Shut Off Valve Needed?

Me again, sorry for all the questions. My new this season Husqvarna TS142 does not have a fuel shut off valve I just noticed. My 20+ year old JD SX85 had one from the factory. Do newer mowers NOT come with or need a valve? Can one be added between tank and fuel pump or would I be wasting my efforts. Old JD when putting away for the winter would shut off valve and run carb dry.. Inquiring minds gotta know..........

I cant find a good picture does that have the underhood gravity gas tank or the rear style with pump?

With the gravity style its a great idea, with the fuel pump type its ok but not as necessary.

I have one on my JD 316 for end of season running it dry.. and I move it a couple times during the year to make sure it keeps working.
IF I run it dry after every mow its about 5x the starter use and the starter is a pita to replace on these.

Every relative with the gravity fed tank.. after about 5 years.. in the spring the crankcase is full of gas.. you cant see it on the dipstick its clear and you make a giant mess when you try starting it.

The did away with them largely because of the fuel shut off solenoid on the carburetor bowl. Killing the ignition, de-energizes the solenoid and stops fuel flow into the bowl.

I still like to have a manual shut-off for a gravity feed system and install inline ones on my riding mowers.

The did away with them largely because of the fuel shut off solenoid on the carburetor bowl. Killing the ignition, de-energizes the solenoid and stops fuel flow into the bowl.

I still like to have a manual shut-off for a gravity feed system and install inline ones on my riding mowers.
The solenoids stop fuel from entering the combustion chamber (prevents backfire on shutdown) not the fuel bowl itself.

I install shut offs on all my machines and run them out of fuel for long term storage. They only cost a couple bucks, I think it is worth it to add one.

Ah yessir you are correct. I forgot about the afterfire/backfire prevention thing. They stop up the main jet.

Shutoffs are vital on gravity flow carburetor systems especially ATVs and motorcycles (where the valve is often automatic). When the tank is lower than the carb, as is the case with most larger mowers having the tank under the back seat, the bowl can't overflow by gravity. Fuel flow stops when the pump stops.

Oh sorry, I should have given more info. The gas tank is under the seat right above the axle not under the hood on my Husqvarna. Lastly, what would be the way to empty the fuel bowl for winter storage or is that not really done anymore? The Harley had a shutoff and the old JD had ove. I religiously use fuel treatment like Stabil or Gumout small engine storage additive. Usually add to tank and run engine for 10 minutes.

I have a left tank / right tank / off fuel valve on my Gravely zero turn and am glad of it because when I first got it I had a problem with it hydro locking about 8 times the first season. I changed oil every time it did it and had to pull the plugs of course. Took it back to the dealer under warranty and he said that the float sticks open in the carb and they don't even carry parts for Kawasaki engines because they are so trouble free. Ha!

I left it there all winter and he finally got a new carb and got it fixed and extended my warranty one year because of all the oil I went through.

I don't know if it's fixed or not because I never shut it off without turning the gas off first. . . . lesson learned. It might be a good engine because I have over 700 wide open hours on it and it hasn't failed or used any oil yet but I was soured on the brand from the get go.

Oh sorry, I should have given more info. The gas tank is under the seat right above the axle not under the hood on my Husqvarna. Lastly, what would be the way to empty the fuel bowl for winter storage or is that not really done anymore? The Harley had a shutoff and the old JD had ove. I religiously use fuel treatment like Stabil or Gumout small engine storage additive. Usually add to tank and run engine for 10 minutes.

Short of running the tank dry, the easiest way to do it is install an inline shut off and running it until the bowl runs dry.

Inline shut offs aren't without their problems either though. It's tough to find a quality one. I've had various plastic ones leak.

GREAT suggestions All.... Thank you. Will install a shutoff right before the fuel filter located under the hood. The fuel hose in my opinion is way too long and coming up to engine area from below bends and kinks the hose. Will shorten the hose and new filter and shutoff. THANKS AGAIN

Running it out of gas until it stops doesn't completely empty the bowl. The best way to prepare for storage is to unscrew the plug or solenoid from the bottom of the bowl and drain it directly.

Short of running the tank dry, the easiest way to do it is install an inline shut off and running it until the bowl runs dry.

Inline shut offs aren't without their problems either though. It's tough to find a quality one. I've had various plastic ones leak.
I've had the best luck buying genuine Briggs and Stratton valves. I bought a pack of 5 no-name plastic valves from Amazon once, and 3 out of the 5 leaked.

I use this metal style

This model mounts to a hole for external on/off switch.

This model is inline for underhood

I dont use those brands but they are identical(looking) to the ones I do use.

Back