Sparks in Formula 1

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I've been watching the Netflix series about Formula 1 racing, and I've seen many cars create sparks when something on their bottom side scrapes the pavement. This was the most exciting sparking I've seen. Not only is there a big spray of sparks out the back, but sparking (scraping) is observable under the cars as well.

Clipboard01.jpg

What is scraping that causes the sparking? How much, if any, damage is caused to the cars and/or the track surface?

racefansdotnet-21-03-26-20-N-55-3.jpg

They're from titanium blocks embedded in the plank running down the middle of the car. The plank is actually made of a wood composite.

The blocks are a regulated wear item. When new, they can only be so thick. After racing, they're measured. Too much wear is effectively an indicator of maintaining a too-low ride height. It's very difficult to set an actual minimum ride height on a car with so much aero because the static ride height is wildly different than the ride height at speed. The blocks allow a simple way to regulate ride height.

The cars spark more at the beginning of the race, when the cars are heavy from the fuel load, and at high speed, when aero forces are pushing down on the car. You'll typically see the most sparks at the end of a high speed straight.

For a few years they didn't use titanium blocks, in the V10 and V8 periods when the sound was enough and no pyrotechnics were needed! When they introduced the V6 turbo quiet low revving motors, I think they realized they needed some extra show added again...
I love that Fernando went out and gave his old V10 a proper hard run when he had the chance in 2020. Reminded people what F1 used to sound like...

Last edited:
They're from titanium blocks embedded in the plank running down the middle of the car. The plank is actually made of a wood composite.
[...]
The cars spark more at the beginning of the race, when the cars are heavy from the fuel load, and at high speed, when aero forces are pushing down on the car. You'll typically see the most sparks at the end of a high speed straight.
Thanks for that useful, entertaining, and informative reply. (y)

I read somewhere that they added the titanium in part to add excitement to the night races.

Back