SpaceX Launch

And just what are men in space going to do that robots can't. I am not against space exploration as I eat up astro phsice. Just see no point in man going there. Thats all.
What did humans going to the moon get us that a non human probe couldn't have done? It cost 10 times as much as it should have bc we needed to what if everything. If we would have concentrated on robots doing it we would be light years a head with robots. Yes I realize no one here thought of than and won't acknowledge it.

Its easy to make the argument we would have had even more technology by developing ways to replace a human being. Again it was 100% a matter of U.S. pride. I get that.

Originally Posted by Al
And just what are men in space going to do that robots can't. I am not against space exploration as I eat up astro phsice. Just see no point in man going there. Thats all.
What did humans going to the moon get us that a non human probe couldn't have done? It cost 10 times as much as it should have bc we needed to what if everything. If we would have concentrated on robots doing it we would be light years a head with robots. Yes I realize no one here thought of than and won't acknowledge it.

Its easy to make the argument we would have had even more technology by developing ways to replace a human being. Again it was 100% a matter of U.S. pride. I get that.

I think you're mixing up the technology and the time. Probably could have sent robots, but they were more limited back then. Lots of robots have been sent out on various probes.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by Al

I think you're mixing up the technology and the time. Probably could have sent robots, but they were more limited back then. Lots of robots have been sent out on various probes.

Heck ... "Pong" wasn't even invented until 3 years after the first moon landing, lol.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Al

Heck ... "Pong" wasn't even invented until 3 years after the first moon landing, lol.

Yeah, if he watched Chernobyl, Russia didn't have the robots to clean up their mess so they used human ones as robots. That was just in '86. It's more complex to use a robot than a human.

Technically SpaceX is only doing it because NASA got out of the space launching business and put it out for bid. Boeing was also in the hunt but they're a little behind. The theory is that it's cheaper to put it out for bid than building your own.

Exactly. I work in the aerospace industry and it's just amazing how NASA literally has their hand in everything. Nearly every project at my company we work on is ultimately funded by NASA, regardless of what big aerospace company our contract is through. Space-X, Boeing, etc... All use NASA test facilities and they all kind of need each other to support the end goals. Interesting field!

Last edited:
Finally space flight looks like what the sci-fi movies had it looking like by this time.

Is it just me or does it look like the pad support staff look like they are in gimp suits?

I know there are a lotta Tesla lovers here (j/k), but Elon Musk has brought our space travel up to Tesla technologies.
No more analog; touch screen. And AP...

Dragon

spacex_touchscreen.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
No more analog; touch screen.
Call me old school, but I prefer the tactical feel and precision of a button or knob over a touch screen. In the car world, I am a touch screen hater.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Call me old school, but I prefer the tactical feel and precision of a button or knob over a touch screen. In the car world, I am a touch screen hater.

What did you think when you drove one?

I don't mind a touch screen, but I do prefer buttons/switches.

What did you think when you drove one?

I hated it, and I still do - my Charger has a touch screen. It requires more concentration and more time that your eyes are not watching the road to successfully execute a button press on the screen. Often times I mis-press as the vehicle is moving and driving over road irregularities. For some reason I never have that problem with physical buttons.

Especially those on the steering wheel … but I will admit to have cussed the lady hidden in the dash when she comes up with a shopping place in Oregon (and I'm near Houston) …

Yeah, that Dragon is pretty cool, but can it recognize cones in real time like wifey's car?
And stream Eric Clapton?

IMG_20200527_143819.jpg

Last edited:
Back