Shop-Vac closed

Great times! Yes this is another sad situation. Unfortunately, there will be more to come. The country will need to rebuild the economy once it flattens out. We are not there yet.

Hard to believe that someone in the US couldn't have bought the company and made a go of it.
Many times the problem is bad management that isn't removed by the BoD or shareholders.

Look at the PF video on vacs. HF sells two different ones alone, and one was close to the winner. HD sells a ton of store brand (Ridgid), so I suspect shop vac was hurting for a while.

Look at the PF video on vacs. HF sells two different ones alone, and one was close to the winner. HD sells a ton of store brand (Ridgid), so I suspect shop vac was hurting for a while.
As with any decent American made product, they will just produce something very similar and sell it for 30% less.

"In a letter reportedly given to workers, Shop-Vac says that they are in dire financial conditions due to the global pandemic and financial crisis"

It looks like SV had a buyer on the table and they walked. As mentioned above the company has problems. We went through this in the mid 2000's. Its all a rebuilding process that will take many years to fix.

My daughter just drove by the plant in Williamsport on the way home from NY to PA this morning and said that there is a large banner on the building that says "NOW HIRING"!

I just went to their website today to look for a new shop vac and saw it was now under a recovery firm or something. Got to reading and saw all of this stuff. Bummer.

I imagine their inventory will be liquidated soon, so then we might start finding their stuff for sale in the bargain stores like Big Lots. Hoping I can snag some of the replacement bags on discount then.

The deal is done. According to this article the company assets were purchased by Hangzhou Great Star and production is going to continue. There is still new inventory in mainstream stores.
4AAF2CC3-2BF5-4FED-BA76-5BB918BEE714.png
532CE404-424A-4918-947F-244CE7601421.jpeg

The value of a established brand name cannot be underestimated. Shop Vac became the generic name of that piece of equipment. “Can I borrow your shop vac?” Yes, there will be Shop Vacs made in China soon.

Reading into the original article it looks as though the company may not have been managed too terribly well (see quote below) and after sale fell through the family said to hell with it, shut it down. I hope tracing CARES act funding they obtained (if any) is par for the course for situations like these.

"Jason Fink, president and CEO of the Williamsport/Lycoming Chamber of Commerce, said ownership did not reach out to the community for assistance in any of its challenges, noting that if it had, there might have been a better outcome for the employees and the business."

"Jason Fink, president and CEO of the Williamsport/Lycoming Chamber of Commerce, said ownership did not reach out to the community for assistance in any of its challenges, noting that if it had, there might have been a better outcome for the employees and the business."
This is pretty shocking to say the least, WHY? It's really one of those inexplicable situations. I bet the county would have been willing to give them huge tax breaks just for the asking which might have kept the company solvent until a suitable buyer could have been found, and kept the employees working. Very strange.

I will say that the Chinese while I don't care for their ownership of things has shown that they will keep plants operating in the USA or even open new plants and employ a lot of Americans, like the auto glass company recently that opened a huge new plant in the midwest.

Back