Shop made bin drawer storage project

I have needed more organized storage for quite some time so I came up with this plan and was able to complete this project yesterday.
US made bin drawers . 2 different widths 17” deep. With metal prices the way they are the goal was to keep it light but yet sturdy enough to support a fairly heavy load of bolts and what have ya.
I had my buddy waterjet the sides to accept 3/4” square tube cross members. It worked out so well I’m going to start rat holing drawers for another one that fills an even taller shelf on the other end of my bench. I know Spaz and others on here like fabricating stuff for their shops so this may spark some ideas.

1644414992229.jpeg

1644415199294.jpeg

1644415301329.jpg

1644415555673.jpeg

My doodle drawing was clean enough I just sent it to the cutter as is rather than a complete redraw. My baby doll commented that it’s the first project we’ve done in years that didn’t require a bunch of fasteners and what have ya’s. Now I have 2 junk drawers that are full to the top and I have not seen the bottom in years that got to get sorted out. 😆

I had the same concern Jeff. I have 2 bolts welded on the back side of the front cross member that I was going to make 2 L brackets to screw it to the bottom of the shelf above but as of now it don’t look like it needs it. When I get some weight on it I may need the brackets but we’ll see.
I wanted to bend flanges on the front and back sides to control the racking but the longest press brake tooling I have is 26”.
If this was a free standing unit out on a bench I would have included the flanges on it but having the shelf above is a good enough plan B.

Easy enough to run a diagonal brace on the back if needed. You build tidy stuff. (y)

I bought some sheet steel before Christmas for a project, holy smokes. 14 gauge over $10/sq ft, 2'x2' was $45.

Easy enough to run a diagonal brace on the back if needed. You build tidy stuff. (y)

I bought some sheet steel before Christmas for a project, holy smokes. 14 gauge over $10/sq ft, 2'x2' was $45.
Oh man it has been brutal here. Just had a chat with the owner of my go to steel supply house Saturday about steel prices and he said that prices are coming down fast because those that can are waiting it out. I rat holed a big chunk of 3/4 plate for a really cool press brake build that I want to do before the ............ hit and have been holding off for 2 years to let prices settle down to finish buying what I need but I think it’s time to just get it done.
(2) 20’ sticks of 14 ga 3/4 sq tube set me back $51 out the door Saturday..... ouch

Back