Silly Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a vehicle that has a startup tapping issue(characteristic of this model), but I would like to install a bypass filter as well.

The only place I can install a bypass filter is about6 ft. of hose away and about 12 inches higher than the stock filter.

I am considering putting in a very high flow primary filter such as a K&N to keep flow and pressure up and install a bypass to do most of the fine filtering.

My Question : Since the only place to install the bypass filter is so far away and since the top end of this engine needs fast oil pressure to keep it quiet..... I was wondering if anyone makes an "automatic pressure-set on/off valve" that I can install on the sandwich adapter before the primary filter that will stay closed (feeding the primary filter first and the upper drive train) until a certain pressure is attained and then the automatic valve can open above the set pressure and feed the 6 feet of hose to the bypass filter.

I hope my description makes sense? Does anyone know if someone makes such a 'valve/switch' that would work being screwed into the output side of the sandwich adapter.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

DEWFPO

You want a pre-oiler:
AutoEngineLube
Accusump

There are lots of these things out on the web, most designed for aircraft & boats. Have fun looking!

cheers.gif

[ March 04, 2004, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: Eiron ]

There is an incredable resistance to flow with a bypass filter especially with cold oil if the motor is in good shape there should be no problem with the bypass filter unless it is an Amsoil setup with the full flow and the bypass in the same unit , then there could be a problem ,I don't know.

steve could you please explain your comment on the amsoil bypass filters. i use the bmk-13 amsoil bypass filters. i think they work very well

I think you are getting too technical. I would install a filter that doesnt have a lot of air space inside the housing. I would install a orifice at the outlet of the sandwich adapter. The oil would hit the parts as soon as the full flow filter fills up. The orifice would let the bypass filter purge itself of the small amount of air after the engine pressures up. I have seen times when the pressure of the valve springs caused the oil to bleed out of the hydraulic lifters. The noise went away as soon as the lifters pumped up. It has nothing to do with the delay of the oil getting to the lifters.

Ralph
burnout.gif

steve s,my post was about your comment about the amsoil bypass fiters. not about the 12 feet of hose. the fiters are great, the location where he wants to mount it sounds bad.

Fred , Didn't say anything bad about Amsoil's bypass filters . To filter the bypass filters do have alot of resistance which is good. The bmk13 which moves the full flow filter 6 feet away may be a problem.

People who have a turbos, should look at the Turbosafe
http://www.dieselproducts.com/turbosafe/turbosafe.html

It performs prelubrication and turbo post lubrication. Or you could purchase 2 of the AutoEngineLube or Accusump and set up one for prelube and the other for post lube. Who knows, it might be cheaper going that route.

For a really inexpensive system, Ive been told that one can make one from the REUSABLE/REFILLABLE AEROSOL SPRAY CAN that Harbor freight tools sells. Replace the one way schrader valve with a 12 volt solenoid valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back