Small form-factor, bare-bone PC recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a small form factor, "bare bones" PC recommendation for general home use running Windows 10. The PC will never be used for gaming. I'm hoping to find a manufacturer that has a (hopefully) modular design so if any of the parts fail, they might be able to be replaced.

I like the look of the ASRock DeskMini 110 Series (https://bit.ly/2SwvgrG) but I'm open to suggestions.

Ed

you can get cheap but HP laptops at wallys + others, $250 for a decent one with 15.4 screen!

Lenovo M73 and M93. They have removeable RAM, CPU, Hard Drive, HeatSink, wireless card, and Fan... Here is mine, it's a 4th Gen i5 with 8GB RAM and a 240GB SSD. I got it for $25 off lease. We had 16 come back and employees grabbed them up in less than an hour.
[Linked Image]

The one Quattro Pete linked is nearly identical to the one I just posted. That's a pretty good deal with an SSD and 8GB RAM already installed plus windows 10 license baked in. Check ebay as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
^^^^

That how my work desktop computer looks like.

It's what most hospitals have gone to in my experience.

I've got an Optiplex 9020M, it's in my "saved from the scrap heap" thread. It's nice and snappy with Ubuntu on it. I put a 120gb SSD and 16gb of ram in it.

Every Dell refurbished I have bought from their Refurb website ($99 - $129) has worked flawlessly. The 2003 on Windows XP and the 2009 on Windows 7 both perform without a hitch.

I am Very, VERY pleased with Dell Refurbished computers!

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
^^^^

Same with the school district my roommate manages, all their desktops are now mini dell PCs. I tried one out for my company but I disliked the laptop components and price without the portability and flexibility.

Originally Posted by Pew
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
^^^^

Same with the school district my roommate manages, all their desktops are now mini dell PCs. I tried one out for my company but I disliked the laptop components and price without the portability and flexibility.

The attraction is the footprint of an AIO without the lack of serviceability. For example, the Lenovo ones are two thumb screws and you can swap out the entire computer from the screen, or the reverse if the screen fails. So you get the advantage of little wiring and no under desk CPU bracket; an AIO form factor, but with the ability to swap out the computer or the screen if needed.

Originally Posted by Ed_Flecko
Originally Posted by atikovi
The Dell Optiplex line has a micro form factor that takes up little desk space. https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/sho...70-micro-desktop/spd/optiplex-3070-micro

They look good, but I don't need the OS included.

Ed

Look on Dell's site for an Optiplex without an operating system. I see them once in a while. I really like my Optiplex 7010 SFF that I purchased from Dell four years ago.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Originally Posted by Ed_Flecko
Originally Posted by atikovi
The Dell Optiplex line has a micro form factor that takes up little desk space. https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/sho...70-micro-desktop/spd/optiplex-3070-micro

They look good, but I don't need the OS included.

Ed

Look on Dell's site for an Optiplex without an operating system. I see them once in a while. I really like my Optiplex 7010 SFF that I purchased from Dell four years ago.

How do you run a computer without the operating system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back