Sorry if this has been asked by is Shell 87 Octane have the same

Just about every major brand gasoline producer, in particular those that are "certified top tier," has a proprietary blend of additives that get mixed in with the gas sold at their gas stations.

FWIW when I had a Subaru that recommended at least 91 octane gas I found that it ran best on Shell premium gas and the higher the octane the better.

Just about every major brand gasoline producer, in particular those that are "certified top tier," has a proprietary blend of additives that get mixed in with the gas sold at their gas stations.

FWIW when I had a Subaru that recommended at least 91 octane gas I found that it ran best on Shell premium gas and the higher the octane the better.
I don't know if I'd necessarily call it proprietary, because that generally implies uniqueness. Many of the major brands (even the legacy brands) are owned by companies without their own resources to develop additives. They could insist on having a chemical company develop a proprietary additive (like what Costco has) or they could just buy a ready-made additive that's been certified for Top Tier via testing. Top Tier can be met (at a higher concentration) by the same additive package that can used at minimum concentrations to meet minimum legal requirements. So it's certainly possible that the same "generic" bulk additive is used as a Top Tier additive, but in higher concentrations. It would require actual engine tests to see the performance of the additive with a specific concentration.

I don't think this is accurate. It is 5x the EPA requirement, which would be higher than min top tier requirement, but probably in line with others.
"With five times the EPA required amount of additives in our fuel, we are proud to call it Kirkland Signature™ Gasoline."
I stand corrected. I do know that Costco has Lubrizol make them a proprietary additive package that they add at the station with every delivery. Those gas attendants are trained how to do it. One told me that it is computerized but if it breaks down they have to do it manually. It's not easy to do as it is very thick according to him. I was in line at a Costco station in FL and a company was working on piping and valves about 3 ft in the ground covered by metal panels. One of the guys told me they had repaired the additive system. Why would Costco go to all this expense? Maybe they don't trust delivery terminals? Want to have control over their product?
I bought a V8 MB that had questionable care. It didn't seem to run very smooth. After several tanks of Costco premium, it really smoothed out and ran very well. I figured it cleaned up the intake system.

I stand corrected. I do know that Costco has Lubrizol make them a proprietary additive package that they add at the station with every delivery. Those gas attendants are trained how to do it. One told me that it is computerized but if it breaks down they have to do it manually. It's not easy to do as it is very thick according to him. I was in line at a Costco station in FL and a company was working on piping and valves about 3 ft in the ground covered by metal panels. One of the guys told me they had repaired the additive system. Why would Costco go to all this expense? Maybe they don't trust delivery terminals? Want to have control over their product?
I bought a V8 MB that had questionable care. It didn't seem to run very smooth. After several tanks of Costco premium, it really smoothed out and ran very well. I figured it cleaned up the intake system.

I would think that Costco goes through this because they have the volume to make it cost effective. Not quite sure how other fuel marketers do it - especially the smaller ones. There's always a "generic" additive although I'm not sure how consistently available it is. Many of the additives supposedly scale from EPA minimum to Top Tier. Not sure what the agreements are for Chevron or Shell to have proprietary additives available at the fuel terminal, but it's bound to cost them money compared to just pulling from the generic additive. It would probably be a cost benefit if several fuel marketers just used the same generic additive that met Top Tier requirements and they all had it metered from the same tanks.

I saw the Phillips/76/Conoco marketing material that implied that 2.5x the EPA mandated additive level met Top Tier, but I'm not sure this is true as a practical matter. There's always the chance that 2x of one additive's EPA minimum meets Top Tier while 3x of another would do that. Or possibly that one particular additive can't even meet it at all regardless of the concentration. There's also the question as to what happens when different additives are mixed in the same tank.

Usually the add packs are the same, but several companies use more of it in the premium fuels.
BP was always one that got more additives in their premium grade at my terminal.
However, the additives are not put in "per product". In other words all 89 and 87 is additized at the 87 levels, there is not "a little bit more" additive in mid grade. Computers control the loading rack and the additive injectors so this is easily accomplished. Both Top Tech and Fuel Facs can do it through the recipes.
Kinda strike another blow against top tier in my opinion.

I thought the mid grade 89 was mixed at the pump by the 87 & 93 mixing while being pumped into your car.

I thought the mid grade 89 was mixed at the pump by the 87 & 93 mixing while being pumped into your car.
Depends on the station. I haven’t personally come across a station with a dedicated 89 tank, but I know they exist in some places. You can here the pumps switch when pumping 89 as it shuffles between 87 and 93. In that case, 89 will have slightly more additives than 87 assuming that premium contains more additives at that station.

On the tests that I've seen Shell 93 has the highest premium grade additives and Exxon has the highest level of additives for regular grade gasoline

I'd like to see those tests. Been thinking a bit about gasoline additives recently. Can you provide any links or pointers to the tests you've seen. Thanks!

Back