Should I stick with premium fuel ? GM LTG 2.0 Turbo

I’ve been purchasing premium gasoline for our Buick regal for the past five years. The engine is the somewhat infamous LTG 2.0 turbo from GM. This particular engine has a reputation for grenading due to preignition issues. How risky would it be to switch to regular unleaded?. Any LTG owners out there running regular? Thanks 😊

Not an owner however, does your owner's manual "REQUIRE" premium fuel?
If so, you should stay with premium fuel. On the other hand, if not then use whichever grade you like.

There is a difference(which you may/may not know) between "REQUIRED" & "RECOMMEND".

Also, the grenading that you mention is typically caused by too many wide open throttle(WOT) applications to RED LINE(in any engine). Some engines can take it better than others. Could also be poor design but, I've heard good things about this engine. :)

Proper lubrication or a slightly higher grade of oil(more robust) may be necessary for this engine or aggressive WOT. It can't just be about gasoline. Seems as though improper lubrication could be the cause of the grenading of others LTG 2.0L Turbo engine.

Proper lubrication for the driving style is key as well as proper fuel for that style. Be it if you only drive like you stole the vehicle or like grandpa. Use what is appropriate.

I’m assuming it’s a 2015 since you said 5 years... owners manual I found online states 91 for the 2.0 turbo. You *can* use 87 but states “Regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher can be used, but acceleration and fuel economy WILL be reduced, and an audible knocking noise may be heard. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 91 octane or higher as soon as possible.” Emphasis mine.

The few bucks saved by using 87 isn’t worth the potential engine damage IMO.

I have a 2.0 LTG turbo in my 2015 Malibu. You are talking about LSPI, which was more of problem in earlier ones. Happens at low speeds during acceleration due to, in the case of the LTG, droplets of oil in combustion chamber. The LTG is actually a really good little engine.
Think about how many platforms use it. Camaro, Impala, Malibu, Equinox, Regal, CTS, Camaro, Traverse, Terrain, ATS and I am forgetting some.
The problem isn't all that wide spread. There are millions out there. Like anything you hear about the ones that fail.
Having said all that.
Change your oil more frequently. I do the Malibu every 4000 miles. Change your oil more often, run premium and change your plugs at 65,000 miles like they tell you to.

Don't cheap out. How much are saving over a year running regular unleaded?

Last edited:
If it’s not required I’d give it a try.

I once ran an expensive car for two years on regular and it was required to run super. I lost a little acceleration, but my fuel economy didn’t drop at all. And I did lose some of the smoothness upon acceleration as well. I didn’t notice any misfires but I suppose my knock sensors were working overtime, but for me it was worth it - I was driving 500-700 miles per week and it was a V8 direct injected Lexus. I probably saved $80 bucks a month or so. My commute was mostly highway and I never pushed this car (performance wise) anyway.

I’ve been purchasing premium gasoline for our Buick regal for the past five years. The engine is the somewhat infamous LTG 2.0 turbo from GM. This particular engine has a reputation for grenading due to preignition issues. How risky would it be to switch to regular unleaded?. Any LTG owners out there running regular? Thanks 😊

Save a couple of bucks and possibly blow the engine, not a good plan. DO NOT run low octane in most forced induction engines especially one like this with almost 20 pounds of boost, the damage that could occur will be instantaneous and extreme.
This is a good engine with a lot of trick parts, most of the issues are operator/owner negligence.

Last edited:
GF's 2013 Malibu 2.0T bought new...5W30 motor oil that meets or exceeds Dexos 1 Gen 2...we use full synthetic Mobil 1 for her car...and 93 octane Premium that meets or exceeds Top Tier...Costco in the case of her Malibu...

when she first bought it and for a short time she used 87 octane as the owner's manual she had didn't call out for Premium and no sticker near the fuel fill as with many other GM products I've owned usually do...when switching to 93 octane from Costco, her MPGs went up by 3+ and responsiveness was better...seemed a wash price wise and she has used Premium Super Unleaded ever since...YMMV (actually :D )

hers has not suffered from any problems in the last 8 plus years that others have suffered with their LTG 2.0T engines and many of them have tried to save a buck by going with lower octane fuel or cheaper motor oil...

