Space Exploration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a space nut as a kid. Interest declined as I got older, but never entirely went away. I figure by the time its down to the point I could - maybe - afford it, I'll be so old that there's not going to be anything of equal interest to compete for it. I'd trade it at that point for that once in a lifetime, 3 hour trip that was something I could only ever fantasize about as a kid. At that point, I can't take it with me when I go, and have no kids (nor plans to have any) to hand it down to.

Though there are things I'd do differently if the opportunity was present to have a "do over," I'd like to be able to say - at the end - I've been everywhere within my means to go and seen all that I could; if space flight makes it to within those means, I'd trade a life's savings for that three hour trip and view from above that you can only see from space (and which I don't think any picture can fully capture).

-Spyder

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kestas
Though space flight has caught our fancy since childhood, I personally don't think a three hour space tour would be that thrilling. It'd be really cool, but certainly not "life savings" thrilling.

For me, clearing the vomit off the front face shield would kind of ruin the experience.
lol.gif

nick,

space exploration is great, but we are broke. so I don't see the U.S government spending billions of dollars exploring in outer space anytime soon.

I mentioned "three hours" because the people who are toying with space tourism know that's about how long it takes for space sickness to set in.

The last I read, roughly half the astronauts suffer from some form of this malady.

That's something I'm pretty resilient to (having taken every amusement ride I could find growing up and visiting various amusement parks in Canada), and have only experience once: on a ferry ride that crossed the St. Lawrence strait. I was fine for most of the trip, until we encountered the major current on the strait that had put the ferry in perpetual, violent saw-saw motion that seemed like it wouldn't end. A Gravol tablet put an end to the motion sickness, and I experienced only relatively mild nausea.

That said, I'll still gladly take my chances - if that chance ever arises
laugh.gif

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I mentioned "three hours" because the people who are toying with space tourism know that's about how long it takes for space sickness to set in.

The last I read, roughly half the astronauts suffer from some form of this malady.

It really would depend on how the trip getting there goes and obviously the return (landing). I think this would be the greatest importance, as well.

As a side note, I'm all for space tourism, but I don't think that is the future answer to space exploration or missions.

I would guess that Giffords's (and her entourage) 2 trips from the rehab center and back probably eliminated another space flight.

Last edited:
Over the years, I've experienced zero G in a few different aircraft. The best was a Gulfstream GIII, with about 40 seconds of weightlessness. I love it. It's so much fun, especially with the window shades closed, as that way there is no visual reference.

I can understand the desire to travel to space. It's not simply the weightlessness, but the view too! I've never been above 51,000 feet, where the curvature of the earth is just barely visible, if you look carefully.

200 plus miles up must simply be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back