Sludge cleanup MMO experience + 25% MPG, no kidding

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a long thread on my sludge and oil pressure light experience with a 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero Convertible with 2.8 turbo High Feature GM engine (VVT)

After many helpful recommendations I went with 1 very short (500 miles) Mobil 1 ESP OIC and a second with increasing levels of MMO until 1 QT to 5 Qts now on my second 1000 miles. I wanted to gently clean my engine as to not cause anymore issues with loosened sludge.

I want to report that I no longer see any black on the Dip stick.

I also want to report a 25% increase in mileage . Seriously. I drove two back-to-back 225 mile all highway non-stop trips (450) at 78 MPH. was getting 23 MPG routinely on the same trip and now at 29. Not snake oil for sure but I had a specific problem of sludge to address. The car is a VVT so maybe sludge affected the timing by fouling the VVT solenoids.

The car did seem to be running rich before (smelled gas before) and I do not seem to smell any more at this time.

I think I will continue with a full OCI to 5K miles and do a change with HDOE synthetic diesel like valvoline premium blue 5W-40 ( car calls for 0W-30)

So far so good....

So M1 for 500 miles works just as well as MMO? I am using MMO and cheap synthetic 1:5 now. I only used M1 for ~500 miles, dumped it added cheap syn (Walmart super tech) and MMO. Would cheap synthetic by itself work just as well?

Originally Posted by jssaab
After a long thread on my sludge and oil pressure light experience with a 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero Convertible with 2.8 turbo High Feature GM engine (VVT)

After many helpful recommendations I went with 1 very short (500 miles) Mobil 1 ESP OIC and a second with increasing levels of MMO until 1 QT to 5 Qts now on my second 1000 miles. I wanted to gently clean my engine as to not cause anymore issues with loosened sludge.

I want to report that I no longer see any black on the Dip stick.

I also want to report a 25% increase in mileage . Seriously. I drove two back-to-back 225 mile all highway non-stop trips (450) at 78 MPH. was getting 23 MPG routinely on the same trip and now at 29. Not snake oil for sure but I had a specific problem of sludge to address. The car is a VVT so maybe sludge affected the timing by fouling the VVT solenoids.

The car did seem to be running rich before (smelled gas before) and I do not seem to smell any more at this time.

I think I will continue with a full OCI to 5K miles and do a change with HDOE synthetic diesel like valvoline premium blue 5W-40 ( car calls for 0W-30)

So far so good....

You need to type all that (above quote) at the MMO website Reviews webpage. They may issue you a Gold Star for such a positive Review.
...... or at-the-very-least send you a free bottle of MMO.

Type in Kreen or Rislone and see if that changes the replies..........lol j/k Too late................

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

You need to type all that (above quote) at the MMO website Reviews webpage. They may issue you a Gold Star for such a positive Review.
...... or at-the-very-least send you a free bottle of MMO.

All I wanted to do is de-sludge my engine, safely, quickly and cheaply. I couldn't pull the pan without taking out the engine. I would usually do a manual clean and soak. Didn't have time to do multiple oil changes.

I used MMO once before on a 1986 Saab with a sludged engine ( old man did 10K oil changes with dino oil drove it only 5000 a year over 10 years so only did 5 changes. I did multiple oil changes with Synthetic to clean it out and it developed a rod knock. Put MMO in and it silenced the knock, drove it to the Saab dealer and traded it.

Worked then i figured might as well give it a shot, no harm done it seems

All I wanted to do is de-sludge my engine, safely, quickly and cheaply.

Yes..... and all you guys are beating him up for simply reporting his observations.

Why can't you just accept his statement for what it is?

I concur with your observation.

Trav mentioned using a small amount of Kreen monthly to clean the sludge. I was planning that if I didn't see improvement with MMO, changing the filter every couple of months. Nowadays, I use 4-6oz Kreen 300miles before OCI.

Originally Posted by Linctex

Yes..... and all you guys are beating him up for simply reporting his observations.

Exactly! Had he mentioned Kreen or Rislone, I'd be willing to bet the replies would have been different, perhaps more positive in tone.

