Short article about the origins of the side post battery.

Ahhhh, Twas another reinvention of the wheel it was. I hated the things the first time I tried to jump a frozen car way back then. Guess what , whenever I touch the one on my truck today it still irks me. They must not be anything special because nobody ever seemed to use that style except a GM.
My own thought on their purpose was nothing but $$$$$$$. Just a way to make an unusual style battery because they made their own at the time and hopefully make more on replacements. Just another reinvention of the wheel nothing more.

It was my understanding that the sealed side terminal battery was invented by GM/Delco because of the Chevy Vega which was shipped from the factory standing on end vertically in rail cars. I'm not sure why GM decided to use them in all of their vehicles. Perhaps they were cheaper to manufacture, or maybe they were toying with the idea of shipping other vehicle models this way..

I just skimmed this story, but our new '72 Vega GT was delivered by specially designed rail cars where the cars were loaded in nearly a vertical nose down position. There was mention back then that using the new sealed battery was necessary for this delivery system. I've had/have these batteries in quite a number of GM vehicles over the years and have had no particular problems with them even as I know that terminal corrosion has been an issue for many others. I do pay attention to the sealing areas for any debris and use some dielectric grease to keep moisture out.

They were a good setup, though the stock 5/16" bolt heads sucked for jump starting. Noone used the U-shaped adapters on jumper cables, or knew that they slid into that round slot.

The Plymouth Breeze used this battery style, too, IIRC, and buried it deep in the fender liner.

Thank Heavens that article was as short as it was. Whatta buncha empty fluff....kind of like listening to a description of Crypto-currency.

"Other advantages...are improved under-hood appearance and foolproof terminal connections during installation."
Don't let the General do you any favors.

QUESTION: Who got the credit for designing the near vertical Vega delivery rain cars? We'll never see a Lionel version of that one.

Even though Delco invented the side-terminal battery, their manufactured side terminal batteries were notorious for leaking acid at the terminals. It took third-party manufacturers to solve that.

[Linked Image]

That's insane. Are they resting on the front bumpers or hanging by the rear axles? How are they secured from swaying and knocking into each other?

I never cared for their side terminal batteries, add some years of corrosion and it was far too easy to strip the threads. A threaded lead hole is not the place to be cleaning corrosion off and expecting a good as new result as you'd get with top terminal studs.

Back