Shipping a car to another country to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
4,989
Location
the canyons
Thread starter
Make sure you have all the proper documents. I've done this when we lived in some other countries for a little while.
 
Messages
4,989
Location
the canyons
Thread starter
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Wasn't this video posted earlier today under a different thread title?
I posted it. It was removed. I assume because I had posted it with in retrospect, a possibly inflammatory title. It's still good advice for those like myself and the guy in the video who have shipped vehicles to use in other countries.
 
Last edited:

pbm

Messages
8,709
Location
New York
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Wasn't this video posted earlier today under a different thread title?
I think the earlier version was deleted because an IDIOT brought race into the conversation…..
 
Messages
4,989
Location
the canyons
Thread starter
That's too bad. I never saw any replies before it was removed, so I assumed it was my poorly chosen thread title.
 
Messages
21,302
Location
Apple Valley, California
Originally Posted by 02SE
That's too bad. I never saw any replies before it was removed, so I assumed it was my poorly chosen thread title.
Usually a mod will just fix the title instead of deleting it. I posted about a murder near me in off topic and it disappeared before I got to read any responses.
 
Messages
6,193
Location
New England
I see Canadian plates constantly and how are they any different then a Dubai, Ireland or Guatemala plate? Chatty Cathy driver who could have handed over documents and an embarrassment to law enforcement who could have simply asked for documents and called in for help or used that cruiser laptop to research the law.
 
Last edited:
Messages
1,434
Location
UT
What an arrogant, rich jerk. He may have tried to sound accommodating towards the officer, but he did a poor job of hiding his condescending tone. Who in their right mind would expect the average working class joe to relate to importing an exotic sports cars every two years and drive around the continent. I don't get the suggestion that the driver "owned" the patrolman. It seems the only reason this went as well as it did for the Lambo driver is because of the professionalism of the officer. It never pays to be such a jerk when you tell an officer he is wrong. You may be right. But the way you say it makes all the difference. "I know you're confused." Yea, that's a great opening line for the next edition of How to Win Friends and Influence People. Less than a minute and he's already insulted the officer. The way the Lambo driver acted after the cop left says it all.
 
Last edited:
Messages
4,989
Location
the canyons
Thread starter
It's interesting. My best friend was an Officer, and I know many more. I have nothing but respect for good Officers. My impression is that this Officer was ignorant, impatient, and arrogant. The driver was respectful and tried to answer the officers questions and accusations. He produced all the necessary documents. Ultimately he was let go because the officer finally realized the driver knew what he was talking about, and most importantly he had the necessary documentation. And he probably called someone while back in the patrol car that knew the law... As I said I've done the same thing by shipping a car overseas to use while living there for a little while. I had some conversations with Officers while there, but those Officers knew the law, weren't accusatory towards me, and they were generally pleasant experiences.
 
Last edited:

pbm

Messages
8,709
Location
New York
Originally Posted by BHopkins
What an arrogant, rich jerk. He may have tried to sound accommodating towards the officer, but he did a poor job of hiding his condescending tone. Who in their right mind would expect the average working class joe to relate to importing an exotic sports cars every two years and drive around the continent. I don't get the suggestion that the driver "owned" the patrolman. It seems the only reason this went as well as it did for the Lambo driver is because of the professionalism of the officer. It never pays to be such a jerk when you tell an officer he is wrong. You may be right. But the way you say it makes all the difference. "I know you're confused." Yea, that's a great opening line for the next edition of How to Win Friends and Influence People. Less than a minute and he's already insulted the officer. The way the Lambo driver acted after the cop left says it all.
I agree. I would imagine that 'the law' that we are talking about would include some kind of temporary plate.....
 