Get out of here with your common sense!
lol.gif

The CarTalk guys said filling the crankcase with diesel has worked for some people to de-sludge an engine. Now it never worked for them and trashed the engines they tried it in. But that no reason not to try is it? You could be lucky!

I use the Nissans in my signature as guinea pigs for any and all additive experiments. After reading this I gave both 2 glugs of MMO in the gas. Maybe it will survive combustion long enough to clean the piston tops. or maybe lube the injectors.

There's an old Richard Feynman quote about extraordinary claims requiring extraordinary evidence.
That likely applies here.
It's a tough row to hoe to state something along the lines of 'Product X increased my gas mileage by 25% with just one use. I'm not sure how but I just wanted to pass the message.'

If you state these sorts of extraordinary claims, bring some extraordinary proof. You'll likely get a warmer reception.
And maybe introduce an amazing product.

Why are so many people simply willing to click on links that claim to "follow this one simple trick to lose belly fat" these days?

What the OP is claiming cannot simply be attributed to MMO. For us to believe this would be foolish. For us to question this and ask for more information or to simply point out the other variables (e.g., M1) is prudent. Besides, the whole point of the etherwebs is to join us nerds together in conversation and debate, not to pat each other on back for everything we do in life.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
I wonder if kerosene in the same amount of ounces would have given the same results.

I was advised about Kero probably doing the same thing. The problem is you need to buy a gallon ($8 at Walmart or 4 dollars from th station andyou need a can (which I don;t have) and I have no where to store it. I only needed one quart, and for 4 bucks it didn;t break the bank.

Originally Posted by Donald
The CarTalk guys said filling the crankcase with diesel has worked for some people to de-sludge an engine. Now it never worked for them and trashed the engines they tried it in. But that no reason not to try is it? You could be lucky!

That sounds pretty radical, I only wanted to gently dilute the sludge with a simple cleaner. I think this suggestion is a bit stoopid, it sounds a bit aggressive and would damage your seals but thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
I use the Nissans in my signature as guinea pigs for any and all additive experiments. After reading this I gave both 2 glugs of MMO in the gas. Maybe it will survive combustion long enough to clean the piston tops. or maybe lube the injectors.

Good gas already has detergent additives, no need to use anything in the tank unless maybe its been run on the cheap stuff of a long time and you notice lack of performance or carbon on the valves, but if so I would use techron, it is what gives chevron cleaning power . I think that was a pretty stoopid idea, but do report back if you see any changes.

Originally Posted by Imp4
There's an old Richard Feynman quote about extraordinary claims requiring extraordinary evidence.
That likely applies here.
It's a tough row to hoe to state something along the lines of 'Product X increased my gas mileage by 25% with just one use. I'm not sure how but I just wanted to pass the message.'

If you state these sorts of extraordinary claims, bring some extraordinary proof. You'll likely get a warmer reception.
And maybe introduce an amazing product.

It is what it is.

Originally Posted by gathermewool

Why are so many people simply willing to click on links that claim to "follow this one simple trick to lose belly fat" these days?

What the OP is claiming cannot simply be attributed to MMO. For us to believe this would be foolish. For us to question this and ask for more information or to simply point out the other variables (e.g., M1) is prudent. Besides, the whole point of the etherwebs is to join us nerds together in conversation and debate, not to pat each other on back for everything we do in life.

My sludged engine got 22-23 reliably on the same drive now it is where it should be, 28 on the highway ( no better, just back to where it should be.) I changed one variable, I added MMO. (temperature the same, drive is the same, I have not lost any weight (but trying), the air in tires not touched.(if anything less since I have not checked and air only leaks does not build at the same temperature (le Chatlier's principle - since you quoted Feynman) The only way to check it would be to let the engine sludge again and see if the mileage goes back down and repeat. Not trying to prove anything, just reporting an observation or as Feynman woudl also say, "The idea is to try to give all the information to help others to judge the value of your contribution; not just the information that leads to judgment in one particular direction or another."

I think my theory about the VVT solenoids could be the reason, but whatever,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back