AM. Anyone familiar with Arris modem and the DC/US lights?

I have an Arris modem its worked just fine for me now for oh about 3 years I'm on Comcast and decided it was time to get away from their rental fee. My moden paid for itself in less than a year. Its faster than the old Comcast modem.

Those lights mean downlink and uplink status. They indicate that the modem has received a signal from the cable (DS) and has started to transmit a signal (US). The modem will only transmit after it has received permission from the cable system, so US will only come on after DS.

There probably was a problem with the cable system not your modem.

Though it varies by model, generally the lights blink while acquiring a signal, then come on steady green when signal is OK. Amber may indicate a weak signal.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mk378
Those lights mean downlink and uplink status. They indicate that the modem has received a signal from the cable (DS) and has started to transmit a signal (US). The modem will only transmit after it has received permission from the cable system, so US will only come on after DS.

There probably was a problem with the cable system not your modem.

Though it varies by model, generally the lights blink while acquiring a signal, then come on steady green when signal is OK. Amber may indicate a weak signal.

Thank you mk. Hosteen

DS = DownStream (data coming to you)
US = UpStream (data you send out)

Flickering means it's losing connection (off means it lost connection, on means it's reconnected). With internet, it might be nothing more than an annoyance if disconnects, reconnects, disconnects, etc but you said "no problems with computers" so it's strange....

I had issue I upgraded to ultra 400 tier.. wasnt getting full speed.

They tell me its not guaranteed with my own modem.
there is no rental fee now with spectrum..
Ok so I visit 4 spectrum stores none have one of those modems.. covid-19 they tell me...

So get back on spectrum support
ask them to ship me their docsis 3.1 modem
which is required before spectrum tech support will troubleshoot line speed.

hasnt arrived for a month(33 days actually)

talk to spectrum support again.. they said your modem is fine.. good upto 1gbps. (actually good for 400mbits on their chart)
I said oh what modem does it say I have.. " we dont know our system just tells us its good for 1gbps."

Well thats funny tech support dept. told me they wont troubleshoot without me using your equipment(not self owned equipment)

do you want tech support.. nooo tech support told me I need a docsis 3.1 modem you never sent.

go around in a circle for 20min.. hopefully they send modem this time.

Oh and they dont pro-rate anything anymore.. you turn on a service a day before your billing period ends and get billed for a full month now.

GREAT customer service.. if AT&T fiber was here (stops 1000ft from my house) I'd have switched by now.. probably not any better though.

internet provider should be like water, gas , electric a regulated public utility.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rand

internet provider should be like water, gas , electric a regulated public utility.

REGULATED?!?! whadareyou? some kinda Commie!?!?!

all kidding aside, i agree with you 100%... with the realization that it's not gonna happen anytime soon... too much $$ to be made by keeping the Status, at least, Quo...

Spectrum boosted my internet price by 20% two months ago right in the middle of covid and the work-from-home thing.

And they won't tell you the non-introductory base price as it varies from street to street, town to town. "How much ya got?"

Your modem may have an internal webpage, something like 192.168.1.100 or 0.100 or 0.1 or similar. It'll have a signal/noise level and other useful info.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Spectrum boosted my internet price by 20% two months ago right in the middle of covid and the work-from-home thing.

They have been by far the worst to deal with out of the ISPs I've worked with. Twice they've sent out cable modems/routers to my employees that weren't properly configured, then gave one employee IP addresses like he has his own business router.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Cable modem started showing two amber lights about a week ago. No problems with TVs or Computers. Lights are labeled DS and US. Cycling power didn't fix it. Woke up last night a little after midnight and heard a vehicle idling curbside. Looked out and some dude with a flat bed pickup with a big light on top was fiddling around in the cable box. Spectrum has had a contractor installing underground service to a new housing area two blocks east. Guess the guy fixed whatever was bringing the amber lights on because they are green this AM. Anyone familiar with Arris modem and the DC/US lights?

The amber lights were inducating you were running at slower network speeds.

Last edited:
Back