Messages
12,551
Location
Phoenix, AZ
Originally Posted by BHopkins
What an arrogant, rich jerk. He may have tried to sound accommodating towards the officer, but he did a poor job of hiding his condescending tone. Who in their right mind would expect the average working class joe to relate to importing an exotic sports cars every two years and drive around the continent. I don't get the suggestion that the driver "owned" the patrolman. It seems the only reason this went as well as it did for the Lambo driver is because of the professionalism of the officer. It never pays to be such a jerk when you tell an officer he is wrong. You may be right. But the way you say it makes all the difference. "I know you're confused." Yea, that's a great opening line for the next edition of How to Win Friends and Influence People. Less than a minute and he's already insulted the officer. The way the Lambo driver acted after the cop left says it all.
You must be stuck in your little Utah bubble with your blinders on, and must have never seen another person's culture. It's called a language barrier, he did well and tried his best to communicate with the officer as his English doesn't come across as perfect.
 
Messages
9,373
Location
Canuck living in California
This is not as big of an issue as many seem to think. Perhaps if you drive an exotic car, but for regular cars, that don't stand out, I don't think it's a big deal. When I imported my Mazda 3 from Canada to US, I drove on Canadian plates for several months while I was waiting for the DMV appointment and then their temp plates. Of course I had all the proper paperwork. The only incident I had was about one week after I imported the car, an officer pulled up next to me at a red light, rolled down the window and asked how long have I been in the US. I replied one week, and he said to remove the plate covers, as they are illigal in CA. I thanked him and removed the covers that same day. I never had an issue with my Canadian plates.
 
Last edited:
Messages
22,084
Location
Dallas,Tx USA
Originally Posted by pbm
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Wasn't this video posted earlier today under a different thread title?
I think the earlier version was deleted because an IDIOT brought race into the conversation…..
Afaik there was no racing involved. The gentleman from the UAE was totally and completely within the law (I just had a conversation with one of my girlfriend's attorney friends) and the officer is uneducated and uninformed of the law. Sounds like from his attitude towards the gentleman in the car he pulled over,that he has a chip on his shoulder against foreigners. Once the gentleman in the Lamborghini proved him wrong,the officer pouted and sulked off like a small child and pretended to have a "call" I feel the gentleman in the Lamborghini is owed an apology.
 
Messages
6,193
Location
New England
Originally Posted by KrisZ
This is not as big of an issue as many seem to think. Perhaps if you drive an exotic car, but for regular cars, that don't stand out, I don't think it's a big deal. When I imported my Mazda 3 from Canada to US, I drove on Canadian plates for several months while I was waiting for the DMV appointment and then their temp plates. Of course I had all the proper paperwork. The only incident I had was about one week after I imported the car, an officer pulled up next to me at a red light, rolled down the window and asked how long have I been in the US. I replied one week, and he said to remove the plate covers, as they are illigal in CA. I thanked him and removed the covers that same day. I never had an issue with my Canadian plates.
I was curious and its dead easy to let Mexican and Canadian plated cars into our country as tourist as it happens daily without incident by CBP. However outside our North/South neighbors the complexity starts to happen and paper work needs to get produced. I would not expect any police officer to understand the laws specific to each country beyond more paperwork required.
 

pbm

Messages
8,709
Location
New York
Originally Posted by pbm
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Wasn't this video posted earlier today under a different thread title?
I think the earlier version was deleted because an IDIOT brought race into the conversation…..
The poster I'm referring to called the officer 'white trash'....when I sent him a simple 3 word PM .."White trash...really"?...he denied saying it at first. I said I apologize if I have the wrong member but it's impossible to double check because the thread had been removed....he then became abusive and used a lot of profanity rather than taking ownership of bringing race into the conversation ….I realized then that just because a member has 19600+ posts doesn't mean that he has any class or character.
 
Messages
22,084
Location
Dallas,Tx USA
Just a quick fyi pbm,"white" is not a race,just as me being Asian,my race isn't "yellow" as some people like to say. My girlfriend is Mexican. Her race is not "brown". Before you post such nonsense, please be informed and educated.
 

pbm

Messages
8,709
Location
New York
Blaming the officers 'race' for his behavior is 'racist'....you can play all the word games you want ...it doesn't change the fact that you made a point of the officers 'race' and were too COWARDLY to admit it when it was pointed out....your entire (PM) response was CLASSLESS.....
 
Messages
4,989
Location
the canyons
Thread starter
Originally Posted by Reddy45
Daily blood pressure spike thread?
I posted it just as a PSA, to have all your documents in order if you temporarily import a vehicle to another country.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top