Skyactiv-G Cylinder Deactivation

I am not a fan of Cylinder Deactivation. I was planning to get a Mazda CX-5 2.5L NA until I found out it has the Cylinder Deactivation technology. Anyone here that has one would like to share their experiences? Is it noticeable? Does it burns oil because of it? Is there anyway to deactivate it?

Thanks

I have a 3 with it. It's imperceptible while driving. Other people claim they feel it and claim it's clunky. I have not experienced that at all with mine.

Placing the trans in "sport" turns it off, I believe.

Originally Posted by painfx
I am not a fan of Cylinder Deactivation. I was planning to get a Mazda CX-5 2.5L NA until I found out it has the Cylinder Deactivation technology. Anyone here that has one would like to share their experiences? Is it noticeable? Does it burns oil because of it? Is there anyway to deactivate it?

Thanks

I hear that it is imperceptible. It only activates in light cruise operations. It does not burn oil. There is no way to deactivate it as far as I know.

The turbo model does not have it but then you are swapping one complication for another.

The key is regular oil changes. The people that have troubles with these systems are likely lax in the maintenance of the car too.

Thanks for the video. Honestly, that seems to be one of the more intelligent ways to de-activate the valves. Using the hydraulic lifter seems like it would last a lot longer, with less issues, than sliding cam lobes, etc.

Mazda's new Skyactive-X engine looks great as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac

Thanks

I hear that it is imperceptible. It only activates in light cruise operations. It does not burn oil. There is no way to deactivate it as far as I know.

The turbo model does not have it but then you are swapping one complication for another.

The key is regular oil changes. The people that have troubles with these systems are likely lax in the maintenance of the car too.

The turbo model doesnt have any "complications". The cylinder DoD models though have had rocker arms fall off and needed reprogramming to prevent it, and long term, who knows?

As far as I know the CX30 has cylinder deactivation ONLY on the very top trim, just step down 1 level and it's not there.
This Cyl Deact could be a royal PITA

Correct only the premium trim level of the CX 30 has cylinder deactivation. That is why I went with the select trim level, which does not have it. But it may be ok I just felt it was unnecessary.

Originally Posted by cpayne5
I have a 3 with it. It's imperceptible while driving. Other people claim they feel it and claim it's clunky. I have not experienced that at all with mine.

I read some are stating they can feel it vibrate also when stepping on the throttle for more power it would feel sluggish. This is on the Mazda247 forum.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Then look at the new CX 30 I don't believe it has cylinder deactivation.

You are right. Only the Premium model has it. The ones below the Premium model does not have it. Which I don't understand why and how since they are using the same SkyActiv-G engine.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Just get the turbo model. Better in every way, imo. It's a 3700# SUV. It needs more than div>

Not interested in a turbo. I would have gotten the RDX if I wanted a turbo.

Thanks

There are recalls for MY 2018-2019 problems with the cylinder deactivation. Not sure in the future if it will have problems.

Originally Posted by buster
Correct only the premium trim level of the CX 30 has cylinder deactivation. That is why I went with the select trim level, which does not have it. But it may be ok I just felt it was unnecessary.

I kinda want the Cx-5 because it is bigger than the CX30.

I read some are stating they can feel it vibrate also when stepping on the throttle for more power it would feel sluggish. This is on the Mazda247 forum.

You are right. Only the Premium model has it. The ones below the Premium model does not have it. Which I don't understand why and how since they are using the same SkyActiv-G engine.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Just get the turbo model. Better in every way, imo. It's a 3700# SUV. It needs more than div>

Thanks

There are recalls for MY 2018-2019 problems with the cylinder deactivation. Not sure in the future if it will have problems.

I think the cx5 is a better powertrain than the RDX, but that's beside the point. I'd just buy the cx5 if you want one. They've mostly ironed it out it seems.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Originally Posted by Ws6

Thanks

I think the cx5 is a better powertrain than the RDX, but that's beside the point. I'd just buy the cx5 if you want one. They've mostly ironed it out it seems.

I do want the CX5, however, I dont like the cylinder deativation.

The way around that is to get the turbo SkyActiv.

OP doesn't want a turbo for whatever reason though, so they are stuck with the baser models with deactivation in the CX5 line-up.

Then either you have to buy a 2017, or upgrade to the GT-R or Signature with the turbo. The turbo models are a TON of fun compared to the NA models, and literally feel like a different class of vehicle. I understand if it's a money thing, but if the few thousand extra in cost isn't a deterrent, I wouldn't even look at the base CX5s.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Then either you have to buy a 2017, or upgrade to the GT-R or Signature with the turbo. The turbo models are a TON of fun compared to the NA models, and literally feel like a different class of vehicle. I understand if it's a money thing, but if the few thousand extra in cost isn't a deterrent, I wouldn't even look at the base CX5s.

But he doesn't want the turbo and you just made that point to me. 🙄

If one is firmly decided on not getting vehicles that have these kinds of mechanics or features then they will be severely limiting themselves in the market. If the vehicle meets the needs you are looking for and fits you as the driver then worrying about GDI or CD or whatever will drive you crazy.

There has not been widespread problems with the Mazda system. Take one for a test drive and decide for yourself.

Originally Posted by Ws6

I am Not looking to get a turbo.

Originally Posted by Ws6

But he doesn't want the turbo and you just made that point to me. 🙄

If one is firmly decided on not getting vehicles that have these kinds of mechanics or features then they will be severely limiting themselves in the market. If the vehicle meets the needs you are looking for and fits you as the driver then worrying about GDI or CD or whatever will drive you crazy.

There has not been widespread problems with the Mazda system. Take one for a test drive and decide for yourself.

Test driving the vehicle does not really tell much about the future problems.

But you are focusing on something that likely will not be a problem. It's one thing if you research a car that has a history of a certain problem.

Lots of owners have turbos or CD or GDI or you name it with no issues. A lot of it pertains to how well you take care of the car, maintain it properly, and drive it sensibly.

In any case, it's your decision. We cannot make it for you.

But you are focusing on something that likely will not be a problem. It's one thing if you research a car that has a history of a certain problem.

Lots of owners have turbos or CD or GDI or you name it with no issues. A lot of it pertains to how well you take care of the car, maintain it properly, and drive it sensibly.

In any case, it's your decision. We cannot make it for you.

I am just being cautious. I know lots of people love the Skyactiv G engines. I do too, however since there is a recall for the cylinder deactivation. Vehicles have cylinder deactivstion will soon haveoil burning problems, wear and etc...

It is not just Mazda, other brands have this problem too. Many people wants to disable it. On the Honda Odyssey I know you can disable it, but on thr CX5 doesnt seem like you can do it.

When it shuts off 2 cylinders when cruising, the engine mounts absorbs the vibration. Over time the bushing wears out, the vibration will be prominent.

You have a CX5 too right? What year is it and how many miles it has already?

Back