Good luck with your choice

Bill

I’ve stuck with premium. Extra 70 cents per gallon blows
If you have a Costco nearby, they often have a 30 cent octane differential. Around here, they only offer 87 and 93.

My jag will run on 87, but the improvement in MPG and drive quality make the price differential a non issue. I always use 93. 200,000 miles and no problems.

I’ve stuck with premium. Extra 70 cents per gallon blows
AF,

Yes the extra .70 does blow. I have been in the same boat, and found working extra hard identifying stations that do not mark up premium as most stations typically do was a way to reduce cost. My commute for the last twelve years in five different states seems to have been from 80-100 miles per day. My vehicles required premium, so I worked diligently to find the best price.

Here is a picture of Costco fuel prices in Salt Lake City last Thursday. Costco is selling premium for slightly below the average price of regular unleaded in my area.
PXL_20210506_170704609.MP.jpg

You fellas are doing ok, in Australia its $6.84 a gallon for our top tier premium at the moment and that is not even equivalent to your top tier premium. AUD $1.85 a litre.

You don't state in which part of the country you live. Here in the northeast, we usually have a choice of 87 for regular, 89 for mid grade and 93 for premium, although a few brands will have six levels of octane, with the three highest usually 90, 92 and 93. On trips to the west, I have seen 85 as regular and I am not sure what premium is out there? 90? I would think you would be okay with blending in some regular, but is it worth it? Here the price differential between regular and premium varies a lot from station to station. The other day it was only a 40c difference.

I have a 2.0 LTG turbo in my 2015 Malibu. You are talking about LSPI, which was more of problem in earlier ones. Happens at low speeds during acceleration due to, in the case of the LTG, droplets of oil in combustion chamber. The LTG is actually a really good little engine.
Think about how many platforms use it. Camaro, Impala, Malibu, Equinox, Regal, CTS, Camaro, Traverse, Terrain, ATS and I am forgetting some.
The problem isn't all that wide spread. There are millions out there. Like anything you hear about the ones that fail.
Having said all that.
Change your oil more frequently. I do the Malibu every 4000 miles. Change your oil more often, run premium and change your plugs at 65,000 miles like they tell you to.

Don't cheap out. How much are saving over a year running regular unleaded?
As mike pointed out, do all this on my 2017 Regal GS. (y)

AF,

Yes the extra .70 does blow. I have been in the same boat, and found working extra hard identifying stations that do not mark up premium as most stations typically do was a way to reduce cost. My commute for the last twelve years in five different states seems to have been from 80-100 miles per day. My vehicles required premium, so I worked diligently to find the best price.

Here is a picture of Costco fuel prices in Salt Lake City last Thursday. Costco is selling premium for slightly below the average price of regular unleaded in my area.
View attachment 56575
I paid 4.19 a gallon for 92 octane today, filled up the truck at 30 gallons and 3 5 gallon gas cans for the mower.

AF,

View attachment 56575
Filled the wifes 08 Malibu LTZ with Costco 91 two days ago and it was $ 3.91 a gal, over 4 bones at the other stations. ;)

Here, as of this morning, 87 octane is $3.09/gal and 93 octane is $3.65/gal. It is just going to get more expensive now that the pipeline shutdown is starting to really affect gas prices on the east coast.

As others have said, is the added expense of premium fuel worth potentially minimizing costly engine problems? For example, is spending $400 more per year for fuel over the course of say, 6 years, saving you from having more than $2,400 in engine repairs from running 87 octane? Who really knows? It just boils down to whatever you (and your wallet) are comfortable with. I run a tank of premium a few times a year just to change things up. No real scientific data that shows it makes a difference, but it feels like I am treating my car to something once in a while.

I think there is way more benefit from running a bottle of Techron concentrate through it twice a year (a week or two before an oil change) than using premium fuel. Again, that is just my preference.

All of my turbo'd engines have always run premium fuel always. Octane isn't even a question to ask.

If you can't afford premium fuel, you should consider a non-turbo engine. Sorry, but fools marketing in the owners manual will never convince me to run regular when boosted, regardless of the automaker.

The only other option is water(methanol) injection. You can figure out the cost of the system, and the boost juice(windshield washer fluid), and run low grade all you want.

Back