Shying Away From Havoline 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
You hear a rattling when you take a walk? That may not be oil related.

lol.gif
Indeed.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Mr_Luke
I just realized yesterday on my 4 mile brisk walk that this oil is causing the rattling I've been hearing.
It seemed fine when it was fresh oil, (quiet like it should be).

What?

I'm guessing loose screws.

This thread is a exercise in 🎻🚤🎣

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Yea. And how come they can't give a real temperature? "Wind Chill", "Feels Like". When I lived in WI I didn't care about wind chill. I dressed for the weather.

I agree. If it "feels like 19F" then isn't it "19F"?

I guess I must be odd because my 1996 2.0L Zetec Contour is quieter running a mix of 2 1/2 quarts of Havoline conventional and 2 quarts of Havoline synthetic, both 5W-20. Since new I've used 5W-30, 10W-30 and 5W-50 mainly synthetic oils. I did this mix because I had unwanted older oils left over and using them in an older vehicle that was back spec'd for 5W-20 anyway was ok. It's the quietest this vehicle has ever been. I don't drive the vehicle hard so I'm not worried about using modern 5W-20 oils.

Whimsey

Just kidding. I don't think the oil is making the engine rattle, but it's possible.

Yea I bought 29 jugs of Havoline ProDS on the O'Reillys closeout. 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30. My car sounds the same on this oil as it did on other oils.

I'm using the 5w30 and 10w30 in my Hyundai, and saving the 5w20 for when my wife's Outlander gets off of the free dealership changes. The Outlander specs 0w20 but I don't think here in Texas the difference will be noticeable.

I haven't done a UOA on this oil but I'm nearing 5000 miles on the Hyundai and I think a UOA sounds like a good idea. You all can wait on baited breath.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by PimTac
Arctic Blast. ...‚...‚

It used to be called winter. Happened every year. Now they have to call it something else to get everyone all tizzied up.

LOL yes its like everything on the Tube they have to sensationalize it because it all about ratings and how much you can charge for your advertising. It has nothing to do with the reality of life anymore. One of the reasons I hardly turn the tube on anymore little more than a source of lies and mis/dis information.

C'Mon, Man!

Record low temps for this time of year, and Winter doesn't start until just Before Christmas.

So, not fake news and not sensationalized. It was 13F at my House this morning. Way too cold for early November.

But being a hardy Pole-Scot mix mutt, I can deal with it
smile.gif

We now return you to your Car and Driver Magazine reading ....

I had a feeling some of you would misinterpret that, or see it as a chance to poke fun at someone, due to having nothing better to add to the conversation. .

Just kidding. I don't think the oil is making the engine rattle, but it's possible.

I do, and the difference between my conclusion and yours is the fact that I've driven the car and you haven't.

The Havoline 5w20 I drained out of it seemed very thin and watery. When I added it 4 weeks ago it seemed like normal 5w20 oil.
I have a good feeling about the QS and I should be OK with it.

Then I only added 3 quarts of QS and drove to the recycling center, then checked the oil there and then realized I only added 3 qts. The oil level came up to the round thing on the end of the dipstick, which is below where the running range oil level is. I could have gone in the store there and bought a quart of oil to add to it but I didn't. I went home (3 miles) and added another quart from the same jug. I was thinking I still had a 6 qt box and needed to leave about 2 qts in it. I kept the Fram PH3614 I took off it. It has about 300 miles on it. I may run it for some other OCI but not with Havoline oil.

Any chance I damaged my engine by running it 6 easy miles with 3 qts of oil in it? The oil pressure light went off promptly as soon and I started it and the car seemed to run good and was not noisy.

[Linked Image]

DSC_1047.JPG

You didn't realize how much oil to put in? 🤦â€â™‚ï¸

You just made the list. Bye. ⬛ï¸â¬›ï¸

Originally Posted by PimTac
You didn't realize how much oil to put in? 🤦â€â™‚ï¸

Was that what I said?

Originally Posted by dogememe
Umm... Are we being trolled? You keep saying things that don't make any sense...

I have no idea what you're talking about.
I'm going to add you to my ignore list, as I feel that some of you are trying to create a disturbance.

Originally Posted by rummy
20w-50 and you're set! 👌

no more noise ...‚

No more noise with QS AD 5w20, I'll bet.

No need to resort to a heavier oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back