Shop-Vac closed

still need to replace a paper filter element for a wet/dry vac.......
better get to the hardware store before they vanish. : (

My only experience with a genuine Shop*Vac was it made a lot more noise than competitors' machines. There is a substantial segment of American consumers who like that though.

Last edited:
I have a Shop Vac with a reusable filter that is over 20 years old. That beast has lasted!!! Used it often for my Porter Cable sander vac port. Still going and cleans the car and truck and garage. No signs of failure.

I have a Shop Vac with a reusable filter that is over 20 years old. That beast has lasted!!! Used it often for my Porter Cable sander vac port. Still going and cleans the car and truck and garage. No signs of failure.
I mistakenly left mine in place for wet vac duty, then it dried out & fell apart.

I still have a Shop-Vac, professional, quiet, stainless steel.
I watched a PF review of vacuums recently - quality has really gone down among most. I couldn't believe how poorly the lids sealed to the barrels.

By the way, if you google you can see a few Shop-Vac "SR" series, having a switched reluctor motor that has a 10 year warranty.
Different machines from the ones sold in the big box stores.

Sad. I like my shop vac. I was about to buy another, but what use is it now?

Like in one of Bruce Springsteen’s songs, “foreman says those jobs are goin’, boys, and they aint coming back... to your home town”

Very sad!
I've used a Shop-Vac most of my home ownership in my garage. I drive by the plant every time I travel down to PA to see our daughter.

I’m sorry to hear this news. When Vise Grip moved production overseas, they laid off a smaller group of people. The result was nothing short of catastrophic for the local area. We hear a lot of rhetoric about jobs, but the reality is, news like this just hurts.

I have 2 of the stainless steel Shop Vac’s. Both are working just fine after 2 decades. Fine product indeed.

Back