Skyactiv Engine oil filter: WIX 57002 or Mazda OE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

I have a 2016 Mazda 3 with the 2.0 skyactiv engine. My local dealer only sells Mazda 1WPE-14-302, which is the one that's made in Thailand. I can get the wix 57002 the same price as the OE filter. Which one should I use, will the WIX better than the OE? My OCI is 8-9k km and mostly using Pennzoil platinum 0w/5w20. I'm only looking for filters that's designed for the skyactiv engines.

If your vehicle is registered in Canada and you are still under warranty (basic or powertain) then you should use the OEM filter. You do not have the same (theoretical) legal protections when using aftermarket parts during warranty as those of us living south of the border. Outside of warranty, both are very good filters,and will do the job equally well so you can confidently use whichever is cheaper. I'm personally a fan of WIX, even their cheapest products such basic ones made for store brands and shop jobbers for quick lubes are well built but again Mazda filters and oil are better then many of the OEM's.

Wix will be fine
smile.gif

Originally Posted by GZRider
If your vehicle is registered in Canada and you are still under warranty (basic or powertain) then you should use the OEM filter. You do not have the same (theoretical) legal protections when using aftermarket parts during warranty as those of us living south of the border. Outside of warranty, both are very good filters,and will do the job equally well so you can confidently use whichever is cheaper. I'm personally a fan of WIX, even their cheapest products such basic ones made for store brands and shop jobbers for quick lubes are well built but again Mazda filters and oil are better then many of the OEM's.

I cannot tell if what you say is true or false, but what I like to point out is that the laws outside of the USA regarding maintenance parts may not be the same as in the USA. Most but not all West Euro countries are the same as the USA, but there are some notable exceptions- I think Netherlands is one. I ran into this with computer / telecom equipment a while back.

Ive been ordering the Thailand-made Mazda filter from Amazon. They appear well built. The Wix 57002 that I bought locally had the louvers in the center tube not open enough for my comfort. I ended up returning them.

Last edited:
A post above includes, "...Wix 57002...had the louvers in the center tube not open enough...".

I ran to my stash and checked my 57002 and found it has round holes not louvers in the center tube.

What are we to make of that?

EASY, as I've been telling you (without any facts-just like many here) these things are made in batches. The materials will vary.

This goes for the filtering media, base plates, springs...likely even the can thickness. God help us.

Originally Posted by GimmeTorq
Ive been ordering the Thailand-made Mazda filter from Amazon. They appear well built. The Wix 57002 that I bought locally had the louvers in the center tube not open enough for my comfort. I ended up returning them.

Whomever started this "Louver not open enough" silliness should be "spanked" . I'm sure any flow calculation would show the centertubes flow capability multiple times that of he preceding media.

But whatever makes you comfortable. Just don't say they are "not open enough" Say they are "Not open enough for ME"

Now I have to get back to writing more posts about how I hate Thailand Denso Toyota filters .....

Last edited:
The Wix 57002 does not have all the bells and whistles as a normal Wix. They copied the OEM specs and is made in the Mexico Wix plant. I am going to buy a new Miata and researched filters. Found a source for Tokyo Rei made filters for 8+ bucks and the Thailand filters for 6+ bucks. Actually I like the Thailand filters (your source is same) since Mazda has changed over to that version and i would not try to second guess why. The Wix has been around longer than Mazda's latest filter version.

You want the right filter for the job? Get the dealer filter. Theres too many things unknown about the aftermarket filters. I trust wix but I use a dealer oil filter on my mazda. I just cant bring myself to use the 57002 I have sitting in my inventory;

In my opinion the louver issue is overblown. In many cases the louvers are directional which means one will see some open and some closed depending on the viewing angle.

Originally Posted by Bill_W
The Wix 57002 does not have all the bells and whistles as a normal Wix. They copied the OEM specs and is made in the Mexico Wix plant. I am going to buy a new Miata and researched filters. Found a source for Tokyo Rei made filters for 8+ bucks and the Thailand filters for 6+ bucks. Actually I like the Thailand filters (your source is same) since Mazda has changed over to that version and i would not try to second guess why. The Wix has been around longer than Mazda's latest filter version.

You have a source for Japan made Tokyo Roki filters PE01 filters? I would like to know where.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Whichever one is cheaper. Nothing wrong with those Roki Thailand filters.

Originally Posted by GimmeTorq
Ive been ordering the Thailand-made Mazda filter from Amazon. They appear well built.

I agree... I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Whomever started this "Louver not open enough" silliness should be "spanked" . I'm sure any flow calculation would show the centertubes flow capability multiple times that of he preceding media.

Guess you have missed seeing many of the photos posted in this forum showing examples of nearly closed louvers. No thanks on that, I'll always inspect louvers before buying a filter. Choked down louvers will increase delta-p and make bypass valve events more prevelant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back