Skyactiv-G Cylinder Deactivation

Originally Posted by painfx
Originally Posted by PimTac
But you are focusing on something that likely will not be a problem. It's one thing if you research a car that has a history of a certain problem.

Lots of owners have turbos or CD or GDI or you name it with no issues. A lot of it pertains to how well you take care of the car, maintain it properly, and drive it sensibly.

In any case, it's your decision. We cannot make it for you.

I am just being cautious. I know lots of people love the Skyactiv G engines. I do too, however since there is a recall for the cylinder deactivation. Vehicles have cylinder deactivstion will soon haveoil burning problems, wear and etc...

It is not just Mazda, other brands have this problem too. Many people wants to disable it. On the Honda Odyssey I know you can disable it, but on thr CX5 doesnt seem like you can do it.

When it shuts off 2 cylinders when cruising, the engine mounts absorbs the vibration. Over time the bushing wears out, the vibration will be prominent.

You have a CX5 too right? What year is it and how many miles it has already?

I have a 2017. It only has 13,000 on it since I don't drive all that much. Hopefully it won't happen but if I had to get another vehicle tomorrow I would buy another one. This one has been perfect so far. Would I worry about CD or the turbo? Nope.

Now I agree that simplicity is better but that seems to be less and less these days. With all the tech built into today's cars simplicity is pretty much gone.

I have a 2019 CX5 Grand Touring 2.5 NA. This car was built after the Cylinder Deactivation programing issue.
I have never felt it. In the 10 months I have had it I can't say it even works. There is no way to disable it and yes
it will not function in sport mode but sport mode is really just like shifting to a lower gear. Go down the road at 2000 rpm shift to sport mode and now you go down the road at 3000 rpm.
In all the time I have had it I've only used sport mode once or twice, its nothing special.
My CX5 has not burning any oil that I know of. Most recent trip was 1300 miles fully loaded with the A/C running the CX5 got 32.4 mpg.
That was according to the cars read out..I don't really care very much about gas mileage.
I don't see this car cruising down the road on just 2 cylinders.

I like mine...don't know what else to say.

But you are focusing on something that likely will not be a problem. It's one thing if you research a car that has a history of a certain problem.

Lots of owners have turbos or CD or GDI or you name it with no issues. A lot of it pertains to how well you take care of the car, maintain it properly, and drive it sensibly.

In any case, it's your decision. We cannot make it for you.

I am just being cautious. I know lots of people love the Skyactiv G engines. I do too, however since there is a recall for the cylinder deactivation. Vehicles have cylinder deactivstion will soon haveoil burning problems, wear and etc...

It is not just Mazda, other brands have this problem too. Many people wants to disable it. On the Honda Odyssey I know you can disable it, but on thr CX5 doesnt seem like you can do it.

When it shuts off 2 cylinders when cruising, the engine mounts absorbs the vibration. Over time the bushing wears out, the vibration will be prominent.

You have a CX5 too right? What year is it and how many miles it has already?

I have a 2017. It only has 13,000 on it since I don't drive all that much. Hopefully it won't happen but if I had to get another vehicle tomorrow I would buy another one. This one has been perfect so far. Would I worry about CD or the turbo? Nope.

Now I agree that simplicity is better but that seems to be less and less these days. With all the tech built into today's cars simplicity is pretty much gone.

Your vehicle has low miles so it is hard to judge. But I dont think yours have the cylinder deactivation.

Originally Posted by Reggaemon
I have a 2019 CX5 Grand Touring 2.5 NA. This car was built after the Cylinder Deactivation programing issue.
I have never felt it. In the 10 months I have had it I can't say it even works. There is no way to disable it and yes
it will not function in sport mode but sport mode is really just like shifting to a lower gear. Go down the road at 2000 rpm shift to sport mode and now you go down the road at 3000 rpm.
In all the time I have had it I've only used sport mode once or twice, its nothing special.
My CX5 has not burning any oil that I know of. Most recent trip was 1300 miles fully loaded with the A/C running the CX5 got 32.4 mpg.
That was according to the cars read out..I don't really care very much about gas mileage.
I don't see this car cruising down the road on just 2 cylinders.

I like mine...don't know what else to say.

How many miles do you have on your vehicle?

Originally Posted by Ws6

I do want the CX5, however, I dont like the cylinder deativation.

Then either you have to buy a 2017, or upgrade to the GT-R or Signature with the turbo. The turbo models are a TON of fun compared to the NA models, and literally feel like a different class of vehicle. I understand if it's a money thing, but if the few thousand extra in cost isn't a deterrent, I wouldn't even look at the base CX5s.

I am Not looking to get a turbo.

Originally Posted by Ws6

I do want the CX5, however, I dont like the cylinder deativation.

Then either you have to buy a 2017, or upgrade to the GT-R or Signature with the turbo. The turbo models are a TON of fun compared to the NA models, and literally feel like a different class of vehicle. I understand if it's a money thing, but if the few thousand extra in cost isn't a deterrent, I wouldn't even look at the base CX5s.

But he doesn't want the turbo and you just made that point to me. 🙄

If one is firmly decided on not getting vehicles that have these kinds of mechanics or features then they will be severely limiting themselves in the market. If the vehicle meets the needs you are looking for and fits you as the driver then worrying about GDI or CD or whatever will drive you crazy.

There has not been widespread problems with the Mazda system. Take one for a test drive and decide for yourself.

Test driving the vehicle does not really tell much about the future problems.

There are no "future problems" for a turbo Mazda 2.5L SA engine that anyone has ever been made aware of. They have been out for almost half a decade, and vehicles with hundreds of thousands of miles on them exist in good health.

Mine is a 2019, and I have 42K miles on it. Still very low miles, but absolutely narry a complaint about the powertrain other than I wish it were faster (I say this about every vehicle I've had, including those north of 500hp).

[/quote]

There are no "future problems" for a turbo Mazda 2.5L SA engine that anyone has ever been made aware of.[/quote]

Are you the man from the future? How do you know there will not be any problems?
smile.gif

There are no "future problems" for a turbo Mazda 2.5L SA engine that anyone has ever been made aware of.

Are you the man from the future? How do you know there will not be any problems?
smile.gif

Because it's been around for half a decade and no issues have arisen, yet. That's about as good as it gets in the automotive world unless you want to buy 10 year old vehicles.

Just a quick note folks.

When your posting to a topic, there is no need to quote the post before yours.

We are all able to remember the posts that came before.

Quoting 5 posts to add one sentence adds clutter and makes it harder to follow.

My 2007 Ram 1500 has cylinder deactivation on its 5.7 hemi with 216k miles. Never feel it and on cruising the highway it gets 23mpg. Uses no oil between changes. 4 door cab model. My sistet has a 14' CX5. It only has a 2.0 Skyactive and is getting 34mpg on the highway and is very comfortable. Not over powerful but a very responsive auto trans makes up for the lower power output. I a;so have a Mazda 5 with the 2.5L and that sucker flies.

Back