SN-Plus VS Dexos1-GEN2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted by Solarent
The 2.0L Ecoboost is the same engine in the Sequence IX.

Thanks...do you know if the actual LSPI tests are similar between SN+ and the -B1s?

That's what I was wondering. Will all these sn+ oils meet the ford -B1 spec? All of the "conventional" oils from supertech, chevron, etc meet sn+.

Thank you Solarent for the prompt link to this vital podcast.

From Part I...
SN+/D1G2 >> SN/D1/G1.
It is eye opening to learn how important the changes are for insurance against LSPI.

From Part II...
The culprit is the combination of small amounts of motor oil, with unburned fuel mixed in, in the crevice volume (between the first ringland and the top piston ring,) along with piston deposits.
LSPI is complex, as stated, but there is also greater specificity here.

It sure sounds like there is a direct correlation between fuel dilution and LSPI.
My maintenance plan with a boosted GDI engine would surely involve the cheapest SN+ oil, Chevron Supreme comes to mind, and OCIs which are quite short, 3k miles !!
Also, I glean that recommended viscosity should be used over going thicker and extending OCis. JMO.

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection

From Part I...
SN+/D1G2 >> SN/D1/G1.
It is eye opening to learn how important the changes are for insurance against LSPI.

From Part II...
The culprit is the combination of small amounts of motor oil, with unburned fuel mixed in, in the crevice volume (between the first ringland and the top piston ring,) along with piston deposits.

It sure sounds like there is a direct correlation between fuel dilution and LSPI.
My maintenance plan with a boosted GDI engine would surely involve the cheapest SN+ oil, Chevron Supreme comes to mind, and OCIs which are quite short, 3k miles !!
Also, I glean that recommended viscosity should be used over going thicker and extending OCis. JMO.

I'm using Chevron Supreme 5w30 SN+ and doing short oil changes (4,000 miles) in my 2016 Fusion 2.0, with a Motorcraft oil filter it's like $17 total.

A short interval with either will smash the other one assuming a long interval. Ise a stable weight oil like 5w20, even better.

Originally Posted by weasley
Originally Posted by OilUzer
Didn't some experts say in Europe they don't have/use d1g2 or d2 and they have no lspi issues?
I think they use thicker and/or higher hths oil!

On the contrary - GM brands here issued a service bulletin a while back requiring certain gasoline-engined cars to use dexos1g2 to mitigate LSPI. This was slightly inconvenient as most oils here were dexos2, with few d1g2 options available.

VERY interesting info...thank you!
I have been guessing that we haven't heard much about problems with DIT engines using A3/B4 oils because of the higher ZDDP levels, as that additive is a strong LSPI quencher...but that it is only a guess.

a3/b4 oils have higher hths as well.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

I have been guessing that we haven't heard much about problems with DIT engines using A3/B4 oils because of the higher ZDDP levels, as that additive is a strong LSPI quencher...but that it is only a guess.

Are all the A3/B4 oils low Calcium (-1100) and high Magnesium (+500)?

I have seen a number of VOAs for M1 0W40 FS A3/B4 and they have all been very high in calcium (maybe 2800 ppm) and had little magnesium. I believe the M1 0W40 formulation before that was similar.
I think Castrol 0W40 A3/B4 is quite a bit lower than M1 in calcium but I'm not completely sure of that.

There was a summary of oil additive effects on LSPI from one of the additive makers (Infineum??) that showed a plot with the occurrence of LSPI really plummeting as the ZDDP concentration was swept not far beyond the typical SN/GF5 levels...I actually bought a bottle of Rislone ZDDP additive and was adding a bit at every change before d1G2 came along! Yes, I know I'm ridiculous...

Yes, I recall those plots, and I think it was Infineum. They showed that LSPI events increased linearly with increasing Ca add, hence the SN+ and D1G2 move to replace some Ca with Mg detergent. To decrease Ca levels for the same final TBN.

However they also showed that LSPI events decreased exponentially with increasing ZDDP, it was a powerful quencher of LSPI.

Most Euro A3/B4 oils that I know still have a full Ca detergent package with no or little Mg. However A3/B4 oils don't have a restriction on their upper Phos (and therefore ZDDP) levels, while ILSAC-SN oils do have an upper limit imposed. Most SN / SN+ and GF-5 oils have about 700 ppm ZDDP while a typical A3/B4 Euro oil will have about 1000 ppm ZDDP. Recall a non-GF5 viscosity grade, like 5W40 has no restriction and so can be SN & A3/B4, it's the thinner grades that are restricted.

I think when Europe was running full-SAPS A3/B4 oils with high ZDDP levels, they had no LSPI issues even with full Ca detergent packages. But recently they have moved to mid-SAPS C3 oils (like Dexos2) for both petrol (gas) and Diesel engines. This is probably where the problem with LSPI in Europe started as a C3 oil is restricted in the upper level of Sulphated Ash (SA%) permitted, and given that ZDDP adds to the SA% they tend to make Euro C3 oils with the same ZDDP levels as American GF-5 oils, but without swapping out some Ca for Mg and hence the start of seeing LSPI in Europe.

Originally Posted by OilUzer

a3/b4 oils have higher hths as well.

Both ACEA A3/B4 and ACEA C3 are high HTHS oils (>= 3.5 cP) they differ in their SAPS level (SA%).
A Dexos2 oil is also a C3 oil (mid-SAPS), but can't be an A3/B4 oil (high-SAPS).

A GF-5 or D1G2 oil is a low HTHS oil.

So why are all the oil companies pushing low Calcium and high Magnesium oils these days for GDI / TGDI / lspi Engines. Wait - it's because we use thin oil in this country. Check all the owners manuals in the past decade for verification of that.

So find out what 0W16 / 0W20 / 5W20 / 5W30 oils have a good amount of ZDDP and problem solved. Then be sure to check the labels of these oils, for another verification that says SN Plus and Dexos1Gen2.

I side with the automakers USA specs. Those are Dexos/SN Plus currently. Most-all prior owners manuals have older specs than what's current. But store shelves will catch-up with new specs in little time thereafter.

You can side with high ZDDP in your GDI / TGDI / lspi machines. I like my chances of lower maintenance better than yours, using the latest specs intended for USA vehicles / USA fuel..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Corollaman
Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection

From Part I...
SN+/D1G2 >> SN/D1/G1.

From Part II...

I'm using Chevron Supreme 5w30 SN+ and doing short oil changes (4,000 miles) in my 2016 Fusion 2.0, with a Motorcraft oil filter it's like $17 total.

Nice !
A vastly overlooked motor oil.
Chevron Supreme
SN+.
Hydrocracked.
Synthetic Blend.
Turbo rated.
$2.27/qt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back