Slow Dosage of Intake Cleaner in GDI Engines

I have not been able to find any topic pertaining to this on the site but please excuse me if this is a duplicate posting.

I remember years ago there was a system that slowly injected water into the engine using engine vacuum to slowly bubble water and pull vapor into the engine. This got me to thinking about a system that might allow for the very slow bleed of a solution of intake valve cleaner to do the same thing on GDI engines to prevent crud build up on the intake valves. Has anyone ever tried this? My thinking was something like a PEA cleaner diluted with a solvent like MMO
(or any other compatible combustible solvent of your choice) slowly pulled through the system. Perhaps a usage rate of 100 mls per 500 miles or so (all depends on the strenght of the solution). An easy to refill bottle would be the ideal container for such a solution with the injection mechanism as part of the lid.

Thoughts, please!

I like the idea, but i see a problem with dry flow intakes. If it pools anywhere, and you step on the gas, you could slug (hydolock) the cylinder. Also you would have to have some way for it not to vaporize( either into the intake or the atmosphere) when the engine is parked but hot.

I think it would have to be more of an attachment that you use on say a 20 mile drive before an oci, not a continuous system.

Last edited:
Pretty cool thread...often wondered if there were aftermarket alternatives available to help with carbon buildup...looks like there's a few.

Anyone ever actually use one? How did it work out? And what is the solution being used? Water? A mixture of water and something else?

Originally Posted by incognito_2u
It was called a "Top-end Oiler"........made as a dispenser for MMO.
I think they are still made.

AKA an Inverse Oiler.

my solution is buy NOTHING with DI. some manufacturers are using both + you are the beta tester!!! new tech is NOT always better IMO!!

Here's the water injection system I grew up with:

https://www.ebay.com/i/142905208308?rt=nc&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3D9824e03c216a4ad9b1c1a14152b72572%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D173912216662%26itm%3D142905208308%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2386202

Originally Posted by Mainia
Better designed product.

https://www.flashlube.com/en/products/electronic-valve-saver-kit-series-2.html

https://www.flashlube.com/en/products/valve-saver-kit.html
That's exactly what the op wants, lol.

Originally Posted by Sunnyinhollister
Here's the water injection system I grew up with:

https://www.ebay.com/i/142905208308?rt=nc&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3D9824e03c216a4ad9b1c1a14152b72572%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D173912216662%26itm%3D142905208308%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2386202
The box art on that, lol. Good thread!

My thought... just one more thing to break/go wrong. Get a can of Regane IVC spray or this..👇. It's got a mix of solvents w/PEA.
[Linked Image]

Isn't there a general caution about using products like this with turbocharged engines like the OP's? I thought the concern was carbon bits breaking off and potentially damaging the turbocharger exhaust gases are powering.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
My thought... just one more thing to break/go wrong. Get a can of Regane IVC spray or this..👇. It's got a mix of solvents w/PEA.
[Linked Image]

This might work. Unless it has PEA its not going to doing anything.

Originally Posted by Danh
Isn't there a general caution about using products like this with turbocharged engines like the OP's? I thought the concern was carbon bits breaking off and potentially damaging the turbocharger exhaust gases are powering.

There's that and I would imagine every can or bottle of goodness you suck up the intake takes a bit of life off the catalytic converters.

Even so, this topic is on my mind given our 2019 Nissan Pathfinder has a DI 3.5L in it. A design that's only been been on the road since 2017.

Originally Posted by Marco620

This might work. Unless it has PEA its not going to doing anything.

This product contains both PEA and solvents. And contrary to your post, hitting the IVs with a solvent has a cleaning effect on carbon deposits. Obviously stronger solvents work better/faster.

I personally haven't used this induction approach as it's not cheap. I think it's around $25 but you can reuse the hardware and just need to buy the cleaner thereafter. I usually just spray a can of Berrymans or put some MMO (has Stoddard solvent and I always have it around) in an old vegetable oil spray bottle I have and spray it directly into the intake hitting both the TB and IV's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by benjy
my solution is buy NOTHING with DI. some manufacturers are using both + you are the beta tester!!! new tech is NOT always better IMO!!

Guess you won't be buying any new cars.

There are so many things to worry about than whether or not your valves will carbon up. I always buy a discounted extended warranty =- I could care less. Life is just to darn short.

Some of those Extended Warranties have the darndest deductibles. Sometimes paying the deductive is more money than having the dealer clean the Intake professionally.

What's your deductible Al and how long do you keep those vehicle? You don't seem to be a first and last owner.
Birth to death with me and I have never taken-out an extended warranty and never kept a vehicle since the 1970s shorter term than 17 years. Usually rust kills my vehicles. Hoping to get 20 years out of my 04' Colorado. For it has only one small rust spot showing.

Back